Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my rzr tore apart for some winter maintenance and figured it was time to replace the original battery. I picked up an odyssey PC1200 which I've read here will be a direct replacement for the stock one. Now I'm thinking while I'm at it, may as well do a dual battery setup.
I've done a lot of searching here but didn't really find any answers to my specific questions. From what I gather, the PC925 will fit right in the small space next to the fuse block. Easy enough, but here is where I start to get confused.
I've read some people suggest to just get the 925, while others say to get the 925L for better terminal location. Not sure which to get? I know I'll need a dual battery install kit with an isolator, but again not sure which one to get. Do any of them come with a tie down bracket for the second battery? Also the second battery location is kinda tapered. Does the 925 sit flat in this space? Does it block the drain hole? Does anyone make a bottom bracket for this area for the battery to sit on?
Another thing I cant find info on, I know that the 1200 should be used for all the accessories and the smaller 925 for starting. How is this done when all the wiring now goes to primary battery location where the 1200 will be? Will I have to rewire everything from the starter, busbar, ect? If so do install kits come with all this new wiring and detailed instructions?
A lot of questions, I know.. I'm hoping to do a quick, SIMPLE install. I'm no electrician but I'm somewhat mechanically inclined and can follow instructions if they make sense lol.. Any help with this install is much appreciated, thanks!

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
3,127 Posts
Here's me experience, and I will tell you up front, that most post people will recommend you do it different, for various reasons, and their reasons are perfectly justifiable and accurate, but I will also tell you, that if you're attentive enough to what you have on, and for how long, with the machine not running, then you don't need an isolater, and you will have less wiring, less clutter, and both batteries used all the time, and it saves you some $. I had a 925 (not L) laying around from my old XP 900 when I first wired all my accessories into my machine. I had kept this battery on a maintainer while it was not in use, so it was still in great condition. I wired it directly to the OEM battery, just straight positive to positive, negative to negative. Two cables, done. I also didn't have time to fab up a mount when I originally put it in, so I folded up a rag and put it in the hole to take up the space (it does block the drain hole, but so does my skid plate), and ran it like that with no problems ( for about 8 months, lol ) until I had time to get a mount ( I actually ended up buying THIS set, which is overpriced, but it was easy ).

That is about the least optimal way to do it, for a couple reasons, some will even tell you it won't work, or that it will overcharge one battery or the other, but two years later, through the hell I've put my machine through, and with more electrical accessories that are very frequently used than most, I've never had a dead battery, and have no signs of either getting weak ( I load tested both a couple weeks ago, still plenty in the green). I'm not necessarily saying you should do it this way, but I wanted to point out, that most aspects of it, are far less critical that it may seem.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's me experience, and I will tell you up front, that most post people will recommend you do it different, for various reasons, and their reasons are perfectly justifiable and accurate, but I will also tell you, that if you're attentive enough to what you have on, and for how long, with the machine not running, then you don't need an isolater, and you will have less wiring, less clutter, and both batteries used all the time, and it saves you some $. I had a 925 (not L) laying around from my old XP 900 when I first wired all my accessories into my machine. I had kept this battery on a maintainer while it was not in use, so it was still in great condition. I wired it directly to the OEM battery, just straight positive to positive, negative to negative. Two cables, done. I also didn't have time to fab up a mount when I originally put it in, so I folded up a rag and put it in the hole to take up the space (it does block the drain hole, but so does my skid plate), and ran it like that with no problems ( for about 8 months, lol ) until I had time to get a mount ( I actually ended up buying THIS set, which is overpriced, but it was easy ).

That is about the least optimal way to do it, for a couple reasons, some will even tell you it won't work, or that it will overcharge one battery or the other, but two years later, through the hell I've put my machine through, and with more electrical accessories that are very frequently used than most, I've never had a dead battery, and have no signs of either getting weak ( I load tested both a couple weeks ago, still plenty in the green). I'm not necessarily saying you should do it this way, but I wanted to point out, that most aspects of it, are far less critical that it may seem.
Very interesting, thanks for the info! I hadn't even thought about going the non isolator route, haven't found any info other then going with a standard kit with an isolator. Definitely gives me another option, thanks!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So RWB, you are running the 1200 and 925 in tandem still? Was the mount you linked just hold down straps or is there something underneath also? Thanks

·
Registered
472 Posts
I wont be running an isolstor with my setup.

Positive to positive
Negative to negative

Done.
first time I read that, I read it wrong and freaked out for a sec.

Just curious why dual batteries? are you looking to run a 1000 watt stereo for a dance party for several hours without the engine running? or leave the lights on for several hours while you are digging a grave for all those dead hookers? ….you know what you did and they will catch you....🤐

Seriously though that odyssey 1200 is a great battery I have one and it has plenty of power to run an average to slightly excessive number of accessories already.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
3,127 Posts
So RWB, you are running the 1200 and 925 in tandem still? Was the mount you linked just hold down straps or is there something underneath also? Thanks
They’re just hold downs, nothing more

I’m running the OEM & a 925, I bought the hold down set because I know when I do replace the OEM, I’ll go to a 1200 series

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
first time I read that, I read it wrong and freaked out for a sec.

Just curious why dual batteries? are you looking to run a 1000 watt stereo for a dance party for several hours without the engine running? or leave the lights on for several hours while you are digging a grave for all those dead hookers? ….you know what you did and they will catch you....🤐

Seriously though that odyssey 1200 is a great battery I have one and it has plenty of power to run an average to slightly excessive number of accessories already.
Nah, gave up on the dead hookers, they were stinking up the basement, wife wasnt happy.. lol! No, dont run too many electronics, a 4 speeker stereo, gps, a small light bar and winch is about it. I just thought it couldn't hurt to have an extra battery, I dont use that space anyway.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They’re just hold downs, nothing more

I’m running the OEM & a 925, I bought the hold down set because I know when I do replace the OEM, I’ll go to a 1200 series
I gotcha. So those tie downs are specific to a rzr with the odyssey 1200 and 925? I didn't realize the factory hold down wouldn't fit the 1200, I may have to grab that set you linked. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m not certain if the factory hold down fits a 1200 honestly, haven’t had to try yet! But yeah, that set is specific to the 1200/925 combo in a rzr
Just double checking, the 925 hold down was designed to hold the battery in place on its side, correct? I thought I read that's the only way it will fit in that spot

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I
I just checked both batteries to confirm. The factory hold down will not fit the 1200 battery anyway, the tops are shaped completely different

It doesn't?

I will be making a dual battery box for the 1200 / 925 setup shortly. It will be made from 6061 11g aluminum. It will house both batteries. Once I get the design done and trial fitted I'll post pictures in my build. If you're still working on yours and want one let me know

·
Registered
339 Posts
Just a heads up for those running dual batts + to + and - to - w/o an isolator. Connect machine's pos cable to pos of one batt and machine's neg cable to neg of other batt. If hooked to same batt, most current will be used from that batt and charging will be to that batt. The 2nd batt is basically not useful. Based on path of least resistance. JMHO

I have dual batts with isolator. Factory batt is for starting and stock lighting and odyssey 925 is for everything else.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Well, positive to positive, negative to negative sure as heck works great in my jeeps and my race car..

Hasnt failed me in 13 years with pulling way more amps then what my rzr will be pulling.

·
Registered
339 Posts
It does make a difference in RVs and boats. So why not SxSs? Again electrical path of least resistance.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts