Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are planning a 2-3 day trip in late October and want to go to either KY, TN, or WV
Our preferred style is scenic and some mild technical (green / blue)
She has a stock 570 Ace and I have a stock 570 RZR.
We were thinking Rush but the lack of things to do when not riding is making us lean towards TN or WV with heavy emphasis on WV.
We want to trailer and and get a cabin and not touch the trailer until we leave.
For WV and our riding preferences are we better off with the southern HM trails or the northern ones?
For TN is RRB (TWRA) a better choice? (the cost to ride is higher per vehicle)
I have read a lot of threads on this board and watched a lot of vids on YouTube and it just makes me keep flip flopping.

Thanks in advance for any advice and hope everyone had a good 4th.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
530 Posts
Having been to all 3, my first recommendation is to forget Rush even exists. It is a rutted up goat pasture that is not maintained. Now if you like rock crawling and tearing up your machine, have at it, but it is more of a playground than trails through the woods.

Between WV and TN, I would say WV hands down. Was at RRB a month ago and it was rutted up pretty bad. Even on Green trails there were several places where people had made their own paths around mudholes. I should not ever have to use a winch on a Green trail, but I did. Now Windrock was nice. It is much rougher than WV, but has every kind of trail and some awesome places to see from overlooks to the Prison and the old train. Never been to Brimstone, but planning to go this fall. All 3 are within 30-45 minutes of each other.

In WV, the northern system (RH, DA and BM) is a bit rockier and more mountainous and the southern systems (PO. IR, PC and WA) which are more wide open. Those 570's will easily do most Blues without a problem. All depends on what you want to do. The northern systems have plenty of cool things to see and do, but the southern's have more "sights" off the outlaws.

I prefer the southern systems, but from where I live (just outside of Charleston) i hit the northern systems more often because I can be there and unloaded in a little over and hour. If it is your first time, I would say try the southern systems but get a guide (Daniel Osbourne, Chris Strong, Ziggy and a few others) They will take you to places on the outlaws that aren't on the maps such as wild horses, Flag Rock, Wilmore Dam, Beer Can Alley (might be hard on the Ace if it has rained a lot). Also, the southern systems have better lodging options in terms of cabins.

And don't forget about Spearhead in VA. It is VA's version of HM and is just as nice, but other than the Original Pocahontas, their trails are a bit tougher.

Feel free to ask an specific question you might have and I will do my best to answer it. There are several HM centric Facebook Pages as well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, that feedback seems to line up with other things I have been reading.

Being our first trip down I want it to be as enjoyable as possible for my wife especially.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Wild willys is a great place to stay. Willy and Bonnie are great. Trails are close by. Peaceful friendly atmosphere. Headed there next week. You won’t be disappointed.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I agree with everything herdfan said. We were just down at royal blue and it was rutt city, lots of winching.. Also wasnt impressed with Rush at all. We prefer the northern systems of the Hatfield and macoys but pretty much have to trailer if you want to ride different trail systems. The southern H and M trails all connect so no need to trailer really. We brought the toy hauler down to Ashland resort a couple years ago and had access to all the trail systems right from camp. The southern trails for the most part are pretty mellow and scenic.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I believe the southern route is the winner.
Now to decide between wild willys or Bramwell atv resort

Thank you all for the responses

Maybe next time will be VA
The nice thing about their permit is that it goes 1 yr from the date you purchase it rather than 1/1 to 1/1.

·
Registered
530 Posts

The nice thing about their permit is that it goes 1 yr from the date you purchase it rather than 1/1 to 1/1.

They also sell day passes as well.

You might also want to consider getting a tablet with GPS for tracking your ride. Don't really need it for just the HM stuff, but most of the cool sights are on the outlaw trails.

So check out BobT's Maps. Just google it and download the pdf. It has links to all the apps and files you will need. And it's free.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

They also sell day passes as well.

You might also want to consider getting a tablet with GPS for tracking your ride. Don't really need it for just the HM stuff, but most of the cool sights are on the outlaw trails.

So check out BobT's Maps. Just google it and download the pdf. It has links to all the apps and files you will need. And it's free.
Already downloaded BCN and BobT maps on phone and looking at a tablet before the trip.
Been checking it out and very impressed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What does everyone do for meals while staying at Wild Willy's?
Plan rides around how long it takes to get to a restaurant?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
There's places to eat. Dinner Bucket in Northfork, Wrong turn pizza( breakfast as well) above Ashland.While on the trail there's The Rebel and Subway in Mullens,; Ole' Jose, Arby's, Pinnacle drive in in Pineville,; Sterling drive in, KFC, McDonald's,Pizza Hut in Welch; and a couple good places in War if you make it that far.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, I was trying to figure all that out, from WW its a hike to get to Bramwell, which is the reason I mentioned planning the trail ride around potential destinations.
I will go over the routes and see where those are.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All booked for WW for the week of 10/21
Samsung tablet on order
Now to figure out the case and mount

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Fuel is the biggest problem I found in WV.
Wild willies is a good place to stay but as I stated above fuel was the biggest issue we had.
Half a tank rides and half tank back unless you cross the mountain and get fuel and use it coming back.
Dirt road riding mostly unless you find the outlaw trails and most of those are pretty short.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We love WV and our favorite place is Twin Hollow in Gilbert. Stayed there 6 times. We don’t even take food as they have restaurant on site with great food. Trail access to rock house is on the property. No issues with fuel as trails lead to each town where streets are open to ATV/ Utv’s. You will love the Trails and scenery

1 - 20 of 40 Posts