Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For almost two years, James Bingham’s off-road vehicle had provided endless fun on camping and hunting trips in Idaho. The vehicle, a four-seat Polaris RZR, could zip across the sand hills at up to 80 miles an hour.

He expected the same kind of thrill on a weekend outing with friends in May. But minutes into the first ride, with Steven Groves, 23, in the passenger seat, chaos erupted.

“Steven yelled, ‘Fire!’” Mr. Bingham said. “All I saw was orange.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/06/business/polaris-rzr-fires.html?searchResultPosition=1&fbclid=IwAR2W9p2lCLwW2PqZo76qoON9nCVNoGyypIld4YvYua9Go_CAUQdNtvu_pk4

Not a complementary article that's for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
Here is my theory on these fires.

1) improperly wired accessories.

2) non robust fuel containers.

3) component failure. fuel rail, fuel line, return line fitting in top of tank.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Would be interesting to know what environment most fires occur. Sand or trail use.

Very sad. Problem is all evidence is destroyed, figuring out the cause is impossible.

Way it sounds, it was a explosive fire. That would need lots of gas in small area. No one should carry gas containers on the sand. Too much force.

·
Registered
244 Posts
OH man, putting my RZR up for sale right now... Wait maybe that could make me cop-able in the event it catches fire and someone dies, I should just go light mine on fire now and get it over with.......

·
Registered
513 Posts
"Manufacturers are required to report to the agency within 24 hours of receiving information that suggests a product is defective, like a fire. But before its recall of 160,000 vehicles in 2016, Polaris notified regulators only after it had learned of 150 fires, one fatality and 11 burn injuries"

That is extremely shady ..... corporate greed costing human lives is just plain wrong

·
Registered
858 Posts
Did anyone read the comments on that article?
I just went back and did. It took everything in me to not unleash on a few of them. The mentality is just mind boggling.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Comments need approval there. I get tired of the eccentric eco freaks exaggerating the perceived negative impacts of our sport, and using false claims to disparage our source of recreation. That does give them traction for their actions with others who are sympathetic, but don't know otherwise.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Did anyone read the comments on that article?
I just went back and did. It took everything in me to not unleash on a few of them. The mentality is just mind boggling.

Comments need approval there.
WOW! You are wanting us to believe that free press is not so free???? :surprise Of course they are only going to allow those who agree with their bigoted views a voice. What is that old saying, "my mind is made up, do not confess me with facts."

Really a good lesson on what our country is coming to. REMEMBER this when you vote.

·
Registered
858 Posts

Comments need approval there.
WOW! You are wanting us to believe that free press is not so free???? :surprise Of course they are only going to allow those who agree with their bigoted views a voice. What is that old saying, "my mind is made up, do not confess me with facts."

Really a good lesson on what our country is coming to. REMEMBER this when you vote.
A few are engaging them. The people that oppose our sport have no problem expressing their opinions, albeit through sanctimonious strawman arguments. A lot of us don't get involved. Our political climate isn't entirely unfriendly to our sport right now. Our side needs to be more proactive now, for when it is unfriendly.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I read this first thing this morning and have been thinking about getting a fire extinguisher kit and well it got ordered 1 hour later! Yea I doubt it will work if it goes up in flames in a hurry but could always save it if its caught in time. I really think most of these fires are gas issues, I will never carry gas on one of these and it seems like you shouldn't be wearing your seatbelts so you can get out quicker heck idk this is crazy

·
Premium Member
7,281 Posts
From what I've seen, most fires are XP1000. The XP1000 has a unique fuel rail, not used in any other RZR, with a 90 degree plastic connection to the fuel line. The plastic connector has been found cracked open in at least one fire that was put out immediately.

So if you have an XP1K and want to reduce the possibility, replace that plastic connector with a metal one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
The problem is without question a concern, but these so called environmentalists are idiots, these are the same people that want everyone to drive electric cars to "save the environment " but somehow dont realize how electricity is made....SMFH
Or how much energy it takes to mine, process, transport, manufacture etc. the material to produce the battery's that go in these electric cars. I read an article some place that it uses up the equivalent of something like 8 years of driving a normal car to make 1 electric car. From what I heard after about 8 years the batteries are about worn out anyway.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
From what I've seen, most fires are XP1000. The XP1000 has a unique fuel rail, not used in any other RZR, with a 90 degree plastic connection to the fuel line. The plastic connector has been found cracked open in at least one fire that was put out immediately.

So if you have an XP1K and want to reduce the possibility, replace that plastic connector with a metal one.

Does anyone know if this (replacing the plastic rail with a metal one) is part of the recall? From what I could see mine appeared to be two different voltage regulators and cookie sheets.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts

Good input Denver. Any ideal if this is all years? Any ideal on finding correct parts?

·
Registered
31 Posts
yes, there are idiots in new york, and california, etc. yes, the ny times is libtard leaning. but just bcuz someone invested $20k+ into a rzr (us) doesn't mean polaris can do no wrong. this is not a new issue and people have lost their lives so we would be wise to consider what we do know even if tree huggers are hating.
it has long concerned me that polaris never seemed to come up with a root cause and therefore i was never convinced the heat shield remedy was the solution. their reporting ethics is a separate issue.
without being able to find the exact statistics, i made a conservative guesstimate. if there are 1M rzrs out there and there were 200 fires, that might possibly could be put our risk at 1 in 5000 for a fire. better odds if more rzrs are out there. statisticians or wannabes: don't crucify me for a simplified reality check; kindly correct if you wish. but in my thinking these are not terrible enough odds for me to put my 1000 on craigslist.
nonetheless, i have been cautious for the last year. i too suspect fuel leaks are involved so i always run with minimum fuel and keep refils back at camp. my rzr hardly uses any gas. i can drive all day on half a tank and have never run out of fuel. less gas means less likely to gus out somewhere that springs a leak. easy precaution, cost $0. at least it's not burying my head in the sand.
i've considered an extinguisher too but doubt it would touch a fuel fire that was big enough to notice in the first place and by the time i could get to it. i might just get one anyway.
the last thing i did was purchase seat belt cutters and tie them at everybody's reach with breakaway safety ties. $18 for four, cheap insurance. make sure everybody knows where they are and how to use them. practice 5s exit drills.
1/5000 is enough risk to be prudently concerned. and for those who suffered tragic loss including burns: there are no words. be careful out there. i sure hope polaris figures something out.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts

Good input Denver. Any ideal if this is all years? Any ideal on finding correct parts?
Our 17 XP1000 had a recall. It has a square metal fuel rail. The main fuel supply hose on drivers side still has a plastic connector. Only other plastic around it is the top of the injectors where the electrical wires plug in.

Any concern about the plastic main fuel line connector? Is there a way to change it to metal?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well the article has a lot of information and a lot of facts/sources so although not the kind of article I enjoy it does seem valid. And yes when I bought my rzr I knew of the fires so that’s exactly why I try to be as smart as possible. Gas fumes are more flammable then gas so I’m not sure if running around with a half tank of fuel would really help much but the seatbelt cutters seem to be a good idea. I also think I’ll avoid carrying extra fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 108 Posts