Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 rzr narrow with a 2" racertech lift and 26 inch bighorns on stock steel wheels. The lift and tires have been on all summer with no problem. Last weekend went on a ride and bout half way through started noticing a rhythmic thunk form the front end area. The wierd thing is it makes no difference whether turning or forward or reverse. It only makes the noise at about a walking speed or less. Any faster and the noise isnt there. Makes no difference whether two or four wheel drive. I have shook rattled yanked and turned everything I can think of but cant duplicate the noise in the garage. Just wondering if any one has had similar issues.

·
King of crash!
31,882 Posts
jack it up and check your ball joints and also look to see if they move at the pinch bolts.... and check your tie rods and wheel bearings too. if none of them it could be the start of a c/v going out...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By higher speed i meen all i havr to do is go over walking speed and i cant hear it. If i drive it as slow as it will go i can actually feel it in the floorboards. Very rhythmic. Seems to be timer with either the axles or the driveline. I cant seem to duplicate the noise on jacks. The problem showed up after some good rock crawlimg in chinaman gultch in colorado. Drove it for anather 5 hours afterwards with no drag or wierd steering like a cv or diff was locking up. Its a real pain to tru to walk or crawl next to it in the driveway.

·
Stay Thirsty My Friends..
17 Posts
Any word on this?

I ask as I just started having the EXACT thing happening. Same characteristics right down to feeling it in the driver side floorboard.

Up on Jacks however I could "kinda sorta" reproduce it by rotating the driver side front wheel. The best I could hear it was at the brake calipers. I did this without the wheel on. Sprayed brake cleaner and lubed. Still happens.

It ran fine all last weekend and was noticed after I cleaned her up. Runs fine, just the clicking noise at the lower roll. Fluid levels are good however I am past due for a change.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I havent figured it out yet. I havent taken it for a ride since, been busy. I jacked it up and slowly rotated all for tires and could not feel anything. When it is jacked up the cvs are at a steeper angle than when driving so dont think it is cvs. It seems to happen with the driveline rotation speed. Kind of hard to track down, hanging out looking under the rig while driving gets old fast. Will have to jack it up onto stands and run it in gear and see if I can get it to repeat itself.

·
King of crash!
31,882 Posts
id pull the pinch bolt on the ball joint and pull it out one joint at a time and then grab the stub for the joint see if it moves up n down or feels lose im betting on this.... or a lose wheel bearing

·
Stay Thirsty My Friends..
17 Posts
Drumroll Please....

My issue turned out to be a $43 driver side brake rotor. It was warped. Would have never thunk it by niose it made.

Thanks all for the tips, tricks and suggestion as it got me looking in the right direction.

:ride:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I havent figured it out yet. I havent taken it for a ride since, been busy. I jacked it up and slowly rotated all for tires and could not feel anything. When it is jacked up the cvs are at a steeper angle than when driving so dont think it is cvs. It seems to happen with the driveline rotation speed. Kind of hard to track down, hanging out looking under the rig while driving gets old fast. Will have to jack it up onto stands and run it in gear and see if I can get it to repeat itself.
I also had a noise coming from the front end. The only thing I found was my right front wheel had a very slight movement when I would pull/push the top of the tire. I could only feel it when the RZR was on the ground. I still have my stock axles installed and learned that the polaris axle splines were manufactured slightly too long. The splines protruded beyond the face of the hub allowing the nut to bottom out before the axle tightens down. Polaris makes washers/shims that are placed behind the two cone washers and your axle nut. The part number for the washer is #7555939. I dont know if this is your issue, but maybe it will help someone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts