Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
You get what you pay for in lights. My buddy has a 30” Amazon special and my 6” rigid pro is brighter. People that say a cheap light is just as good as a top end one are just trying to justify being cheap or that they can’t afford it.

Nothing wrong with buying cheap stuff at all, I did it at one point in my life. It just gets old seeing “ the $30 Amazon light is just as good” posts.
Simply not true, and it also gets old repeating one's self. "the $30 Amazon light is just as good" is a pretty generic statement. I can tell you for a fact that a one 6" NiLight performs better than a 10" Rigid Pro E-Series Amber. I bought NiLight for the kids' ACE 570 because I fully expect them to tear it up. I ended up buying a 2 pack and using one to keep the other for a backup. It will be replacing the Rigid on my RZR instead. I also have Rigid pods on my Grizzly and there is no performance difference to the NiLight pods on the ACE.

NiLight Pack vs $225 Rigid bought in early 2020 vs IIRC $400 Baja Designs S8 10" amber my brother got early 2021

Specifics come into play, but "You get what you pay for in lights" is not a hard and fast rule and “the $30 Amazon light is just as good” can absolutely be true. And again, I say this as someone who already payed to play, not some random poors reaching for excuses not to get higher priced quality gear.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Simply not true, and it also gets old repeating one's self. "the $30 Amazon light is just as good" is a pretty generic statement. I can tell you for a fact that a one 6" NiLight performs better than a 10" Rigid Pro E-Series Amber. I bought NiLight for the kids' ACE 570 because I fully expect them to tear it up. I ended up buying a 2 pack and using one to keep the other for a backup. It will be replacing the Rigid on my RZR instead. I also have Rigid pods on my Grizzly and there is no performance difference to the NiLight pods on the ACE.

NiLight Pack vs $225 Rigid bought in early 2020 vs IIRC $400 Baja Designs S8 10" amber my brother got early 2021

Specifics come into play, but "You get what you pay for in lights" is not a hard and fast rule and “the $30 Amazon light is just as good” can absolutely be true. And again, I say this as someone who already payed to play, not some random poors reaching for excuses not to get higher priced quality gear.
I’ll order that specific one on Amazon and hook it up and do a comparison. If you’re right and it’s brighter than rigid I’ve got no problem admitting I was wrong. I have yet to see one that bright but I guess I haven’t seen all the china knock offs that are out there.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I can tell you for a fact that a one 6" NiLight performs better than a 10" Rigid Pro E-Series Amber.
Not to be argumentative or disagree directly with your opinion, but am I understanding you correctly when I gather that you’re comparing a whitish 6k range light bar to an amber light bar?

I’m no expert on LED lights or the range of colors they come in. But I’ll say that I’ve seen people running amber lights at the dunes (expensive and cheap) and they seem about half as bright or less as your normal whitish colored light bar. Amber lights are intended to cut through dust better, not necessarily to “outperform” a light of a whiter color in strength or distance. So maybe that’s an apples to oranges comparison, not sure. Feel free to educate me if this is incorrect…

Also, I feel like a light bar brand convo ends up about as well as a best belt or which tire should I buy convo… as in, figure out what you want, or what works best for you. Because you’re going to get 10 different answers (which are opinions) from people who all view things differently.

Hopefully TrailWolverine can sift through the answers and find a solution and setup he will be satisfied with for his money.

·
Premium Member
2019 RZR XP4 1000 “Doc RZR” & 2022 RZR 200 EFI "The Cub""
444 Posts
In went with the Onx6 little brother, the S8. Also in a Turbo grill but on my XP1000.

It has great light and I love the 5k color temp.

I went with the S8 as I already had the BD Sport headlight kit and didn't want the extra watts the ONX6 draws.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Grille

·
Registered
2022 Rzr Pro XP Ultimate
383 Posts
I went this route with Heretic, and a set of pods my friend got for me... (PS don't buy from UTV Source, go straight to Heretic, ask me how I know if you want)... Sorry about the messy garage. They don't seem like they're extremely bright in the pictures, they are bright enough that I couldn't look straight at the beams.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle
The Garage is fine but don't you think you should show a little more respect to the US Flag #JustSayin

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Not to be argumentative or disagree directly with your opinion, but am I understanding you correctly when I gather that you’re comparing a whitish 6k range light bar to an amber light bar?

I’m no expert on LED lights or the range of colors they come in. But I’ll say that I’ve seen people running amber lights at the dunes (expensive and cheap) and they seem about half as bright or less as your normal whitish colored light bar. Amber lights are intended to cut through dust better, not necessarily to “outperform” a light of a whiter color in strength or distance. So maybe that’s an apples to oranges comparison, not sure. Feel free to educate me if this is incorrect…

Also, I feel like a light bar brand convo ends up about as well as a best belt or which tire should I buy convo… as in, figure out what you want, or what works best for you. Because you’re going to get 10 different answers (which are opinions) from people who all view things differently.

Hopefully TrailWolverine can sift through the answers and find a solution and setup he will be satisfied with for his money.
No, amber to amber, they are both amber versions specifically to see when dusty. The ACE already had a NiLight white bar from the previous owner and the RZR has a Tusk 32" at the roof line. Dust makes it hard to see at night in either machine.

I agree with everything else, besides the subjectiveness of each individual's opinion, you also have a near infinite amount of variables with all the different options in lighting.

I think i’m going to try Baja design since they have 30 day satisfaction guarantee.
But now I have to decide which wiring harness I would like the dimmer switch Wire harness or just off & on switch wire Harness.
The only downside to BD in my book is cost. If that isn't a worry I'm betting you'll love it.

As to the dimmer option, I haven't seen it in person but I've never been in a situation where I would have used a dimmer if I had it.

·
Super Moderator
8,451 Posts
Not going to get into the cheap Amazon lights vs X brand debate. However simply mounting X light and Y light and visually comparing them is an inaccurate way of testing. There are several factors that need to be looked at when comparing lights. Efficiency, build quality, color spectrum, & noise reduction need to be considered.

Efficiency: lumens per watt. Light is measured in lumens and power is measured in watts. Better lights put out more lumens per watt. You'll see claims of "XXX" watt light which means diddly squat. An inefficient light will consume more power but produce less lumens. On the converse "XXX" produces 20k lumens, here again this means diddly squat. It may produce the rated lumens but at what power consumption? Both light output and power consumption need to be evaluated together to determine the efficiency. In order to determine efficiency, you need to measure the lumen output with a light meter and at the same time the power consumption with an amp meter. Lumen(lm) / watts(w) = efficiency as measured in lumens per watt. Better lights produce more lumens with less power consumption. This is the one single thing I see most folk overlook; they only look at one of the two, not both.

Quality of components: Self explanatory

Color spectrum: @Reverend_FNG touched on this early (post #12) and needs to be considered when selecting or comparing lights.

Noise reduction: EMI (electromagnetic interference) The power supplies of LEDs produce EMI. This can interfere with radio signals and other electronics if not properly shielded. The design and shielding to negate EMI needs to be considered when selecting or comparing lights.

So simply saying: "XXX" 300W light is equal or better than "YYY" 300W is not a good comparison. Just food for thought ;)

·
Premium Member
2019 RZR XP4 1000 “Doc RZR” & 2022 RZR 200 EFI "The Cub""
444 Posts
Some is subjective as well. For me the warmer 5k color temp of the BD cause me less eye strain than the cheaper bars from Amazon and seems, to me, better is dust.

I also like that I can swap lenses. When I went with the Squadron Sport headlight kit the low beams were a spot flood combo and was too bright for meeting people. When I got the S8 bar it was also a combo. I swapped the lenses on the low beams to pure flood and the S8 to pure spot and it really seems a good combo.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Not going to get into the cheap Amazon lights vs X brand debate. However simply mounting X light and Y light and visually comparing them is an inaccurate way of testing. There are several factors that need to be looked at when comparing lights. Efficiency, build quality, color spectrum, & noise reduction need to be considered.
--snipped--
To bookend your statement:
Other variables come into play. Manufacturer of the LED and the current generation chip. Below are some of the names in the LED game.
OSRAM
Philips
Cree
COB
CSP
Epistar
Phillips

Few other component's that help make a light bar great. Are they quality built, matched/designed for the application? Or, "something off the shelf" jammed into an existing housing.

Led line driver
Circuit board efficiency
Reflector
Collimator

Reality, you can take an older generation LED and drive it 100%+ and it will be as "bright" as the latest greatest. It will degrade faster, but the initial WOW factor will be there.
Same for the reflector and collimator. The best LED, in a poor design will look like garbage compared to a cheap/outdated/overdriven one in a good design. Thus, some of the comments about "just as good". YMMV

If you have deep enough pockets, look at Nordic Lights they are pretty much the OEM supplier for mining/construction equipment.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Just to muddy up the water a little more, I would also consider lumen/dollar. LOL

Reactions: Trailwolverine

·
Registered
2021 RZR turbo S Dynamix
136 Posts
For $67 I’ll take my chances to see if I want to keep the light bar or go with the 10in in the turbo scoop and pods on the sides. If I like it I’m going to move it down to below the roof line just above the windshield but for testing it was nice to not have to drill any holes
Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive design

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have run Rigid, harbor freight, tractor supply, amazon, ebay, ect, in the past. On my 15 silverado hd i wanted led fog lights that wouldn't turn rain ans snow into a whitewash. I had heard good things about Baja Designs and they had a plug and play kit. It was about the same cost as Rigid, which I run on mt '12 Silverado and was very disappointed with. I will Never buy Rigid again. The eye strain on them is horrible and the powder coating is worse than my ebay and amazon specials. The Baja Design lights cut through the rain and snow like nothing else. In extremely impressed with them. Ill be adding them to my turbo by this summer for sure.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The Garage is fine but don't you think you should show a little more respect to the US Flag #JustSayin
You're absolutely correct, it had to come down due to the wind/rain we had here, tore the bracket out of the valance... I had not gotten a new bracket yet, and no real excuse, just got lazy with the wind/rain. It's back up and hanging now, apologies.

·
Registered
2022 Rzr Pro XP Ultimate
383 Posts
You're absolutely correct, it had to come down due to the wind/rain we had here, tore the bracket out of the valance... I had not gotten a new bracket yet, a. nd no real excuse, just got lazy with the wind/rain. It's back up and hanging now, apologies.
No worries I figured it was something like that.

·
Vendor
1,112 Posts
I think i’m going to try Baja design since they have 30 day satisfaction guarantee.
But now I have to decide which wiring harness I would like the dimmer switch Wire harness or just off & on switch wire Harness.
What we recommend is an upfitter harness. It is a simple plug and play harness that will wire direct to your rzr so you dont have to cut and crimp. Let me know if you have any wiring harness questions and I will help answer them for you.
Best,
Brock Brunkhorst

·
Vendor
1,112 Posts
I have run Rigid, harbor freight, tractor supply, amazon, ebay, ect, in the past. On my 15 silverado hd i wanted led fog lights that wouldn't turn rain ans snow into a whitewash. I had heard good things about Baja Designs and they had a plug and play kit. It was about the same cost as Rigid, which I run on mt '12 Silverado and was very disappointed with. I will Never buy Rigid again. The eye strain on them is horrible and the powder coating is worse than my ebay and amazon specials. The Baja Design lights cut through the rain and snow like nothing else. In extremely impressed with them. Ill be adding them to my turbo by this summer for sure.
Thanks for the love and support feel free to reach out when you are ready to get your turbo squared away
Best,
Brock Brunkhorst

21 - 40 of 53 Posts