Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if these Baja design 10 inch would make Night time look like daytime I have my eyes on these but still researching.
PS just slow trail riding not high speed like Sandune‘s.

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve never seen a light bar in operation, in my life, cheap ones or expensive ones I have no idea what to expect. Except what I seen on YouTube.
Edited PS my Oem LED Head lights On 2015 900xc really gives me eye fatigue.

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
I run pods and they are super bright- Ridged are pretty tough and zero vibration.
I tried amazon cheapo style and a lot come with a plastic lenses and really overall they had a crappy out put for light and I got alot of moisture in them. Tossed them in the garbage.
I really like the pods as you can quickly adjust them for any angle for the different areas I want lite up for.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Rigid user and fan here. You can definitely buy cheaper and you can buy more expensive. However, they have a lifetime warranty. I’ve yet to have one fail myself, I’ve bought probably 10 of their 20-30” light bars and 20 or more sets of their “dually” pod lights in various lense and pattern configurations.

I sold a 2020 Xp4 Turbo to my brother in law with a 30” Rigid mounted to an ABF cage. Some time later, he was in a rollover accident and the impact tore the end of the light bar up and it no longer worked. I provided them with a receipt for the purchase, pictures of the destroyed light, and they shipped a brand new one to us at no charge. $1,000 light bar.

Some may find it absurd or disagree with the prices. I can tell you that I’ve never been disappointed or let down by any of their stuff. That’s worth the price to me.

·
Registered
2021 Turbo S4 onyx black
88 Posts
I just put the OnX6 10' in the hood scoop on my Turbo S. I haven't had it out yet at night but if its anything like my cousins Baja Design lights I'm going to enjoy it. He had to lead during our time at night in Little Sahara in Oklahoma.
View attachment 693272
What if any modifications did you do for that setup? I am considering doing the same but dont see how you mounted it. Did you use the stock brackets ? A pic would tell a thousand words. thanks

Reactions: DaGoat

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
I’ve never seen a light bar in operation, in my life, cheap ones or expensive ones I have no idea what to expect. Except what I seen on YouTube.
Any night rides or Jeep outings in your area to go/see/ask questions?

Few considerations: ( You already know these (y) )
You said your machine LEDs give you eye fatigue. Are they a super white or a bit blue in color? I find certain LED color temps give me a headache. For me, 6000k range is just about right.

Light Font Circle Light bulb Symmetry

What type of environment will you mainly ride in?: Out here, I am out gunned with lights. The desert sucks it up like a black hole, not much to illuminate or reflect back. On the road, I can see through houses they are so bright. :ROFLMAO:

Trail dust: If there is any hanging in the air, my light bar turns it into white wall, blizzard like conditions. A few buddies run small amber pods or bars for that reason. They say it cuts through the dust at night like a knife.

What are you trying to see at night?: Floods are good for "near view" illumination. Spot lights, if you want to see farther down the trail. A combo job might be a good choice. For my set up. I have a 42" spot with 2 flood pods on the side. I treat the machine headlights as low level fog lights when all is running.

Much like everything else in life... Advertised specs and real world applications are two different things.

Pick up a super cheapie for some reasonable, disposable amount of money. It will at least give you an idea of what your eye holes like and a bit more understanding of your lighting wants/needs. The "buy once, cry once" $$$ reasoning goes out the window if you are unsure. Hope you find something useful from this post. (y)

P.S.: What the camera shows for brightness does not show what it actually does.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Bumper Headlamp

·
Registered
2021 Turbo S4 onyx black
88 Posts
I had 2 10" BD bars on my old 900xp on the front bumper. I had one with an amber lens and one with clear lens. this way i could switch between the two in the dust if needed. I absolutely loved them! I currently have 1 mounted on my new turbo S front bumper and are considering adding a 2nd but have been told that the turbo cars are sensitive to airflow on the radiator and i am concerned with that. Anyone with insight on this setup?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I would not mount a light bar in the hood grill, myself. It’s there and has a scoop behind it for a reason. No concrete evidence to produce for you to support that… just the way I see it.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
My 42" Amazon "cheapy" has been roof mounted on 1 of my wheelers for 3 years, never had any problems at all, the "cheapy" front mounted lightbar has been on the SXS same amount of time and is always turned on unless someone is coming right at us on the trails or road, also been trouble free.
They are both so bright you cannot look at them or you'll see spots for some time afterwards.😵

·
Registered
168 Posts
I went this route with Heretic, and a set of pods my friend got for me... (PS don't buy from UTV Source, go straight to Heretic, ask me how I know if you want)... Sorry about the messy garage. They don't seem like they're extremely bright in the pictures, they are bright enough that I couldn't look straight at the beams.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
48 Posts
What if any modifications did you do for that setup? I am considering doing the same but dont see how you mounted it. Did you use the stock brackets ? A pic would tell a thousand words. thanks
I make a small bracket and Baja Design mounts. Hard to see without taking everything off. Basically mounts just in front of the bracket under here.
Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Bumper Rim

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I have personal experience with Rigid, NiLight (amazon cheapy), Rough Country, Tusk, and Baja Designs.

I would rank them in order of function (from best to worst): Baja Designs > Tusk = NiLight = Rigid > Rough Country. The only reason RC is lower than the three middle choices is due to a non-standard connector.

I would rank them in order of value (function vs. cost): Tusk = NiLight = Rough Country > Baja Designs > Rigid. If you are going to spend big money, go ahead and get Baja they blow the rest out of the water. I wouldn't even consider Rigid anymore, yes they have a good warranty and customer support but you can buy 10 sets of NiLight for what Rigid costs and the performance are basically the same. I say this as someone who has over $1000 of Rigid lights on my ride. And I can tell you the $50-100 I spent to add some light to the kids' rides makes me wish I hadn't. My brother decked his X3 out with Baja Designs and cost double the Rigids but at least you can tell a difference. They are FAR superior, but again FAR more costly.

There are tons of options for lighting from brands, spectrums, mointing locations, types, etc.

Personally, since you say you don't have any experience at all, I would start with a cheapy like NiLight and see if it performs how you want. I'd recommend a small bar (10-12") or double pods as they'd be more useful to repurpose if you aren't satisfied. Start off with flexibility in mind and maybe try mounting with heavy duty zip ties and a long wiring connection tied up out of the way. That way you can move it (them) around and see if you like it (them) one place more than another. Also gives you an idea if you need multiple mounted for different applications. I would also recommend getting an amber cover or some amber lens film to try. It really does make a difference in dust, fog, and snow.

·
Registered
786 Posts
You get what you pay for in lights. My buddy has a 30” Amazon special and my 6” rigid pro is brighter. People that say a cheap light is just as good as a top end one are just trying to justify being cheap or that they can’t afford it.

Nothing wrong with buying cheap stuff at all, I did it at one point in my life. It just gets old seeing “ the $30 Amazon light is just as good” posts.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts