Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening, and thanks for letting me join. We currently own 2 RZR 570's and am looking to add one more to the garage.
We are going to look at a 2014 800 trail tomorrow. Only has 1,000 miles on it, a little over 100 hours. Is there anything specific I should look for. I'm sure the Pinion Nut will need to be done if it already hasn't.
Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Good evening, and thanks for letting me join. We currently own 2 RZR 570's and am looking to add one more to the garage.
We are going to look at a 2014 800 trail tomorrow. Only has 1,000 miles on it, a little over 100 hours. Is there anything specific I should look for. I'm sure the Pinion Nut will need to be done if it already hasn't.
Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
All I can say is good luck. People destroy these things. I bought my 12 800 trail with only 1200 miles and Holy crap everything was wrong with it. I never owned a polaris prior so didn't know how they sounded running. Just Iike above check intake first off. Then check for any signs of leaks etc. Start it up and see how it runs and idles. Should shift smooth. Let it idle for a few fan cycles. Then drive it.

·
Flying59
110 Posts
it’s not too bad of a job but you will need the special tools to do it. If you want to see what you’re getting into then watch the video in Pullerguy’s post, The Razor 800 & 800S Pinion Nut Repair Video by Les Hansen (Pullerguy). If you decide to do it yourself contact Pullerguy, he has a list of people who have the tools for loan or rent.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Honestly everything on the RZR 800 is doable with average mechanical skills. Electrical on the other hand can get technical and frustrating. Other then that the 800 is a simplistic and strong machine just finicky with some things and a few stupid design flaws. That's polaris though.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Thanks Pmhiker. It probably will take me longer than most folks, but I will take my time and label everything as I take it off.
If anyone around the Grand Rapids Michigan area want to have a differential tare down party, let me know.
It's not hard at all so don't get intimidated. It's easier to use trailer hitch to hold it instead of vice. Like flying59 said post back to see how tight or loose it was. Mine was one ride away from blowing up. When I took diff off I spun it off with one finger. Had no ft pounds at all! Diff shaft was wobbling. I got lucky.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Let us know if your pinion nut was tight or not, mine was tight but now I don’t have to worry about it.
Well, the job is complete, and it really wasn't that bad with the proper tools. Thanks Les.
When I got it all apart, the Pinion Nut only had between 15 and 20 ft pounds of torque holding it on. It was just a matter of time before it let loose I'm afraid. But now I don't think I have to worry about it any longer.
Thanks again for everyone's help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts