Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Thanks in advance for your help! After hearing all the great things about the xp4 900, i finally got mine today. It is a 2013 international with walker evans and eps... Anyhow, after driving 3 miles after pick up the steering wheel light came on in the dash. I felt the steering getting hard so I stoped the engine to see if it resets. Afterwards, the engine would not start and sounded like there was no battery. I called the desler and they came over. They jumped started me and all run fine. Turn off, and would not start again. Jump start again and decide to try to get home and charge the battery and call the dealer tomorrow. Ater anoer mile, the dash light goes out. Then the engine starts to misfire and finally stops. The xp is now back at the dealer. Any ideas of what happened? My thoughts originally were faulty battery, but then I thought faulty alternator or maybe even faulty cpu after jump starting it? Anybody had several issues? Like I said, thanks for your help, and by the way, I am still happy that I bought it. Any Machine can brake down at any time. Thanks. mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Interested to see what you find out. I also took my brand new XP4 out for the first time today and had the power steering light come on, along with the check engine light. Might be a loose connection for me, as both lights would go on and off at the same time. They would only stay lit for a few seconds at a time. Then when I got home, I could tell the power steering wasn't working at all.

·
Registered
429 Posts
This happened on a ride the other day with us to a guy. One of the wires going to the battery was left off. It ran fine till the battery drained down.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
My 2013 XP4 only has a single hot and single ground to the battery. Its never done this. The only time my power steering light comes on is if you leave the key on for a couple mins with out starting the engine.. Then the light will come on and the power steering goes off.. Cycle the key and it comes back on. I've installed a second battery in mine and have had the skid and most of the plastics removed. There is only the two connections for the battery. Sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere. maybe the ground under the rear passenger seat?

·
The proof is in the evid.
546 Posts
Mine was doing the power steering light / check engine light thing last week and then the display went to "OV 17.6" for awile and then healed itself and haven't seen it again.

I'm thinking it is an intermittant voltage regulator related issue and the "OV 17.6" is over volt, so the check engine light comes on and the power steering shuts down to protect itself from over voltage... Checked for loose stuff but nothing.

Anyone else get the "OV 17.6" or similar ??

Please let us know if/when you guys find out anything.

Gunna have mine checked when it goes in for services next month. Hopefully there is a fault code they can find...

·
Registered
10 Posts
In addition to my check engine light and power steering light going off and on, my speedometer wasn't working either. I forgot to mention, this all happened this past Monday on my very first ride on my Brand new RZR (picked the XP4 up at the dealership last week).

Just thought I'd update that I did take it in to the dealer. I got a call from them today saying it was done, and that it was just a loose connection.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Mine was doing the power steering light / check engine light thing last week and then the display went to "OV 17.6" for awile and then healed itself and haven't seen it again.

I'm thinking it is an intermittant voltage regulator related issue and the "OV 17.6" is over volt, so the check engine light comes on and the power steering shuts down to protect itself from over voltage... Checked for loose stuff but nothing.

Gunna have mine checked when it goes in for services next month. Hopefully there is a fault code they can find...
The OV can be caused by a bad ground or loose connection. Put a wrench on the ground screw under the drivers seat, and check it. Check both battery connections to be sure they are tight. Check the voltage regulator to be sure the mounting screws are tight and wiring harness connector is plugged in all the way. OV of 17.6 can cause lots of problems. Need that fixed sooner then later.

·
The proof is in the evid.
546 Posts

The OV can be caused by a bad ground or loose connection. Put a wrench on the ground screw under the drivers seat, and check it. Check both battery connections to be sure they are tight. Check the voltage regulator to be sure the mounting screws are tight and wiring harness connector is plugged in all the way. OV of 17.6 can cause lots of problems. Need that fixed sooner then later.
Thanks... will do. Did 40+some miles this last weekend w/ no issues but it needs a good goin' over anyway.

·
DAN4002
47 Posts
Mine (12 xp4-900) started doing the same thing this weekend. Checked battery connections and cleaned ground wires under left rear seat. The bright light indicator would go off when the other dash lights came on. (not sure if headlights would go off also as we were trail riding during the day) Will do some more searching today. Anyone find any definate solutions to this yet?

·
rzr 800 long travel
22 Posts
I have the same problem in my XP 4seats. the steering light and check engine light. the code of check engine is 0 168 3. all of wires is connect correctly the battery run and charge correct. all ground of rear left is connect and strong. the 3 rear fuse is correct. OV 17.6 in dash. any solution.

·
rzr 800 long travel
22 Posts
Ok trate all of the topic. Ground wires clean. Selenoid clean conection. Battery charge. Ground of the battery great. I think is bad voltage regulator. Anyone help me please.

Ahh this day is in water a lots of time. Clean water,much rain.

Please help.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Ok trate all of the topic. Ground wires clean. Selenoid clean conection. Battery charge. Ground of the battery great. I think is bad voltage regulator. Anyone help me please.

Ahh this day is in water a lots of time. Clean water,much rain.

Please help.
Are you saying you have your rzr in water lots of times? Sorry just not sure what your asking.

·
rzr 800 long travel
22 Posts
sorry for the quotation is a confuse put a ? in really is a .

That day was a long time in water. At least three hours after I get home to go out at night to keep everything normal light it when you turn on the check engine light on and off quickly. I choose to move and as I turn the lights begin to blink and turn off the odometer and EPS light comes on. Then everything was shut down and normal continuous. The next day I turn it on and on with check engine light and fault engine's low. the code is 0 168 3. I think it's the voltage regulator died. the voltage rises too fast I turn it on in 12.24 volts and when accelerating quickly reaches OV17.6

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ok....drive to Phoenix to ride and buddies jagged x is doing the steering light and the engine light, he also had the ov 17.6 flash. We checked all the grounds around the battery and they are good (pulled and cleaned). Is it the voltage regulator?

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Good job checking the grounds around the battery, there are some other grounds as well. Go to the voltage regulator and see if there is a ground wire for it. If it is loose or bad connection, that is the problem. Otherwise sounds like a voltage regulator problem. Put a volt meter on the battery, watch it as you start it and run fast idle for awhile and see what the voltage is doing. Should not go under 12 or over 14.8.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I downloaded the service manual, ran some tests....it pointed to the regulator. Went to ride now in surprise they didnt have one but they pulled one from a new machine and sold it to us....it fixed it. AWESOME service there, I a d everyone in our group will but all out next machines from them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I know this is a old thread, but today, out of the blue, our 900 started missing at idle or low RPM's... No CEL, or anything... seems to clean up and run on both cylinders above 5,000 rpm's... I'll look at grounds tomorrow, but our 2016 machine has ~ 600 miles, seems like a loose GND would have happened way before now... Also Sp. Plugs were change out last year, by previous owner/dealer..... Any ideas guys?
Thanks in advance,
MIRZR

1 - 20 of 23 Posts