Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Is there a need to get a dual axle trailer for your use. NO

And in my opinion aluminum trailers are not worth the extra expense. My 84" x 14' PJ steel has been towed around the country without any issues behind my 14' Ram 1500. And after 5 years of MN/WI salt is still rust free.

Key is to get a good quality made trailer with good axles and start towing. A 14' trailer is long enough to grow into will fit any four seat sxs with ease.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts

And in my opinion aluminum trailers are not worth the extra expense. My 84" x 14' PJ steel has been towed around the country without any issues behind my 14' Ram 1500. And after 5 years of MN/WI salt is still rust free.

Key is to get a good quality made trailer with good axles and start towing. A 14' trailer is long enough to grow into will fit any four seat sxs with ease.
Every thing you said is true. Why I did an Aluma trailer is because in Utah a trailer over 750lbs has to be registered. My 14 foot aluminum trailer weights 725lbs. I don't have to register mine. The other reason I bought a high quality aluminum trailer is the resale valve. After I sold my UTV my neighbor offered me 80% of what I paid and my trailer my is 5 years old. The trailer is staying home because I pick up my Pro XP April 1st.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

I want a big enough trailer that if I need to put something else on it will fit, a quad or 170 rzr when my son is older. I will also be picking up a 79' bronco this spring that will probably end up as a trail rig, or another jeep in the future. I'm basically trying to avoid having to do this a 3rd time. The Aluma would still be narrow for those needs. In general I would just like to have brakes on my next trailer. If I get a steel it would be a PJ, but i honestly haven't heard great things about their paint.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I had an aluma 8812 for several years and towed it about 15,000 miles with atv’s and then a SxS. I never had any tire issues (replaced when they got cupped too bad) but I wanted a tandem (weight isn’t an issue as I tow with a 3500 diesel) for extra stability, safety in case of tire blow out, and brakes.

I ended up with a 18ft tandem steel trailer with wood floor and an Ez lift rear gate. I love it. It tows much better than the single axle and it was much better putting etrack along the entire length With the wood floor. Yeah, it will be more upkeep (sealing the deck each year) and spray painting rust spots, but I couldn’t justify a similar aluma at a cost of about $5,500...I got mine for about half that and I wouldn’t go back to a single axle (and I can now also tote an atv along if I want to ride it for a day)

Ps - I hated the Ramps on my aluma (they were the side rails and you took them off to use as ramps). They rattled and were loud. I much prefer a one piece rear ramp/gate...quiet and no need to line up the tires with the ramps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
All this trailer talk created a need “for a new one”. Old one is now for sale!

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
40 Posts

Well your opinion and mine are much different I wouldn't trade my aluminum ATC for any steel trailer.. works awesome for my hot rods to rzrs and everything else.. half ton with my 68 on board 75mph all day long...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Do you have any pictures of it? The few on the website aren't that great. I'm sure it will be between the DCT and the Aluma. I like the idea of the wood deck for ease of adding tie downs, how has the deck held up for you so far? The aluminum deck is kind of a pain to do tie downs if I wanted to add extra ones.
  • 39919395-4909-44AC-A92D-C93E3BB60AC9.jpeg
    BA306C6F-178B-4104-A809-D75BDF673D3F.jpeg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Do you have any pictures of it? The few on the website aren't that great. I'm sure it will be between the DCT and the Aluma. I like the idea of the wood deck for ease of adding tie downs, how has the deck held up for you so far? The aluminum deck is kind of a pain to do tie downs if I wanted to add extra ones.
No problems with the wood deck. My steel PJ paint started getting bad after five years.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a Quality Steel and Aluminum Deluxe Aluminum Landscape trailer. 14' long, almost 7" wide internal. It's 8014ALDX. Tall landscape sides, 1500lb bifold ramp, and side load ramps up front. I load a Poo Scrambler sideways using the front ramps and drive the Rzr XPT up the back ramps.

These are 2x8 wood floors, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I've added motorcycle carriers,and E-Track ramps already, and I'm not sure that would have been easy with an aluminum floor.

I bought it with upgraded rims and brought in my own M speed rated tires (81 MPH).

I get stopped by people often asking about the trailer. Dealers too. It's obviously built strong, and I think I have like $2,300 in it with all the upgrades. Lots cheaper than an Aluma.

Drag wise its' a parachute. I towed a 28" enclosed with two XPT's in it and at 60mph was getting better mpg than my open trailer does at 70. That's probably a fluke, but you get the point. I'm not sure it it's the width (I'm right at 101" with the tires) the side rails, or the RZR, but while light its an aero nightmare.

Which is, btw, more important than the weight. I've quickly leaned I can feel weight stopping and starting, but going down the road the drag is what eats me up, not the weight. And headwinds? Oh my god. Very single mile.

Good as this thing is, if I was doing it again I'd buy a 14' deck-over V-nose enclosed with 15" speed rated radial tires that was 80" internal and 6.5' tall. I don't think I'd get worse mileage and it would for sure be more flexible for me.

Luck to you.

-d
I have basically the same trailer with a tandem axle. Pulls great. Awesomely strong trailer. Deck height is low as well helping with the drag.
7D2B7848-2221-4209-BEBF-767368C24C6D.jpeg
However I did just upgrade to a Legend 7.5 x 19 enclosed. Extra 6” height as well. I can use it for snowmobiles as well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Have an Aluma HS 8214 and love it. Use it as a car trailer for anything less than 4K lbs. it’s more than enough for the SxS. Secret to towing with a single axle... tongue weight. Set it up right and it tows like a dream.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Have an Aluma HS 8214 and love it. Use it as a car trailer for anything less than 4K lbs. it’s more than enough for the SxS. Secret to towing with a single axle... tongue weight. Set it up right and it tows like a dream.
Yea, this one is still a bit narrow but I should be able to fit some smaller vehicles on it. I'd like to get a Dart or Duster someday, should suit my needs for that!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am looking for a new trailer before our trip to Moab at the end of April. Right now I am looking at a Aluma 7816 tandem axle. The only thing on the trailer will be a 2 seat XP. Does anyone have one of these or something similar? I have a little 6810 right now and it does not tow that great with the xp, worked great when I had an s. I may get a 4 seat down the road so I want something big enough that I will have some extra room if/when I step up to one. I am pulling with a 2014 1/2 ton ram so I'm trying to keep it on the lighter side. I also live in MN so I'd rather not get a steel trailer but I may be open to it. If I went with an Aluma, would you get ramps or a bifold hinged ramp? Any help would be appreciated!
I have a UT-12 Aluma and put a 2 seat 1000XP on it and you don't even know it is on behind my Chevy Colorado. Ramp stores under bed so no drag from wind and put the RZR on forward. Has a utility box on it to store a bunch of gear and wings up front to protect from rocks and road crud

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I have enjoyed my Aluma's. They have been great. Had them for about 6 years now. Send me a PM when you get to Moab and maybe we can go ride! :cool:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am new to trailering side by sides and am not sure if it is OK to load my Pro-XP on my aluma 7814 utility trailer while it is not attached to my jeep. I loaded the PXP last night this way and there was a little trailer movement. Other than my Brahma wheel lock, I did not use wheel chocks. So if I use wheel chocks, do you think it is safe to load and unload my PXP while the trailer is NOT attached to my tow vehicle?

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I am new to trailering side by sides and am not sure if it is OK to load my Pro-XP on my aluma 7814 utility trailer while it is not attached to my jeep. I loaded the PXP last night this way and there was a little trailer movement. Other than my Brahma wheel lock, I did not use wheel chocks. So if I use wheel chocks, do you think it is safe to load and unload my PXP while the trailer is NOT attached to my tow vehicle?
Yes you can load the trailer not hooked to your vehicle. I use wheel chocks front and rear on my trailer tires when loading onto my trailer when not hooked up to my truck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I use to load my 6810 unhooked. I didn’t have stabilizers on the back so I put blocks under the back and just lowered my tongue jack a bit to slide them out. I was able to load that trailer in the garage and have it ready to hook up and go after work. Im pretty sure my deck height will be too high on my new trailer to do that now. ??

41 - 60 of 66 Posts