Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a new trailer before our trip to Moab at the end of April. Right now I am looking at a Aluma 7816 tandem axle. The only thing on the trailer will be a 2 seat XP. Does anyone have one of these or something similar? I have a little 6810 right now and it does not tow that great with the xp, worked great when I had an s. I may get a 4 seat down the road so I want something big enough that I will have some extra room if/when I step up to one. I am pulling with a 2014 1/2 ton ram so I'm trying to keep it on the lighter side. I also live in MN so I'd rather not get a steel trailer but I may be open to it. If I went with an Aluma, would you get ramps or a bifold hinged ramp? Any help would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Good choice going with one big enough for a bigger machine, the size difference will be minimal in weight. Worst part is towing a rzr is like towing a parachute...lol
The hinged ramp is my choice.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Good choice going with one big enough for a bigger machine, the size difference will be minimal in weight. Worst part is towing a rzr is like towing a parachute...lol
The hinged ramp is my choice.
Even worse is towing your rzr in an enclosed trailer, more like towing 2 parachutes. I am on my 3rd trailer in under 4 years and have bought a little bigger each time. 2 Aluma's a 10' atv trailer that it barely fit on, then a 12' UT12 that was perfect for my rzr and now an enclosed 8.5x18.

I wouldn't worry about the weight of a steel vs aluminum open utility trailer with your truck, assuming V8 you will be fine, I tow with a V8 grand Cherokee and it does well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 7816. Ramps pull out from under trailer bed. Have xpt 4 s, 72” wide. Not much extra width but it fits. Wider wheels may be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even worse is towing your rzr in an enclosed trailer, more like towing 2 parachutes. I am on my 3rd trailer in under 4 years and have bought a little bigger each time. 2 Aluma's a 10' atv trailer that it barely fit on, then a 12' UT12 that was perfect for my rzr and now an enclosed 8.5x18.

I wouldn't worry about the weight of a steel vs aluminum open utility trailer with your truck, assuming V8 you will be fine, I tow with a V8 grand Cherokee and it does well. View attachment 645736
Yep it has the Hemi in it, I’m more worried about salt/rust in the MN winters than the weight of steel. I also am having a tough time finding actual weights of any steel trailers I like. I would love an enclosed trailer, but I think I’ll do it down the road when I upgrade the truck to a 3/4 ton.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 7816. Ramps pull out from under trailer bed. Have xpt 4 s, 72” wide. Not much extra width but it fits. Wider wheels may be a problem.

At this point I don’t know if I’ll ever upgrade to a 72” wide, cant even register them in MN as an atv. The two trailers I’m looking at have a $200 difference, the slide out ramps is the more expensive of the two. What do you pull yours with?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a 7820... I went for the longer one so I could have room for a quad or whatever in addition to my XP4. Maybe even my son's 900 Trail.

It pulls fine behind my Tacoma. I had a 12' steel utility trailer for my 900 Trail (now my son's), and this pulls better.

I have the 1 piece fold-up ramp. Wish I'd have got the bi-fold. I normally flip all the way up on the bed of the trailer and back the XP4 back onto it a little. My only gripe is the little tie down loops are a hair too small for my strap hooks. They jamb. I'm going to add some chain loops to them for this weekend's adventure. Hopefully that'll fix the issue.

Reactions: eski99

·
Premium Member
507 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the weight of a steel vs aluminum open utility trailer with your truck, assuming V8 you will be fine, I tow with a V8 grand Cherokee and it does well. View attachment 645736
You're giving me trailer envy. We pull doubles so as nice as they are not very practical.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 7820... I went for the longer one so I could have room for a quad or whatever in addition to my XP4. Maybe even my son's 900 Trail.

It pulls fine behind my Tacoma. I had a 12' steel utility trailer for my 900 Trail (now my son's), and this pulls better.

I have the 1 piece fold-up ramp. Wish I'd have got the bi-fold. I normally flip all the way up on the bed of the trailer and back the XP4 back onto it a little. My only gripe is the little tie down loops are a hair too small for my strap hooks. They jamb. I'm going to add some chain loops to them for this weekend's adventure. Hopefully that'll fix the issue.
Ill keep that in mind if I end up with one. I have etrack wheel chocks on my current trailer. I’m not sure if I’ll go that route this time.

·
Registered
249 Posts

How does the Grand pull that? Hemi and air suspension? Total weight?
Sorry to highjack...

I have a 7x19 Legend aluminum. 18 Ram 1500 Hemi. It does fine,but if I drive too fast it eats gas...I had a 6x12 open trailer, it was ok, but I like being able to put stuff in here and keep it out of sight. We also camp in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
A buddy has the Aluma 14’ single axle w/ Al deck and hinged ramp that he hauls his ‘18 G4 on. It tows great, even when behind his 5r.

As for the Al vs steel, I would ask how much you plan to ride in the winter? I have a steel 16’ “landscape” trailer that’s steel, and (knock on wood) is holding up good. I have had it since ‘05. Granted, it has only been used during the winter a handful of times, so that probably helps. It’s just a southern angle iron trailer, but weight is ~1300lbs. I would guess a square tube trailer may be in the ball park of 16-1800lbs. I’ll ask a buddy who has a 16’ sure trac to look at his registration.

Your truck should handle a steel trailer just fine, even with a 4 seater. We have an ‘18 Ram Hemi/3.92s and it tows our XP4 1000 just fine. It also does well towing our 21’ boat which is close to 5000lbs. Though the boat is slightly more aerodynamic, but still not great having a wake tower.

Good luck deciding!!!

0FE38889-D589-4723-87C5-AC8F1F1896F0.jpeg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Absolutely love my Aluma. Would highly recommend them to anyone. Once you go with an aluminum trailer, you’ll never go back to steel. Especially as a toy hauler.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have aull out from under trailer bed. Have xpt 4 s, 72” wide. Not much extra width but it fits. Wider wheels may be a problem.

I am looking for a new trailer before our trip to Moab at the end of April. Right now I am looking at a Aluma 7816 tandem axle. The only thing on the trailer will be a 2 seat XP. Does anyone have one of these or something similar? I have a little 6810 right now and it does not tow that great with the xp, worked great when I had an s. I may get a 4 seat down the road so I want something big enough that I will have some extra room if/when I step up to one. I am pulling with a 2014 1/2 ton ram so I'm trying to keep it on the lighter side. I also live in MN so I'd rather not get a steel trailer but I may be open to it. If I went with an Aluma, would you get ramps or a bifold hinged ramp? Any help would be appreciated!
Absolutely love my Aluma. Would highly recommend them to anyone. Once you go with an aluminum trailer, you’ll never go back to steel. Especially as a toy hauler.

I love my aluminum trailer also. Live in Minnesota and use for other hauling. Not as worried about salt and rust. May want to look into a Dct aluminum trailer. That’s what I have and love it. Bought it in Brookings SD not sure how far you are from there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A buddy has the Aluma 14’ single axle w/ Al deck and hinged ramp that he hauls his ‘18 G4 on. It tows great, even when behind his 5r.

As for the Al vs steel, I would ask how much you plan to ride in the winter? I have a steel 16’ “landscape” trailer that’s steel, and (knock on wood) is holding up good. I have had it since ‘05. Granted, it has only been used during the winter a handful of times, so that probably helps. It’s just a southern angle iron trailer, but weight is ~1300lbs. I would guess a square tube trailer may be in the ball park of 16-1800lbs. I’ll ask a buddy who has a 16’ sure trac to look at his registration.

Your truck should handle a steel trailer just fine, even with a 4 seater. We have an ‘18 Ram Hemi/3.92s and it tows our XP4 1000 just fine. It also does well towing our 21’ boat which is close to 5000lbs. Though the boat is slightly more aerodynamic, but still not great having a wake tower.

Good luck deciding!!!

View attachment 645749
If i went steel, I would be looking at basically what you have, or stepping up to a 18ft PJ car hauler. I finally found the weight on the PJ, looks to be 2080lbs, which is about 850-900 more than the Aluma. I don't currently pull that much in the winter, Its just impossible to keep anything nice in this state if its ever in the salt (n) Aluminum sure is nice but steel is a heck of a lot cheaper. Ive only got 3.21 with the 8 speed in mine, I can hardly tell the rzr is back there on my little Aluma I have now. Does your truck squat a lot with the steel?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I love my aluminum trailer also. Live in Minnesota and use for other hauling. Not as worried about salt and rust. May want to look into a Dct aluminum trailer. That’s what I have and love it. Bought it in Brookings SD not sure how far you are from there.
Ive been curious about that brand. There is a dealer for them just north of the twin cities. They have a aluminum 18ft with a wood deck, I just can't seem to find any info/reviews on them. It looks nicely built. How long have you had yours, holding up well?

·
Registered
6 Posts

Ive been curious about that brand. There is a dealer for them just north of the twin cities. They have a aluminum 18ft with a wood deck, I just can't seem to find any info/reviews on them. It looks nicely built. How long have you had yours, holding up well?
I'm from MN.also started out with a 6810 went to a 7818 and currently an aluminum enclosed.Loved the Aluma trailers,Had the ramps on my 7818 which I like better than the hinged ramp rattling and wearing the pins and straps, the 4 wheel brakes are great. resale on the Aluma trailers was great.Big difference in fuel mileage between open and enclosed but security and weather also are considerations.We make many trips to Moab every year (love it} and are going to be there towards the end of April, maybe see you there

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm from MN.also started out with a 6810 went to a 7818 and currently an aluminum enclosed.Loved the Aluma trailers,Had the ramps on my 7818 which I like better than the hinged ramp rattling and wearing the pins and straps, the 4 wheel brakes are great. resale on the Aluma trailers was great.Big difference in fuel mileage between open and enclosed but security and weather also are considerations.We make many trips to Moab every year (love it} and are going to be there towards the end of April, maybe see you there
Yea I don’t know if it will make much of a difference in fuel economy steel vs aluminum for an open trailer. I guess 1000lbs lighter might make a little difference. The resale of the Aluma would be nice down the road. We will be out there 25th-1st. First time going out there and we will be by ourselves. Gotta get some parts on the rzr for the trip yet too!

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Yea I don’t know if it will make much of a difference in fuel economy steel vs aluminum for an open trailer. I guess 1000lbs lighter might make a little difference. The resale of the Aluma would be nice down the road. We will be out there 25th-1st. First time going out there and we will be by ourselves. Gotta get some parts on the rzr for the trip yet too!
That's the same dates we're going too. PM me if you want to join us. We hit everything from "Cadillac" trails to " are you sure about that!"

·
Registered
113 Posts
If i went steel, I would be looking at basically what you have, or stepping up to a 18ft PJ car hauler. I finally found the weight on the PJ, looks to be 2080lbs, which is about 850-900 more than the Aluma. I don't currently pull that much in the winter, Its just impossible to keep anything nice in this state if its ever in the salt (n) Aluminum sure is nice but steel is a heck of a lot cheaper. Ive only got 3.21 with the 8 speed in mine, I can hardly tell the rzr is back there on my little Aluma I have now. Does your truck squat a lot with the steel?
I did find out the sure trac is just over 1900lbs for the 7x16’. Little heavier than I guessed.

As for our truck squatting, it doesn’t seem to be too bad at all with the RZR. But know that I had installed the air lift 1000hd bags before we bought the RZR. Our Scarab 215 has about 460lbs of tw, and that squatted it pretty good. So when towing the boat I air the bags up to ~35lbs, and the RZR I think it does ok at 20lbs, which is where I keep them when not towing.

Wish I could give an answer without the bags.

·
Registered
632 Posts
How does the Grand pull that? Hemi and air suspension? Total weight?
Sorry to highjack...

I have a 7x19 Legend aluminum. 18 Ram 1500 Hemi. It does fine,but if I drive too fast it eats gas...I had a 6x12 open trailer, it was ok, but I like being able to put stuff in here and keep it out of sight. We also camp in it.
Yes sir 5.7 and leveling suspension, I do use a weight distribution / sway hitch also. The trailer fully loaded is around 5000 lbs I keep my camping stuff in there also and regularly camp in it insulated with heat and A/C. Gas mileage is not the best, I usually average 8 mpg at 70-75mph I have got over 9 mpg at 60mph but I don't do that often, I have had it as bas as 6.5 MPG in a very hilly area with a strong headwind.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts