Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pick up my new Rzr 4 (2010 model) tomorrow. Looking forward to a bunch of mods and have some serious fun on the trails. A few things I've ordered already:

Gas tank shield
5 Point harnesses
HID's
Canvas top
Windshield
Front and rear bumpers
Winch
Hitch
Storage bin
Spare Belt

Anything else I should consider to start?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Congrats, you'll love it.....

....your list sounds exactly like mine.

But I guarantee it's the tip of the iceberg.

·
I just wanna ride
3,641 Posts
I pick up my new Rzr 4 (2010 model) tomorrow. Looking forward to a bunch of mods and have some serious fun on the trails. A few things I've ordered already:

Gas tank shield
5 Point harnesses
HID's
Canvas top
Windshield
Front and rear bumpers
Winch
Hitch
Storage bin
Spare Belt

Anything else I should consider to start?
Full skidplate
Tools to do a belt and others (also watch belt how to video)
Tire plug kit and small air compressor

Oh and welcome to the forum

·
Registered
108 Posts
I just put a deposit on a 2011 RZR 4 EPS today. Was told it is still be a few weeks out. Hope I get it before it gets cold and the wife doesn't want ride.

·
www.rockmidgetphotography
304 Posts
I see people talking about the belt...I have run Rhinos since they came out and have never had a belt actually break. They get loose and I know it is time to change, but break? How often does this happen?

I too am picking up my first RZR next week....

·
I just wanna ride
3,641 Posts
I see people talking about the belt...I have run Rhinos since they came out and have never had a belt actually break. They get loose and I know it is time to change, but break? How often does this happen?

I have 1700 miles on my S and the belt looks like new. others have shredded 2 or 3 belts in that time. It seems like when they go bad they go completely bad and you stuck. I keep a cheap belt with me just in case.

Congrats on the new RZR. You're gonna love it!

H

·
0 Posts

The clutch system is different...it isn't a "constant tension" .
I think that there are a few things that contribute to catastrophic belt failure on the Polaris' CVT..
1)...most people don't inspect the belt often enough..even after they think they may have hurt the belt..once it has a defect and abnormal wear continueing to run it can cause it to fail.
2) not using low range when appropriate..guys use high range when climbing hills,pulling someone ect..when they should be in low. It isn't that the belt can't handle the load..it is more that the clutches are not calibrated for that load at a low RPM and allow the belt to slip when the RPMS are low and the load is high....slip means ALOT of heat and that will kill a belt. With the clutch set up I have for the turbo I can climb stuff in high without slipping the belt that I could not before..and that it is all in the clutching..but at the same time a stock motor would just bog when climbing the same hill if clutched like mine. Also using low keeps the belt cooler via the clutches moving air..more RPMS more air flow.
3)..getting the belt wet and letting it slip..when a belt gets wet i will spli like crazy..if you don't dry it before trying to move the machine you are doing damage to the belt..again via heat and friction.

I think the belts are plenty tough enough....maybe even too tough/large for the stock RZR HP..if clutched so they don't slip at low RPM/high loads then the engine will bog. I've watched mine when it was stock in that scenario,high range going up a hill at say 5-10 mph and the belt flutters..not being pinched hard enough by the primary weights to pull it tight..more pinch means less RPM(more upshift) and that means bogging for a stock engine.

All in all..take care of the belt,learn how to inspect it..learn how to drive it..if the engine sounds like it is straining you should be in low range and it should last and last and like anything else replace it BEFORE it fails.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hoping to get 2011 all black rzr 4, sep 20th. Soooo looking forward to it. I went with the 4 even though we have alot of 50 trails near us. Most of the counties have opened up the roads, I just need to figure out where.

·
Registered
13,408 Posts
i'd go with a plastic top if you plan on doing trails. The canvas ones work, but ive scene buddies get theirs' ripped the first day out. Not to mention flapping int he wind if it isnt just right on the trailer to/from the ride....just my .02. and welcome!

·
www.rockmidgetphotography
304 Posts

The clutch system is different...it isn't a "constant tension" .
I think that there are a few things that contribute to catastrophic belt failure on the Polaris' CVT..
1)...most people don't inspect the belt often enough..even after they think they may have hurt the belt..once it has a defect and abnormal wear continueing to run it can cause it to fail.
2) not using low range when appropriate..guys use high range when climbing hills,pulling someone ect..when they should be in low. It isn't that the belt can't handle the load..it is more that the clutches are not calibrated for that load at a low RPM and allow the belt to slip when the RPMS are low and the load is high....slip means ALOT of heat and that will kill a belt. With the clutch set up I have for the turbo I can climb stuff in high without slipping the belt that I could not before..and that it is all in the clutching..but at the same time a stock motor would just bog when climbing the same hill if clutched like mine. Also using low keeps the belt cooler via the clutches moving air..more RPMS more air flow.
3)..getting the belt wet and letting it slip..when a belt gets wet i will spli like crazy..if you don't dry it before trying to move the machine you are doing damage to the belt..again via heat and friction.

I think the belts are plenty tough enough....maybe even too tough/large for the stock RZR HP..if clutched so they don't slip at low RPM/high loads then the engine will bog. I've watched mine when it was stock in that scenario,high range going up a hill at say 5-10 mph and the belt flutters..not being pinched hard enough by the primary weights to pull it tight..more pinch means less RPM(more upshift) and that means bogging for a stock engine.

All in all..take care of the belt,learn how to inspect it..learn how to drive it..if the engine sounds like it is straining you should be in low range and it should last and last and like anything else replace it BEFORE it fails.
That is what I figured. Thanks for the good intel.

H

·
0 Posts
i'd go with a plastic top if you plan on doing trails. The canvas ones work, but ive scene buddies get theirs' ripped the first day out. Not to mention flapping int he wind if it isnt just right on the trailer to/from the ride....just my .02. and welcome!
Plastic top for sure..I wanted the fabric top for easy removal..my dealer who has many many miles trail riding RZRs convinced me to go with the plastic top..I am very glad he did..I know the fabric top would have been trashed already. With the plastic top I just push low limbs out of the way...not to mention I don't have to remove it to trailer it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts