Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this is a great forum and reminds me a lot of my other favorite forum, R1-Forum.com.

I'm in a bit of a bind. I've got a new 2011 LE, and I ordered Tusk Skids for it. As the skids are on their way in, I quickly realized that I forgot to check and see if they were compatable with the 11. After a quick phone call to the guys I ordered from, they said it would not fit. :censored7:

So they finally showed up tonight, and before I pay shipping to send them back for a refund, I decided to check and see just how off they were. Well other than the small front piece all the hardware (eyeballing) looks to line up. The only sketchy piece is the front diff skid that seems to stick out a little bit.

If it were you guys, what would you do? Try and install them? Send them back and wait for a 2011 version? Drink a lot of beer and pass out? I'm stumped.

Thanks guys!

Attachments

·
Banned
5,672 Posts
sympathies, i had a good day, so heres my offer....
a large FREE sticker for the bottom of your ride! what do you want it to say?
your skid is fresh and new it will apply easily.
jump some dune and they will read the bottom - on me. pm me.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Do you have a drill and some drill bits and know how to use them? If the holes don't line up drill new ones. The sub frames on the new models look the same to me. (length x width)

Just mark where the holes need to be and drill them out. But do your self a favor and ditch the stock skid pan bolts and get better ones. (aka grade 8 button head bolts)

Still as much cool stuff for a RZR that I have found here I still don't get the uber over priced skid pans or the want to buy them. Just buy a sheet of HMUW and make your own for a fraction of the cost. All you need is a jigsaw to cut it out and a drill to make the holes for the bolts to bolt it on. A six packs worth of time in the evening and your done with money left to spare to fund your beer habit for the next six months of working on your RZR.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Still as much cool stuff for a RZR that I have found here I still don't get the uber over priced skid pans or the want to buy them. Just buy a sheet of HMUW and make your own for a fraction of the cost. All you need is a jigsaw to cut it out and a drill to make the holes for the bolts to bolt it on. A six packs worth of time in the evening and your done with money left to spare to fund your beer habit for the next six months of working on your RZR.
while i agree that making one wouldnt be that hard, the material is going to cost around 250 bones (you will end up with a 2 piece skid), and then you get to spend a weekend measuring, drilling, fitting, etc

or, for another 100 bucks, you can buy a pre-cut/pre-drilled/pre-formed skid that is even bent in the right places to conform to the bottom of the vehicle. besides getting the additional front and rear diff skids and all the hardware, one company even throws in a tank guard to sweeten the deal

i think the extra 100 bucks is justified and since i refuse to drink crappy beer, that 100 bucks wouldnt last anywhere near 6 months

·
Registered
200 Posts
while i agree that making one wouldnt be that hard, the material is going to cost around 250 bones (you will end up with a 2 piece skid), and then you get to spend a weekend measuring, drilling, fitting, etc
Negative ghost rider! A 1/2 sheet of 1/2" thick HMUW or is it UMHW the super hard black stuff (which is stonger than 1/4" steel and slicker than teflon I use it on my rock buggy) will make one complete one piece skid pan for a rzr. If you are paying $250 for half a sheet you are getting royally robbed.

Last sheet I bought was 4x10 and it was just under $400.

·
I just wanna ride
3,641 Posts
Post your location and see if anyone wants it for what you paid for it. Do you have any friends you ride with that might want it.

and
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:)Great ideas guys.

I think I've decided to go ahead and mount them up. I've got all the tools needed for some modification.

I've considered ebaying it, selling it on the forum, etc... but these things are pretty heavy, and I think shipping would make this a very expensive mistake.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

BTW: I picked up the Tusk 3/8" sliders for 257.00 shipping included. (ebay) They are definetly an improvement over the flimsy stock cover and should give me all the protection I need for the occasional Missouri creek bottom.

Now to try and find brush guards and arm guards that I won't need to mod for the 2011.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Price wise you guys are off a bit.. I called around here and just a piece of UHMW big enough was a couple hundred bucks.. I also paid around 260 for my Tusk skids shipped to my door. Thats a lot of cutting a shaping for 60 bucks.. My time is worth a little something.

As far as what to do.. I'd mod the one you have to fit if its that close. Take your stock skid off and lay it on the ground. Compare the holes to the new one.. If most of them line up and the only real difference is the small front piece. Then I'd go for it.. It might take them months to come out with a 2011 version.. On top of that you might not can find as good of deals when they first come out..

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Mod it to fit for sure before pissing away the $$ to return ship. Can't be that far off. The front of the skid is a bitch to get on even on the 2010's due to the bend required.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts