Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 XP1000 and am doing more rock crawling. Just spent a week in Moab and had a blast, Escalator beat me up. Found 3 trails that I couldn't climb the ledges.
3 weeks ago I broke an axle attempting to go up a rock ledge at Holy Cross in CO.
I don't know where to start, running stock bighorns.
Adjusted the suspension for better height.
Put Super ATV high clearance a arms on the front.

What do I need that will give me the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Im in a 15 900 and we (other guy is xp1k) spend 5-7hrs out each time and avg about 4mph. On my rig for tight technical and rocks (windrock TN) the best I found for me was a 47% reduction that I installed. Im on 33’s now but even on 30’s i could do 61 in H, Low is plain awesome, it makes slow driving soo much easier. Theres lots of videos floating around of a moab trip and 47 reduction by another member too.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have a 2014 XP1000 and am doing more rock crawling. Just spent a week in Moab and had a blast, Escalator beat me up. Found 3 trails that I couldn't climb the ledges.
3 weeks ago I broke an axle attempting to go up a rock ledge at Holy Cross in CO.

Definitely bigger tires. One guy was saying 35's were great for ledges. But at what cost, I'd say be a bit more conservative. Also, something like a can am maverick sport xrc is a good choice if you're up for a new rig, no trailing arms! I almost got one but then got sucked into the high hp, travel, allure and dynamix intrique.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
You want a soft close tread design tire. A 30" tire will work well on your machine. Roxxzillas or RC Lobos are excellent choice for rock crawling. I would suggest getting a clutch kit and some new springs for your shocks. The key to rock crawling is learning the rocks and what lines to take. Take your time learn where your machine works best. Try to avoid bouncing because you will break axles. The best advice for someone new to crawling is learn to drive your machine and you'll be amazed at where you can go.

Definitely bigger tires. One guy was saying 35's were great for ledges. But at what cost, I'd say be a bit more conservative. Also, something like a can am maverick sport xrc is a good choice if you're up for a new rig, no trailing arms! I almost got one but then got sucked into the high hp, travel, allure and dynamix intrique.
He asked about what he can do to HIS machine and you suggest a new machine? The XRC does have trailing arms, 4 more HP than the XPT, and longer travel.

·
Vendor
10,238 Posts
You want a soft close tread design tire. A 30" tire will work well on your machine. Roxxzillas or RC Lobos are excellent choice for rock crawling. I would suggest getting a clutch kit and some new springs for your shocks. The key to rock crawling is learning the rocks and what lines to take. Take your time learn where your machine works best. Try to avoid bouncing because you will break axles. The best advice for someone new to crawling is learn to drive your machine and you'll be amazed at where you can go.

He asked about what he can do to HIS machine and you suggest a new machine? The XRC does have trailing arms, 4 more HP than the XPT, and longer travel.

I think you missed the Sport part, A arms, 100 hp, leave the Sport off you are talking X3 with turbo

https://can-am.brp.com/off-road/side-by-side/maverick-sport/maverick-sport-x-rc.html

·
Registered
2,724 Posts

I think you missed the Sport part, A arms, 100 hp, leave the Sport off you are talking X3 with turbo

https://can-am.brp.com/off-road/side-by-side/maverick-sport/maverick-sport-x-rc.html
Yep I missed the "sport" part.

My riding partner has a XRC and it's a sweet machine but I still give him crap because he was a RZR guy.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Bigger tires and gear reduction should go the furthest for improving your RZR for rock crawling. But, like Joe said, driver skill is crucial in crawling. I watched guys put near-stock jeeps up climbs that other guys with built rigs couldn’t get up. Picking the lines and knowing exactly when to get on and off the gas is something that just takes practice.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I’m not sure what best bang for the buck means....... my experience is that by changing anything it will result in costly series of purchases that will drain your wallet ! Lots of people run 32’s. That takes doing a 30 % gear reduction, clutch work or a Duraclutch, better throw some decent axles in it.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
2,166 Posts
I’m not sure what best bang for the buck means....... my experience is that by changing anything it will result in costly series of purchases that will drain your wallet ! Lots of people run 32’s. That takes doing a 30 % gear reduction, clutch work or a Duraclutch, better throw some decent axles in it.
Nail on the head.... its an expensive path to go down! But you can't take it with ya, might as well have fun with it!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hey definitely listen to these other guys more than me, I've done been served. ;) In just trying to help, I thought tires were, in comparison, the bang for the buck solution you were asking for but has been pointed out, opens up a whole 'nother can of worms.

Bad suggestion admittedly to change machines (and in a rzr forum haha) but when you said ledges that definitely brought to mind this video I had seen. Start at 2:33.

Guess my point (for anyone wanting to listen) was starting with the right machine for what you want to do could be considerably less expensive and bothersome than retrofitting in the long run. Seems to me the RZR TRSE or this Can Am Sport XRC are a better start for the rc crowd than the more mainstream offerings and more economical to boot.

·
Registered
116 Posts

I would suggest adding a good skid plate and rock sliders, before you break your plastics and damage your undercarriage. much better than my way of tearing up a bunch of stuff first, then buying a good skid.

·
Can never have 2 much FUN
206 Posts
I'm running 30" Rocktanes on a stock 2016 Highlifter and there isn't too much I haven't climbed in Moab.

Pick your line, and follow your spotter's guidance ... slow and easy is the best way to get back to camp safely.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I ran 32x11.5 KM2s on my '15 XP 1000 for a long time, my Brother-In-Law bought it and still runs them. It's running a heal-clicker clutch kit but stock gearing, and works great. Yes, for crawling a 30% reduction would be better, but it's worked well crawling w/ the stock gearing (obviously running in Low).

-TJ

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Rock sliders, skid plate if you do not already have them. If you REALLY into rock climbing, gear reduction or trade up for the RZR TRE. Like stated, it is about picking the lines and practice. We also use a spotter more often in the crazy stuff after we rolled 2 of them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts