Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Vandal
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple of questions since it didn't come with an owners manual First where and how many grease zerks do these machines have 2nd This machine has a powered busbar under the hood Battery power, key on power, and a ground. Can a person just use short cables for a winch and not have to run cables all the way back to the battery Thanks in advance Vandal aka Richard

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not sure on the grease zerks but the busbar is not capable of running enough power to operate a winch. If you get a Polaris kit I beleave they hook up the relay or contactor assembly to it but you still need to run heavy cabling back to the battery.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just get the factory power cable from Polaris. Has a fuse built in and ring terminals. Take up your Consol it has plastic clips that mount the cable in factory holes

·
Vandal
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just get the factory power cable from Polaris. Has a fuse built in and ring terminals. Take up your Consol it has plastic clips that mount the cable in factory holes
So will the busbar support a winch or not. Sounds like your saying it will and the other fella says it wont

·
Registered
14 Posts
the factory harness he is talking about goes to the battery. The buss bar will not run a winch

·
Registered
124 Posts
The Polaris cable goes from battery to buss bar. Then you can connect your winch and accessories to the buss bar

·
Registered
32 Posts
^^^^

I agree with the previous posts on the factory harness. The connections are made at the bus bar, but the load is being handled by the very heavy cable directly from the battery.

Has anyone upgraded the bus bar to something a bit more heavy duty or with more terminals? The OEM bar seems a little wimpy.

·
Vandal
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have installed winches before and always went to the battery but when I saw the busbar, and tested it for keyed power and constant power I was hoping it would do for the main line to the winch Just wishful thinking I guess

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah I think it’d be a good way to turn your ride into a BBQ the first time you put a serious load on it. My brothers both have XPs and I will probably be joining the club soon. I’ve helped install a couple winches on their machines it wasn’t too bad to do with the factory kit.

·
Vandal
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its not really that hard of a job using anyones kit, was just hoping that the busbar was strong enough to eliminate the pulling of the console to run the pos and neg wires. The time consuming stuff is what makes the winch installs more difficult

·
Registered
32 Posts
^^^^

It's been a few years, but I don't think you need to pull the dash apart. Pop a few push pins and screws out of the tunnel cover and run the wire through the firewall.

·
Vandal
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I think it’d be a good way to turn your ride into a BBQ the first time you put a serious load on it. My brothers both have XPs and I will probably be joining the club soon. I’ve helped install a couple winches on their machines it wasn’t too bad to do with the factory kit.
Yamahooper, Called Polaris today and they told me it was OK to wire the main power supply to the busbar as long as it was a factory busbar. I think I'm still going to go to the battery

·
Registered
90 Posts
Congrats Vandal. Excited to hear your impressions after a couple of long rides in the new toy. Hopefully your 570 finds a loving home!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Vandal, Congrats! I've got an 18 S 1000... re winch power: I'd suggest running 2 new power lines from the battery, 1 for winch, 1 for accessories that are ignition noise sensitive. I put a blue seas circuit buss up above the driver's dead pedal, use an 12v auto relay with ignition as monitoring, the 2nd new power line from battery as the plus. There's probably a better way, but that's what I came up with to be able to wire in radios and such.

Back to the winch, I also read that having a big kill switch in the winches negative line would be a good safety feature if it get's completely submerged. Haven't got that far yet, but it's on the to-do list.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yamahooper, Called Polaris today and they told me it was OK to wire the main power supply to the busbar as long as it was a factory busbar. I think I'm still going to go to the battery
If it were mine I’d still run directly to the battery with the main leads but if dealer says it is ok maybe they’ve made some changes to the in the last couple years. Good luck and have fun with your new toy!

·
Vandal
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Going to run wire to the battery tomorrow morning. Got the winch installed, just the wiring left which shouldn't take much more than an hour

·
Vandal
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Vandal, Congrats! I've got an 18 S 1000... re winch power: I'd suggest running 2 new power lines from the battery, 1 for winch, 1 for accessories that are ignition noise sensitive. I put a blue seas circuit buss up above the driver's dead pedal, use an 12v auto relay with ignition as monitoring, the 2nd new power line from battery as the plus. There's probably a better way, but that's what I came up with to be able to wire in radios and such.

Back to the winch, I also read that having a big kill switch in the winches negative line would be a good safety feature if it get's completely submerged. Haven't got that far yet, but it's on the to-do list.
Louie Thanks for the tip but I wont be needing any noise sensitive stuff. When I ride all I want to hear are the birds and that great engine sound, so there are no radios in the future of my 1000S I like to leave all that noise making stuff at the house and enjoy the woods. Different strokes for different folks and I totally understand that Good riding to you

1 - 20 of 25 Posts