Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i picked up my new 2011 rzr yesterday evening and got to put about 5 miles on it before I had to put it up to go home. I didn't do any hard riding, all flat with gravel roads and some fields. My speeds went from running 15-20 MPH just taking it easy to up to 40 MPH. I noticed that my fan kicked on alot also just putting around, fluids all looked good.

I come from a long line of Honda drivers who don't wear belts, haha. Should've I at the slower speeds of 15-20 put it in low? I never did put it in low but a friend told me today that I should have.

In my days i've always had 5 gears and knew what each would do and when and where to put it. Unfortunately i've got a big ride Labor Day weekend and I'd had to burn a belt or anything to strand or embaress myself because i'm unsure of a belt just yet.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, that's about what i figured. What about the fan kicking on like 4 or 5 times. I know the radiator isn't clogged or anything. i guess coming from an aircooled machine I didn't have a fan to kick on often. The only reason i ask is that it definately got hot and there is no top windshield or anything like that. It just seemed a little excessive i thought.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Steve, I'm sure I'll have many more questions as i get time to ride more. These 15 hour days for the next week can''t come quick enough as I am ready to chauffeur my wife around for a weekend of play.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Chip, also get a spare belt and the tools to change the belt out in the bush. My spare has been broken in also,
John

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Another think, Chip, you might want to check the coolant level in the radiator and the overflow tank. The system sometimes has to "burp" to get the system full,
John

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How long to break in a belt? I know dealer said 10 hours or 100 miles on fluids. Same on belt also? Do i need to just drive it easy til then?

Should i break in spare belt also? I've got a page bookmarked on how to change it on the trail.

Will you actually start to smell the belt when you burn it? I've just seen many of them wet.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Don't let them worry you about the belt. I have 900 miles and never have had a issue with mine. I do have a spair but I have never needed it. Use low when you climb hills at low speed or crawling over things. Check all fluid levels and make sure things are tight exp. all air cleaner boot clamps. You will wnat to add 4 or 5 point harness for safety. Short of that have fun but use commin since

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
You will have broken in the belt by the time you are done with the engine. I have bought a spare, then simulated the belt replacement in the field (everything hot and using the tools you will have out on your ride) then breaking in that belt and using the original as your spare.
I can't impress new owners on how important this is for it will happen and usually in some horrible area that caused you to destroy the belt in the first place. That tool you have in your toolbox back home won't help you in the field,
John

·
Registered
415 Posts
I don't have a spare belt but, will be getting one before my next ride...most likely an EPI belt.

Was on a ride yesterday and one of the guys said the dealer, in his area, charges 4 hrs for a belt change...he did his on the trail in 30minutes.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I was told to use low when climbing and water crossing.. we have both where I ride..other then that high was Ok....
I put 170 miles on mine the first weekend I got it...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts