Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many may have seen this but thought I would share. Come Jan. 1, 2013 helmets are required, no aftermarket backseat conversions (Teryx/Rhino style) and a confusing rule about passengers reaching the "oh $#!%" bars while having their feet reach the floor. I guess this is to restrict kid passengers...? That would really suck!
Now that I am going to be forced to wear a helmet, any recommendations?

Here is the info I found @ Imperial Sand Dunes - Frequently Asked Questions - Laws and Safety

Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle (ROV): also known as UTV or sideXside

Effective January 01, 2013, per California Legislation AB1595

ohv.parks.ca.gov

California Vehicle Code (CVC):*

38600. A person operating a recreational off-highway vehicle shall be at least 16 years of age, or be directly supervised in the vehicle by a parent or guardian or by an adult authorized by the parent or guardian.

38601. A person shall not operate, or allow a passenger in, a recreational off-highway vehicle unless the person and the passenger are wearing safety helmets meeting the requirements established for motorcycles and motorized bicycles pursuant to Section 27802.

38602. A person operating, and any passenger in, a recreational off-highway vehicle shall wear a seatbelt and shoulder belt or safety harness that is properly fastened when the vehicle is in motion.

38603. A person operating a recreational off-highway vehicle shall not allow a passenger to occupy a separate seat location not designed and provided by the manufacturer for a passenger.

38604. A person operating a recreational off-highway vehicle shall not ride with a passenger, unless the passenger, while seated upright with his or her back against the seatback with both feet flat on the floorboard, can grasp the occupant handhold with the seatbelt and shoulder belt or safety harness properly fastened.

SECTION 1. Section 500 is added to the Vehicle Code, to read:

500. “Recreational off-highway vehicle” means a motor vehicle meeting all of the following criteria:

(a) Designed by the manufacturer for operation primarily off of the highway.

(b) Has a steering wheel for steering control.

(c) Has nonstraddle seating provided by the manufacturer for the operator and all passengers.

(d) (1) Has a maximum speed capability of greater than 30 miles per hour.

***** (2) A vehicle designed by the manufacturer with a maximum speed capability of 30 miles per hour or*less but is* modified so that it has a maximum speed capability of greater than 30 miles per hour*satisfies the criteria set forth in this subdivision.

(e) Has an engine displacement equal to or less than 1,000cc (61 ci).

·
Desert Rat
2,118 Posts
AB 1595 has been amended and is on its way to Brown for signature. The Helmet Provision has not been changed however. Go to the American Sand Association website to see the amended bill.

I'd rather be riding in the desert than using Tapatalk!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Is the helmet law just for the kids? Also can we use any DOT helmet?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

·
Sand Slinger
1,264 Posts
Is the helmet law just for the kids? Also can we use any DOT helmet?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
No and yes

Sent by me from my damn phone...

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Let me see....New Mexico (Santa Fe) ranger district trying to close MY forest and yes I do own that forest seeing as I have been going there for 47years and that is longer than most of the snot nosed Kids who think they know it better, now the Californicator libs who are going to save my life by making me wear a helmet I don't want and you would think they would prefer I don't wear one and die in a crash since I don't support them. Oh am I rambling sorry, just waiting for a tire rotation.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapa Talk

·
Registered
126 Posts
All riders must site back in the seat and have their feet flat on the floor!!!!! Wow this is going to suck for the kides that now cannot ride at all. Every where you turn now. Seems you cannot get away from the Gov.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am a 903 stroker but now looking for a 1003 stroker so I do not have to put on a helment. Was going to buy a RZRs 4 for grandkids but now there wil be no need to Thay cannot even ride in it. That just Sucks!!!

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I am a 903 stroker but now looking for a 1003 stroker so I do not have to put on a helment. Was going to buy a RZRs 4 for grandkids but now there wil be no need to Thay cannot even ride in it. That just Sucks!!!
the law goes by factory registration cc's, so you could bore that thing out to 1500 cc and it wont matter . your still getting a ticket. sorry

·
Registered
903 Posts
All riders must site back in the seat and have their feet flat on the floor!!!!! Wow this is going to suck for the kides that now cannot ride at all. Every where you turn now. Seems you cannot get away from the Gov.
Please read thread California's AB1595 in the Public Lands section at the bottom of the main forum page. If you do you will read and learn all about AB1595 and the amendment AB1266 that removes the rear feet on the floor section of the bill and defers the aftermarket rear seats until July 2013. This will give more time for Legislation to fix and have provisions for aftermarket rear seats.

·
Premium Member
10,032 Posts
I really hate living in California and the dumbass politicians that think they know whats best for me and my family...I'm soooo glad we pay these azzwipes to restrict us..

BTW.. hey Steve, how you been?

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Yep its more and more tempting to move out of Ca. What's next we will be told how we can wipe our own ass? Welcome back BigMike

·
Registered
148 Posts
damn.... its like they are trying to keep our kids out of the rzrs... Thats the main reason I got the new xp4 and sold the rhino with the rear seat... I only go a couple times a year, but the kids love it.

·
Family, it's about time
1,503 Posts
the law goes by factory registration cc's, so you could bore that thing out to 1500 cc and it wont matter . your still getting a ticket. sorry
Not sure where you are getting your info. Nothing in the law says it is based off of factory cc's. As far as I know the off highway division responsible for coming up with enforcement guidelines has not published anything either. At this point we don't know how they are going to enforce it. The law specifically does not state it is what it was included with. According to the law it says you must meet all the criteria. If you don't then you're not an Rohv

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Let me see....New Mexico (Santa Fe) ranger district trying to close MY forest and yes I do own that forest seeing as I have been going there for 47years and that is longer than most of the snot nosed Kids who think they know it better, now the Californicator libs who are going to save my life by making me wear a helmet I don't want and you would think they would prefer I don't wear one and die in a crash since I don't support them. Oh am I rambling sorry, just waiting for a tire rotation.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapa Talk
Well said! I'm with Don!!!

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Not sure where you are getting your info. Nothing in the law says it is based off of factory cc's. As far as I know the off highway division responsible for coming up with enforcement guidelines has not published anything either. At this point we don't know how they are going to enforce it. The law specifically does not state it is what it was included with. According to the law it says you must meet all the criteria. If you don't then you're not an Rohv
its not rocket science. lol. they will call in your make and model. otherwise eveyone could claim exempt. you buy a rzr xp it is always gonna be 874cc(example). no matter what you bore it out to.if you own a 350 corvette,and then put in a big block 454, what does the registration say?simple.you will not be able to go around it.i can see it now, cops pull over a 570,uuuummmmm welll its bored out to a 1003 cc motor.Ya ok,aint gonna happen.factory specs ,end of story.your gonna get a ticket.when you go for emissions ,they go by make and model, period.i wish it were as easy as saying you are over the cc limit,but good luck, we are dealing with goverment ,who could careless ,other than what the computer is gonna tell them. we are cooke until next year when we all can ban together and get this crap repealed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Why can't your grandkids ride in an rzr4?

·
Premium Member
10,032 Posts
"Each year in the U.S., between 66 and 77 children under the age of 10 die and more than 10,000 children under age 15 are treated in emergency rooms''''

From what you ask?????

after choking on hot dogs.........Ban hot dogs, not UTV's

Frickin nanny state...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts