Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the new Factory UTV Swingarm this morning. All I can say is WOW, What an awsome job!! Simple, neat and clean! I really like the molded skidplate. And its lighter than the factory swingarm.

The swap was easy and took just under 2 hrs (which included wife calling me on cell). I suggest either using 2 floor jacks or what I did was lift the 170 from the back put wooden blocks under the main frame (motor) and then using my jack to raise and lower the swing arm as needed for removal and install.

After removing wheels, I took off shocks, removed brake unit (2 bolts), laid it off to the side and then removed the chain. I then droped the swing arm down all the way and removed the axle. Last I took off the spring tensioner.

I set the heim joints where they looked good to me and then measured and corrected both to same length. Then its just a reversal of everything and putting it back together. I spent more time getting the chain put back together than any thing. Factory Utv provides extra links but I messed them up. But I did have a new chain on the bench so I used it.

I did get to take it out for a quick spin and eveything worked great.

Thanks Bob & Dave and also to Eva for handling my calls!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you don't extend the heim joint bolts Yon may not need to add any links. They have included 3 links and keeper with the kit.

I gained 3/4" ground clearence. I extended the heims some and easily gained 1 1/4". 2" is possible but not sure how close to the end of bolt you will be.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Rather than start a new thread, it made sense to add to this existing thread on the new swing arm and share a similar experience.

My son is 11 and has had his RZR 170 for a year or so. We love the little machine, and have done quite a few upgrades to help make it trail/dune ready.. However, we have had many problems with the rear swing arm, almost from the start. It has bent/broke on us several times. My son doesn't abuse his RZR, but he definitely does ride it. The final time it failed was at the Oregon dunes in Coos Bay, it bent enough so that the countershaft and rear sprocket were no longer lined up. We still had a good vacation, but it wasn't as fun for him to ride co-pilot in his dads RZR S.

I got in touch with Bob at Factory UTV, and he told me to bring the RZR to his shop and he would get us back up and running. We picked up my sons RZR from Factory UTV a few days ago with the new FUTV Swing Arm, 11 tooth countershaft, and two inch spacers up front. We couldn't be happier with the quality of work and great customer service.

My son rode the 170 for most of the weekend with my nephew co-piloting. The new FUTV swing arm is extremely well built, and handled great. We gained well over 1" of clearance with the new swing arm, also the 2" spacers up front helped quite a bit with the camber issues created by the Raptor 700 shocks we installed.

I am very pleased with the new swing arm and would recommend it to anyone with a RZR 170. Factory UTV has put together a great product, and really go the extra mile in working with their customers. Thx FUTV, I really appreciate all the extra work you put into my sons RZR 170.

Bill

·
AKA: blinginvic
2,928 Posts
Thanxs for the info jexter. UPS just delivered mine today to the Oregon Dunes KOA. I'm looking forward to getting it bolted up. I also had them send me the 11t sprocket and I picked up a new 520 O-Ring chain. My kids 170 rear end should be good to go after these updates.

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
Rather than start a new thread, it made sense to add to this existing thread on the new swing arm and share a similar experience.

My son is 11 and has had his RZR 170 for a year or so. We love the little machine, and have done quite a few upgrades to help make it trail/dune ready.. However, we have had many problems with the rear swing arm, almost from the start. It has bent/broke on us several times. My son doesn't abuse his RZR, but he definitely does ride it. The final time it failed was at the Oregon dunes in Coos Bay, it bent enough so that the countershaft and rear sprocket were no longer lined up. We still had a good vacation, but it wasn't as fun for him to ride co-pilot in his dads RZR S.

I got in touch with Bob at Factory UTV, and he told me to bring the RZR to his shop and he would get us back up and running. We picked up my sons RZR from Factory UTV a few days ago with the new FUTV Swing Arm, 11 tooth countershaft, and two inch spacers up front. We couldn't be happier with the quality of work and great customer service.

My son rode the 170 for most of the weekend with my nephew co-piloting. The new FUTV swing arm is extremely well built, and handled great. We gained well over 1" of clearance with the new swing arm, also the 2" spacers up front helped quite a bit with the camber issues created by the Raptor 700 shocks we installed.

I am very pleased with the new swing arm and would recommend it to anyone with a RZR 170. Factory UTV has put together a great product, and really go the extra mile in working with their customers. Thx FUTV, I really appreciate all the extra work you put into my sons RZR 170.

Bill
Thanks Bill! The 2 inch spacers up front work great with our 1 inch spacers out back which even it out real nice. I need to get to work and get our spacers up on the website and here on the forums... We really appreciate the kind words :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
You should be happy with the upgrades Bilinvic, that same combination worked out great on my sons. Good luck at the dunes, you'll have to let us know how the the 170 does. We always stay at the KOA in North Bend, one of my favorite places to ride/stay. We'll be back out there again the first week of October...

Bill

·
AKA: blinginvic
2,928 Posts
I now have the new swingarm and 11t sprocket all bolted up and ready to roll...will test it out tomorrow in the dunes. After a quick spin around the KOA, the bottom end seems much improved. The only problem I ran into is the drivers side heim bolt is a tad too long and will hit the transmission case. I put the washer on the bolt side and it fits fine now, but I'll have to put another washer on the nut side when I get home. I'm very impressed FUTV...great job. Thanxs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Guys, HIGHLY recommend rerouting the brake lines inside the right swingarm tube. Will avoid any clearance problems with tires, especially if you lower tire pressure for sand. Know this from experience. Just reroute and zip tie and you will have no problems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Help please, After setting up my kids machine exactly like the one on the beginning of this thread, meaning I replaced the swing arm with the factory UTV and put the LTR 450 shocks on the rear. I got everything put back together and the kids took it out for a test drive. When they accelerate from a dead stop the back tires go toward the front of the machine and the back end lifts up. It looks like the shocks go to full extension. How did you guys adjust the shocks for this set up? I am thinking it is an issue with the shocks and possibly too much preload. I think the heim joints are set correctly. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
Help please, After setting up my kids machine exactly like the one on the beginning of this thread, meaning I replaced the swing arm with the factory UTV and put the LTR 450 shocks on the rear. I got everything put back together and the kids took it out for a test drive. When they accelerate from a dead stop the back tires go toward the front of the machine and the back end lifts up. It looks like the shocks go to full extension. How did you guys adjust the shocks for this set up? I am thinking it is an issue with the shocks and possibly too much preload. I think the heim joints are set correctly. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Give the shop a call

·
Registered
14 Posts

Did you ever get this figured out? Curious on what the issue was and it will be helpful for others in the future when searching.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Starting to get some weld cracks in my previously reinforced stock 2009 swing arm. Likely not a coincidence that the chain jumped off last time the kids took it out (first time we have ever had a problem).

I think it is time to see if Factory UTV has a forum discount :) Our 170 has some great mods already from previous owner, but this will be my first upgrade. Will be hard not to get tempted by other mods at the same time. Kids would love doors, clutch and pipe. Well, they don't know enough to ask for the clutch and pipe, but I know they would love it. :) They already have the most important mods... harnesses, shocks, and cage. Side note: Shocks make the most amazing difference on this little guy.

Will report back after I find out options from Factory UTV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
Starting to get some weld cracks in my previously reinforced stock 2009 swing arm. Likely not a coincidence that the chain jumped off last time the kids took it out (first time we have ever had a problem).

I think it is time to see if Factory UTV has a forum discount :) Our 170 has some great mods already from previous owner, but this will be my first upgrade. Will be hard not to get tempted by other mods at the same time. Kids would love doors, clutch and pipe. Well, they don't know enough to ask for the clutch and pipe, but I know they would love it. :) They already have the most important mods... harnesses, shocks, and cage. Side note: Shocks make the most amazing difference on this little guy.

Will report back after I find out options from Factory UTV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You can use discount code rzr170swing :ride:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Bill! The 2 inch spacers up front work great with our 1 inch spacers out back which even it out real nice. I need to get to work and get our spacers up on the website and here on the forums... We really appreciate the kind words :)
Are the spacers on the website? Sorry to resurrect an old thread, I'm new to working on 170s and am about to install the swingarm. If I could go ahead and lift it while I have it taken apart in my shop, I'd go ahead and get some spacers and raise it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Please give the shop a call 916.383.2730
Can you please tell me here? I called and the lady who answered kept asking me, "Which ones do you want?" and "What are you wanting?" and "I'm having a hard time hearing you".
Honestly, I hate talking to strangers on the phone. The internet provides some anonymity, at least.

Since the post I inquired about is 10 years old, I figured it would be a product on the website, easy to order and ship.

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
Apologies for such a late response, and the situation you encountered over the phone when you called in.

they are available to order on the site, on the 170 page here
we offer a few different spacer/adapter options:
we have a 1" wheel spacer
we have a 2" wheel spacer

we have a 2" wheel Spacer/ Adapter
we have a wheel spacer adapter kit, 4 items total, bundled.
and we have a Polaris RZR-170 Complete Custom Tire-Wheel Set - that includes the spacers, wheels and tires to do the upgrade.

Use the coupon code spacer1 on the wheel spacer page, or the wheel adapter page, or the wheel spacer adapter kit page for a forum discount on these items.

the wheel adapter goes up to the larger sized RZR wheel (like the XP1K wheel size)
our 11 tooth sprocket accounts for the larger wheel size as well, so withthe wheel spacer adapter kit, larger wheels, and sprocket, it should have somewhat similar performance, to the stock 170, on a much wider stance and platform. there are other companies that sell the larger front sprocket, paired with our 11 tooth sprocket , you would see a serious performance change.
but gear calculations would need to be made *(more drastic changes would require some EFI tune modifications, trim adjustments or playing with the carb some on the older non EFI models)

Rear Wheel Spacers Bolt pattern : 4 x 110
– Offset : 1″ or 2″
– Includes : One Set of Two spacers ( 1 pair )
and set of tapered Acorn Lug Nuts for Hub Centric installation.

– Front wheel adapter Bolt pattern : 4 x 110 to 4 x 156
– Offset : 2″
– Includes : One Set of Two wheel Adapters ( 1 pair )
and set of tapered Acorn Lug Nuts for Hub Centric installation.

- Spacer/ adapter Kit includes 2 of each from the above options

With the front wheel on a 2" adapter, and the rear 1" spacer
it evens out the wheels of the 170, squares it up some, and helps the geometry of your 170's handling, or changes the "Ackerman points".
basically bringing the wheels even all the way around the UTV, as opposed to wider in the back and more narrow in the front, < ( since it's not a drag car lol )

the narrow front on the oem 170 seems to cause a lot of camber issues, these help with that just a little bit, but if this is the main concern, i would look at some of the aftermarket a-arm kits for the 170, Ultimately the front a-arms need to be doubled up with an upper a-arm,
the oem setup on the 170 the shock mounts to the lower a-arm and leaves a lot to be desired, and is the root cause of the camber issue over time.
would love to see someone modify what they have in place on the ace 150 and ranger 150 a-arms, like an oem upgrade to fit a 170 if possible, would make it a lot simpler for alto of folks.

i know there are other companies that sell an aftermarket front a-arm kit, and another that makes a +3 rear axle kit as well, these
in conjunction with the wheel spacer adapters, would make for a pretty wide +5 "LT" 170.

also to note, the aftermarket +3 axles do work in conjunction with our 170 swingarm replacement kit.

let me know if there's anything further i could help with, if you don't get a quick response here, feel free to call me at the shop and ask for vince, or shoot me an email at [email protected]
and ill be able to help you out, or at least point you in the right direction.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.