Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have some top secret spy photos of an HI Volume oil pump for the RZR ... which will soon be available from one of the supporting vendors here on the forum ...

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,862 Posts
Looks like a very nice custom piece. awesome job on it.

Couple of questions
1) Why is a high volume pump needed when a Holtz high pressure relief valve can up the pressure to 60# psi and maintain it at prolonged high rpm? If the volume fell off on the stock pump, the pressure would drop or at least fibrillate on the gauge.
2) It is not uncommon for other modified high rpm motors with a high volume pump to suck the sump dry at extended prolonged high rpm usage. Will a larger sump be needed in this application? Or a higher oil level recommended ? How much more volume does this pump put out ?

·
xc racer
1,562 Posts

Couple of questions
1) Why is a high volume pump needed when a Holtz high pressure relief valve can up the pressure to 60# psi and maintain it at prolonged high rpm? If the volume fell off on the stock pump, the pressure would drop or at least fibrillate on the gauge.
2) It is not uncommon for other modified high rpm motors with a high volume pump to suck the sump dry at extended prolonged high rpm usage. Will a larger sump be needed in this application? Or a higher oil level recommended ? How much more volume does this pump put out ?
I'm one of the guys who has gotten away from high volume pumps in most scenarios. But knowing what vendor this is from & what other products they offer I am interested in hearing more. I can see in some cases where this might be good.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dont kill the messenger ...

you will have to get all that questions answered from the manufacture! Which is not me!!

I think it is mainly for anyone running a turbo with a stroker crank ... so at ideal after a hard run ... you dont kill the main bearing .... but dont quote me!!!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
high volume pumps give you more oil at same pressure, less horsepower lost,cooler parts better protection against things seizing. People have been making this mistake for years and going high p. instead of v. in hot rodding small block chevys give up 20 + h.p. and the high volume ones give better results,will probably see a gain in pressure at low rpms as high v. will keep oil flowing, but same pressure or just slightly more at high r.p.ms

·
Premium Member
41,512 Posts

Couple of questions
1) I'd buy one because I like to try out the new parts available to us from the mfg's... The Holz PRV does everything needed to keep a constant 55-65 psi oil pressure...

2) I don't have any of the specs... Maybe Chris will chime in...

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I stole the pictures from them (he e-mailed the to me by accident) ...and thats all I can say ..... without getting by 00 licence revoked!

I was told he was going to post the info on it Friday ...

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
fluid not compressable,higher pressure = a little more oil flow @ high r.p.m.not much extra down low @ the cost of a lot of h.p. loose (diminising returns) . However oil starvation at high volume can happen if drainback passages overwhelmed, however if /when you turn pressure up with stock pump you also get more volume (remember not commpressable) just not at low R.P.M.S so you might have inadaquiet oiling or oil avalable when you first "hit it" from idle

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,862 Posts
dont kill the messenger ...

you will have to get all that questions answered from the manufacture! Which is not me!!

I think it is mainly for anyone running a turbo with a stroker crank... so at ideal after a hard run ... you dont kill the main bearing .... but dont quote me!!!
Ahh, that makes perfect sense and is exactly what a HV pump will do. Increase oil pressure/volume/delivery at low/idle rpm. Which is not usually needed for most applications. But with a turbo that overheats oil and bleeds off already low idle oil pressure, and a oil hungry stroker crank to protect, probably a very very good idea.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
more oil means longer intervals between oil changes, oils lube best in 160 to 270 F synth tic oil does better down low and goes up to about 300 to 400 before burning ,so put an oil temp gauge on jt. if its staying below 300 just change oil frequintly 10 hrs. to be super safe can really go 20, you can also send oil for testing to see whats being left from your motor .life left in oil etc. P.S. google ACCUSUMP to throw wrench in this conversation as almost all racers now youse for protection against lube related failures

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
having more oil capacity wont cure oil starvation problems they stem from lack of oil drain back if you can pump 2 qts out of oil sump youll suck 4 qts dry also as its basically gravity drain back youll just pump valve cover to overflowing by adding more capacity unless you get oil back into pan/sump faster

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.