Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my new '10 RZR S today and she is a beaut. Immediately when getting it home I noticed that the steering wheel is misaligned. When the wheels are pointing strait ahead, the steering wheel is pointing at 3-o-clock. Some drone just put something together wrong.

If this were a car, I'd do equal turns on the steering tie rods until the the steering wheel was aligned. Is there an easier method on the RZR? It seems as thought the center of the steering wheel has a cap on it. Does this come off revealing a nut or something that I can take off the entire steering wheel and align it?

Normally I'd just go ahead and mess with it. But since it is brand new, I though I'd ask first so that I do not break it the first day. And, I really don't want to take it back to the dealer to fix. That is a 2 hour round trip.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have 2010 s and mine was crooked when new. Turn the wheel lock to lock to see both endpoints are similar but opposite. If not your wheel was installed uncorrectly. Remove the cap and back off the nut but dont remove. Then pull wheel like hell while rocking it back and forth to loosen then remove nut and wheel. Reindex and reinstall. My friends was also crooked on his new s as well.

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
some are really hard to take off.
it might be easier to adjust the tie rods. sometimes the toe out needs adjusted anyways.
check the free downloads in my signature for instructions.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
some are really hard to take off.
it might be easier to adjust the tie rods. sometimes the toe out needs adjusted anyways.
check the free downloads in my signature for instructions.
Cliff...Might you be able to secure the '11 manuals for download at some point :question:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Holy moly, I wouldn't have guessed that this may people would have the same problem on a new unit. Somebody at the factory must need some glasses. I DLed the workshop manual. Thanks! How difficult are we talking to get the wheel to "break loose'?

crooked here too. my fix was to install a new steering wheel and adapter :)
Does this mean that you wanted an aftermarket wheel and put it on instead of fixing the oem wheel? Or, does this mean that your oem wheel was unfixable and you had to put on a different wheel?

PS. anybody have an issue with FireFox reporting this site as a "Reported Attack Page"? I had to use an IE tab to even post this.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Set the steering wheel in the center/straight position. Turn left all the way to lock and count turns. Go back to center and do the same thing for the right. It should match. If not remove cover on center of wheel and pull the wheel off and rotate it one tooth at a time to what ever side had less turns when you counted. Push it back on and redo the center to lock in both directions till its the same. I thought I heard the 2010 wheel comes right off unlike 08 and 09. Once the wheel is straight with even turns to end in both directions then work on alignment at the tie rods.

Hope that helps some. I'm not so good at typing out directions

·
Registered
230 Posts
Mine was crooked as well. Born date of 6-1-2010. I simply removed the wheel and reinstalled. Nothing to it. :hat1:

·
Registered
689 Posts
I have yet to see one that wasn't crooked from the factory...who the hell assembles these things???

·
Registered
446 Posts
My 2010 is over 1/4 turn from being straight and was that way since day 1. I guess the steering wheel guy goes home laughing every night because he just put on 50 crooked steering wheels that day!

·
Registered
572 Posts
My 2010 is over 1/4 turn from being straight and was that way since day 1. I guess the steering wheel guy goes home laughing every night because he just put on 50 crooked steering wheels that day!
This is the only ting that make since as mine was not straight when I got my
2010. :rofl3:

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,772 Posts
Mine was straight to start. After the suspension settled in after the first few miles, the wheel was not centered any longer.

Did an alignment and got it back in the center. Mines at 1/8" toe out now.

·
Registered
871 Posts
The steering wheel on my '10 is crooked too. But it rolls straight, even with the inch of toe out from the factory.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Holy moly, I wouldn't have guessed that this may people would have the same problem on a new unit. Somebody at the factory must need some glasses. I DLed the workshop manual. Thanks! How difficult are we talking to get the wheel to "break loose'?

Does this mean that you wanted an aftermarket wheel and put it on instead of fixing the oem wheel? Or, does this mean that your oem wheel was unfixable and you had to put on a different wheel?

PS. anybody have an issue with FireFox reporting this site as a "Reported Attack Page"? I had to use an IE tab to even post this.
depends who is asking lol. if it is the wife, the original wheel had to be replaced. anyone else, i just wanted a new wheel

·
◄►STARS & STRIPES◄►
3,832 Posts

Mine too was off, Decided to just upgrade...Also bought the Power steeering (do to injuries) to do it all at once. My stock wheel was a NIGHTMARE to remove, I tried the "ratchet strap" idea, "bolt puller", "clamps" "hammers" Finally had to remove the whole column (just under dash @ first joint) then had to use an air hammer tool to force the wheel off the bar...Then not knowing I had accidentally damaged the threading I had to go get a new size die (Tap & die) to fix the threads, now mine is a standard...It was impressive, the grab that thing had! Just a warning, it is new and by the time I got down to the bottom of the list ideas, my stock wheel was REALLY banged up! If you can adjust the tie rods just do that, The good thing about most aftermarket wheels is the "adapter" they have several hex nuts and if you find that its off, you can just pull off the wheel and make 20 degree changes in any direction.. Otherwise you can just disconnect the first joint and make your adjustment there. I hope this helps and prevents you some major headache and frustration.

#2 there was an earlier thread about the warning...some google thing??

·
Knucklehead
502 Posts
Add me to the list lol, with all the other stuff I am doing and want to do. It's near the bottom of my list of priorities, one day I'll fix it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts