Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been beat to death and I have searched on here and Google all day for my answer but cant find what Im looking for. I live in the south so mud and water is how we roll. I want to be able to dunk it and not worry about the stupid airbox. I am gonna snorkel it but from what I have read that does not completely cure the problem. I dont want one of the canisters in the bed cause that will get in the way of things I haul around. Not to sure of running a snorkel off the intake and putting a reuseable filter on top either. Mainly because of the noise and splashing water getting sucked up. Is there any good aftermarket canisters that will work for this? I heard the UMP is NOT watertight and then I looked at the Dragon Fire sealed one but can only see pics of it straight on so cant really tell much about it. Need some feedback on this. I dont want my $13K dollar investment trashed out because of a $500 dollar part could have been installed and prevented all this. Its not the money Im worried about its the peace of mind. I want to put it back there and forget about it......sans maintenance.

·
Geezer with Joey
519 Posts
I'm going to send you to someone else. [email protected] Is the guy at the company that builds the Firefox cannister. Nice guy and knows his product. Ask him!
I've used one for some time, like the big air flow and filter, have needed assistance, but I can't tell you anything else.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sent him an email. Anybody got any real world experience? Not saying that the fellow mentioned in the above ad doesnt.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Glen, not sure what you want to hear. But the DragonFire sealed unit works great. The Ump can be sealed cheaper

...yada, yada,yada
Granted probably to much info available using the search feature here, but the info is out there. Just have to decipher the real world and opinionated one apart.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Sent him an email. Anybody got any real world experience? Not saying that the fellow mentioned in the above ad doesnt.
Dragonfire (BTI) sealed and snorkel it. Chris with BTI knows his product and gives great customer service. Mine's semi sealed because dust not water is the issue here. Ain't an ad just an owner.

Eli

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right on guys! Thanks for the pic. What kinda cap is that on the UMP one? Looks pretty dang good. Im all about cheaper if it works. Is the "factory" UMP cap still under the rubber thingy? Here is the problem. I got my RZR last Friday and just road it in the pasture for the weekend. Left for work on Tuesday and have been doing nothing since but searching on here for stuff. Im all skeered now. Motor mounts breaking, tranny problems, airbox, needing frame stiffners. All kinda crap....ok Im done.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I know but at work I really do nothing but play on the net. Funny how that was located in the hydroponic section........LMAO! $8.45....sounds like a plan and FORGET the stupid airbox problem.

·
◄►STARS & STRIPES◄►
3,832 Posts
Just did this last thread, this is what I use, Mud industries Snorkel kit $150, DFR snorkel airbox $500, and outerwear prefilters...

:beatdeadhorse: LOL you said it! but really, this is all the protection you would need! If something gets past this...Its meant to be!

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
Right on guys! Thanks for the pic. What kinda cap is that on the UMP one? Looks pretty dang good. Im all about cheaper if it works. Is the "factory" UMP cap still under the rubber thingy? Here is the problem. I got my RZR last Friday and just road it in the pasture for the weekend. Left for work on Tuesday and have been doing nothing since but searching on here for stuff. Im all skeered now. Motor mounts breaking, tranny problems, airbox, needing frame stiffners. All kinda crap....ok Im done.
I like the larger Donaldson filter in the Dragonfire BTI and I wouldn't want to reseal the cap each time I serviced the filter which in my case is a lot......

The sealed cap would be worth the extra money to me if I saw water.

Eli

·
◄►STARS & STRIPES◄►
3,832 Posts
I like the larger Donaldson filter in the Dragonfire BTI and I wouldn't want to reseal the cap each time I serviced the filter which in my case is a lot......

The sealed cap would be worth the extra money to me if I saw water.

Eli
ok ok slow down take a breath, no need to be skeered, what you need depends on what your doing, If you plan on swimming then start with your snorkel kit, You can even mount it to the stock airbox, add outwears and seal the stock box with silicone and you got that issue out of the way.. You dont need chassis Bones right away, less your plannin some severe ridin/ I dont have mine and Ive been tearing the crap out of it.. Now that Im slowly getting more extreme, Ill start by reenforcing and safety, I already got the DFR 4 points, now time for the cage...Take it slowly, These things are tougher than you think! Its not going to fail you.. These are all issues that members have brought up to help out others and trouble shoot issues/apply fixes.. If we all had the money to fix these RAZRs the way we wanted them from the time we bought them we probably would all be rolling in 35+ thousand dollar toys!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I dont think Im gonna mess with the factory box. I have had some past history with water and ATV's. Brand new Brute 750 (well 16 hours on it) and water in the motor. That will NOT happen again. I do like the BTI box better as to not have to fool with O-rings and a rubber cap. I just didnt know how actually waterproof the BTI one was. Decided to go with the Mud Ind. snorkel kit already. Already been eyeballing some 29.5 Outlaws as they seem to find there way onto everything I have ever had.....even though I said I would NOT put them on the RZR...LOL!

·
◄►STARS & STRIPES◄►
3,832 Posts
Well I dont think Im gonna mess with the factory box. I have had some past history with water and ATV's. Brand new Brute 750 (well 16 hours on it) and water in the motor. That will NOT happen again. I do like the BTI box better as to not have to fool with O-rings and a rubber cap. I just didnt know how actually waterproof the BTI one was. Decided to go with the Mud Ind. snorkel kit already. Already been eyeballing some 29.5 Outlaws as they seem to find there way onto everything I have ever had.....even though I said I would NOT put them on the RZR...LOL!
Good box, good Snorkel, Youll be happy, Whats wrong with adding the outlaws? you just need to adjust the clutch (another kit), lift it 2" and probably get by fine with 1.5" spacers (depending on the offset of your wheels).. Enjoy and good luck!!:ride:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nothing wrong with the Outlaws just they like to eat axles, at least they did on my Arctic Cat. Just got an email back from Chris at BTI at 11:30 at night. That speaks alot for his service. I should just be able to slap the 29.5's on mine cause I got the RZR S.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well I thought I had a BTI bought on Ebay but the guy is a FLAKE! Its on here in the "I found a good deal section". I called him and we agreed on a price. Today I call him back to set up payment. He didnt answer so I just sent him an email on Ebay. He sent me back and said he had no idea who I was and that he had never talked to me on the phone. Anyhow, screw all that. Looking more at the UMP with the rubber cap due to price and other things I want for it. Have you guys with the rubber capped UMP's had them completly submerged?

·
◄►STARS & STRIPES◄►
3,832 Posts
well I thought I had a BTI bought on Ebay but the guy is a FLAKE! Its on here in the "I found a good deal section". I called him and we agreed on a price. Today I call him back to set up payment. He didnt answer so I just sent him an email on Ebay. He sent me back and said he had no idea who I was and that he had never talked to me on the phone. Anyhow, screw all that. Looking more at the UMP with the rubber cap due to price and other things I want for it. Have you guys with the rubber capped UMP's had them completly submerged?
WOW, sounds like he just wants the auction to run out! BUT dont give up HOPE...The huy I got the DFR snorkel box..I offered him $275 + Shipping and he said...NO i want to wait, Ill get more than that at auction.... I sniped it with 10 secs left got it for $250....HIS LOSS, he played the game and I bet it felt great when he saw my name and he got less money!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well Im all into the sniping. I got it down to an art! Problem is I work 7 days on/7 days off and Im gonna be going on days off on Tuesday morning. I really wanna get this done while Im off work. Im too impatient! I want stuff yesterday and when a man says he is gonna do something I fully expect him to do it. Im still wondering about the PVC cap on the UMP. I mean that sure would be alot cheaper and IMO looks better than the DF box.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Well Im all into the sniping. I got it down to an art! Problem is I work 7 days on/7 days off and Im gonna be going on days off on Tuesday morning. I really wanna get this done while Im off work. Im too impatient! I want stuff yesterday and when a man says he is gonna do something I fully expect him to do it. Im still wondering about the PVC cap on the UMP. I mean that sure would be alot cheaper and IMO looks better than the DF box.
It's rubber not PVC and from what I hear on here it's been used on a UMP and submerged and it works.

·
◄►STARS & STRIPES◄►
3,832 Posts
Both boxes are outstanding... It really boils down to personal preferance! DFR UMP, UMP, DFR...ehhh, I like them both.. Its one of the rare upgrades that me and a buddy who has the UMP (me having the DFR) dont argue about why the other should have bough the one they own?? Both GREAT!!

Also its really a product thats finally, Apples to Apples.... and they taste the same.. Just one cost more and is a red apple?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah I understand that the cap is not rubber. Its just a cap that made for PVC use. The OD of 6" PVC is 6.625 according to my Google search. The UMP is 6" OD. That is 5/8" to make up with the squeezing of a hose clamp.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts