Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have an OHV registered in another state be prepared that Utah is doing away with their reciprocity for registration. You’re going to need to follow some new rules which include buying a new non-resident permit that’s good for one year.

Please share for those from out of state coming to recreate in Utah.

https://le.utah.gov/~2019/bills/static/HB0105.html

·
Registered
203 Posts
If I read this right there is still reciprocity with other states for license plates for being street legal but if you want to ride to ride off road you are going to have to buy a annual $30 sticker. This will take effect in 2020 so my Moab trip this year won’t be impacted.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I buy the $30 sticker every year even though I have reciprocity. I do this to support the riding areas. The $30 is a pretty small piece of what I spend getting to and staying in Moab. If 30 bucks stops you from going to Moab then you probably can't afford it anyway. What is going to stop me is the huge price increases at the campgrounds and motels in the last couple of years. Archview campgrounds is a perfect example.
Dwight

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
4,272 Posts
I buy the $30 sticker every year even though I have reciprocity. I do this to support the riding areas. The $30 is a pretty small piece of what I spend getting to and staying in Moab. If 30 bucks stops you from going to Moab then you probably can't afford it anyway. What is going to stop me is the huge price increases at the campgrounds and motels in the last couple of years. Archview campgrounds is a perfect example.
Dwight
Principle of the matter.... governments waste so much money irresponsibly, then pass crap like this to make up for it.

I have no problem paying $30 to support the riding area, I'd do that voluntarily

·
Registered
203 Posts
I agree with Dwight. $30 is about 1% of what I spend to go to Moab. My main concern is the precedent of non reciprocity with other states. I ride in a four state area and all have reciprocity with each other for OHV permits. The cost of a permit isn’t the issue, it is “what’s next?” That bothers me. Not recognizing street legal plates? This won’t stop me from going to Moab once a year. So when I see the Utah riders riding the Oregon dunes without an Oregon OHV sticker maybe I should ask them why they aren’t supporting my states OHV program . By the way Oregon is $10.50 for a 2 year permit good from the month you purchase it. I am glad to see people from out of state riding here. They are doing their part supporting the local economy thru meals, fuel, camping, hotels etc. It is just another short sighted politician making a grab for money from out of staters. Hopefully the bill doesn’t pass but if it does then it will be one of the few detractors from an awesome experience in Moab.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Idaho has passed a bill, I believe it was completed, everyone will have to buy an ATV permit, $12 a year. We live in Washington but here there is very little trail system in the SE part of the state. We have been licensing in both states for the last seven years.
We do most of our riding in Idaho due to the miles of trails and roads available to the sport. There are many more miles of trails for the size of the state than in most states.
As I understand Montana has reciprocity with Idaho but not Washington, kinda screwy. My step son works for the Fed FS, he tells us around Libby you can't get off the road in the USFS lands but you are free to ride the roads!?????

The interesting thing is that when you question the land managers why, they all start pointing fingers at someone else, it's because of somebody else, no responsibility.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I always thought it was just the registration the was reciprocating, and you still had to buy a land use permit anyway? Otherwise you had to pay out of state registration fee, AND a land use permit? That's the way quite a few other states are, 2 fees if out of state.

·
Can never have 2 much FUN
207 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I too don't mind paying a land use fee as long as the funds are used for their intended purpose. What bothers me is that they keep coming back to the motorized user for more when there is the untapped resources of mountain bikes. Just saying.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
4,272 Posts
Lame! Moab keeps getting more expensive for me :sad
That bill does not take effect until January 2020.
I am aware

I too don't mind paying a land use fee as long as the funds are used for their intended purpose. What bothers me is that they keep coming back to the motorized user for more when there is the untapped resources of mountain bikes. Just saying.
You're just trying to get me hit twice now aren't ya?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nope, I love everyone. Just feel singled out. I'm just an old fart that enjoys my sxs, atv, dirt bike and my pedal assist E bike. (great cardio, less knee joint stress) Have just gotten annoyed over the years as my recreational opportunities shrink and I am ask to give more. Then, to top it off, I'm riding on a designated motorized single track with my current OHV sticker and I get the stink eye or cursed at from the pedal head and horsey rider. I'm just trying to get down with the current theme of everyone having to "pay their fair share". You are so right on principle & waste!
jmtcw.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
4,272 Posts
Nope, I love everyone. Just feel singled out. I'm just an old fart that enjoys my sxs, atv, dirt bike and my pedal assist E bike. (great cardio, less knee joint stress) Have just gotten annoyed over the years as my recreational opportunities shrink and I am ask to give more. Then, to top it off, I'm riding on a designated motorized single track with my current OHV sticker and I get the stink eye or cursed at from the pedal head and horsey rider. I'm just trying to get down with the current theme of everyone having to "pay their fair share". You are so right on principle & waste!
jmtcw.
lol, I agree, (well sort of, I really think that we shouldn't have to pay anything...seeing as I pay taxes and all to begin with, and it's public land... back to that waste thing..) was just givin ya hell. It's drives me nuts that we get that stink eye... you can ride a pedal bike damn near anywhere, yet we stick to desgnated trails for motorized travel and get looked at like we're the most evil on the earth

·
Registered
138 Posts
If the money goes towards the trails, I'm all about it.

$25.50 a year for Colorado - Money goes directly to trails and maintenance
$15 year for Wyoming
$30 year for Utah.

I happily pay those, and I enjoy the trail systems in those states.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
4,272 Posts
If the money goes towards the trails, I'm all about it.

$25.50 a year for Colorado - Money goes directly to trails and maintenance
$15 year for Wyoming
$30 year for Utah.

I happily pay those, and I enjoy the trail systems in those states.
that's a big IF when government is involved

·
Registered
73 Posts
We in the upper Midwest have to buy a trail pass to whenever we go to a neighbor state, so that is not something new. I live in MN and to ride WI or the Dakotas we have to purchase trail passes, and as others have pointed out I don't mind doing so, and I am just HOPEING the funds go to trail upkeep!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts