Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last two trips.. my high mileage 11k 800 has developed a pretty rough noise coming from the primary or secondary clutches under compression. No other changes felt, operates the same as always...not slipping or grabbing. But getting a pronounced dry rattle noise sometimes in slowing conditions which I can always make stop with a little throttle.

I think my set up is one with Rapid Reaction Secondary. The only reason I say this is I bought a fancy tool to release the clutch sheeves easier for belt removal and this secondary does not have any opening on the outside face to use that tool. I will have both clutches off tomorrow for inspection. I hope it is obvious. This is a new noise not heard in the 3000 miles of ownership before.

Replace with EBS I assume. Better information tomorrow if it doesnt rain me out.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Sounds like buttons are wearing out in primary clutch. You can rebuild it if you are up to it. Take clutch cover off to watch and inspect and make sure it's coming from the clutch. Well if you got 3k miles on the clutch plus however many the previous owner got I'd say that's pretty good lol.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On that note. Can I get the "towers" piece.?? (where the buttons slide) not sure the real name of this. I see it is not available from Polaris. Sheeves are good, everything looks rebuildable if I can replace this.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
You are probably referring to this part?
Jaw Ear Art Font Circle

I would say not recommended, since the clutch is balanced after assembly.
Changing a part of assembly would throw it out of balance.

Reactions: Darth RZR

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Agree. If slides are all wore out you have to buy entire clutch. They aren't cheap I know. My buddy bought a cheapo 300 dollar Ebay primary and it works perfect. Atleast you got 3k miles out of it since you bought it. When I got mine had to replace primary before the first ride. Previous owner had super glued and epoxied it together. Must have blown it up. I went with polaris primary. The EBS primarys are available but I've heard you should also replace helix in secondary for it to work right. Not sure though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dart RZR or Anyone. Can I use a 800 S clutch on this trail 800? I am assuming I would have to change the spring and the weights to close to what I had before in stock clutch. Read somewhere the S was wider.. but can't seem to nail this down.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dart RZR or Anyone. Can I use a 800 S clutch on this trail 800? I am assuming I would have to change the spring and the weights to close to what I had before in stock clutch. Read somewhere the S was wider.. but can't seem to nail this down.
Guess I answered that myself. Same part number at least in 2011

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Reactions: Darth RZR

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok here is a new one. Most everywhere I look it shows 08 and 09 and then 10 and up as the two options. I have read that Todd from HunterWorks advises buying a oem 08 because of the better bearing and then change the weights and spring for your year. I know these part numbers are different but seem to work in all years anyway. very confusing

·
Registered
372 Posts
Ok here is a new one. Most everywhere I look it shows 08 and 09 and then 10 and up as the two options. I have read that Todd from HunterWorks advises buying a oem 08 because of the better bearing and then change the weights and spring for your year. I know these part numbers are different but seem to work in all years anyway. very confusing
You can interchange any year 800 primary or secondary. I had a 14 800 4 and installed an 08 primary and 08 secondary no problem. I would recommend matching years as some of the internals changed (springs, flyweight profiles, helix's, etc.) I used the BMP flyweights so I could tune it. I used the Polaris black primary spring and the stock 08 red secondary spring and a custom helix from Venom.

If you are interested in the "better" bearing here is a thread I started a few years ago with a picture and description of both bearings: Clutch Bearing Questions

1 - 13 of 13 Posts