Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2013 RZR 900 XP Turbo
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I’m just at a total loss here! I have a 2018 Turbo S with 700 miles on it (1 year out of warranty). This is my second turbo RZR and been riding all my life.

A week ago I was out riding just farting around on some small dunes by my house and the machine threw out a check engine light with code 1127 (turbo overboost). I noticed the machine was missing some top end power too. I immediately took it home!

While trying to figure it out I noticed it was smoking a bit more and the exhaust smelled of oil. At that point I knew it was beyond my expertise so I took it to the Polaris dealer.

With the oil in the exhaust they immediately assumed a piston ring, or valve guide. Then they noticed a knock in the engine. Well they finally ended up getting the entire motor ripped apart and the news couldn’t be worse.

It looks like a rod bearing failed, (at 700 miles). On top of that the service manager said some sort of strainer failed “disintegrated” as he put it, which allowed contaminated oil to flow through the entire system!

At this point they want to do a completely new motor, and turbo! About $10 grand! The dealer is filing a claim with Polaris to try and get the parts “Good Willed”? But I’m not holding my breath!

For the record all maintenance was done on the machine, and the dealer is saying this is 100% Polaris’ fault... but it’s out of warranty.

Does anyone have any experience with getting Polaris to “Good will” an entire new motor and turbo? 1 year out of warranty?

If they don’t cover it, what are your recommendations?

thanks!

·
Registered
118 Posts
mine did the same thing it was the turbo the exhaust on the turbo cracked around the waste gate replaced the complete turbo ran great pull the cover off the exhaust side see if manifold cracked

·
2013 RZR 900 XP Turbo
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: Just got word from the dealer. Motor and turbo are toast!. They are still working with Polaris to try and get them to good-will a new motor and turbo. They had me call Polaris to plead my case as well. Polaris said that so far the dealership has "failed to provide a specific defect that led to the failure." My response was: "Are rod bearings designed to fail at 700 miles!?" They want to know specifically what caused the failure! Polaris said it would likely be caused by "oil starvation." Which is BS because it has had every scheduled (2 in 700 miles) service, and clearly had oil in it when I took it to the dealer.

The only thing the dealership has specifically been able to point out is that the strainer on the oil pickup line out of the oil pan had fallen off and was laying inside the oil pan when they took it apart. Could that have caused a bearing failure? At the very least that shows the bike wasn't properly assembled! Also, you would think that the strainer would have helped minimize the damage caused by the bearing failure. correct?

Anyway. Keep me in your prayers!

·
2013 RZR 900 XP Turbo
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not. And they already ruled out the possibility of the motor being “dusted”. The intake was clean as a whistle. I’m still waiting to hear from Polaris if they’ll pay for a new motor and turbo.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Suspect there is much more to the story then we are being told. Polaris has been very good on this kind of stuff. Sounds more of a dealer not doing a good job or some major issue or mod to the machine we are not aware of. Playing submarine or some such thing.

·
2013 RZR 900 XP Turbo
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why? ....What did they say was the issue or reason for denying the claim ???
[/

I argued with them about the oil screen failing and metal going through my entire motor and turbo but they don’t seem to care, they claimed that the dealer was unable to show (besides the bearing failing at 700 miles! ) that there was any”clear cut defect in the manufacturing.” I’m having the dealer box everything up and I’m taking it to a local UTV Performance shop to be rebuilt. It’s that or pay 7 grand for a whole new motor and 1700 for a turbo. This will be the last Polaris I ever own! 2018, 700 miles, toast!

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
The dealer is at fault here. Take the engine to another dealer and see if they can help. Or get hold of Frank and see if he can help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts