Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to take some pictures and do a little build log on my new Zbros LT kit. I will start putting it together Monday.

I bought the 4.5" arms with X1 shocks. I have a question regarding the anti sway bars I plan to take them both off I am not sure either will work with the new LT kit anyway. I did not read anything about the sway bars in the instructions. If I remove them with the new kit how will it affect the cornering?

Thanks Mike

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got it all finished up Yesterday it looks great. I have not had a chance to go test it yet maybe Sunday if it is not raining too bad if not the next weekend weather permitting. I have some pictures of the install I will post later all in all it was fairly easy I did run into a few snags but nothing we did not over come.

Mike

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry it took so long to post these pictures but they did not come out that great so I wasn't going to post them but I decided to anyway.

Here is the kit layed out on a table.

This is a picture of the stock width before installing anything.

This is after the new LT kit keep in mind the first picture is with my sand tires and 2" offset wheels and this picture is with my stock steel wheels and tires. I did not want to run the sand tires down the street for a test ride. With the new LT kit I measure 58" wide with the stock steel wheels.

This is a picture with the rear suspension removed.

Front suspension removed you have to remove the front plastic to get the arm pivot bolts out. While I had it apart this far I removed my front sway bar completely. You have to take out a few bolts that hold the radiator mount in place it is very easy if you plan to remove the front sway bar to do it at this time. The front plastic would have come completely off but the aftermarket offroad lights wiring was ran through the grill and I just let it hang from the wire.

This is a close up of the front suspension installed. I did have an issue with the tie rod width and made a 1/2" spacer on my lathe the link provided to lengthen the tie rod was short and when adjusting the toe in/out there was not enough threads in the tie rod end. A couple days ago I recieved some nuts to put on the threads to space them out but I had already made the bushings.

I ran into one other snag and that was the driver side front arm would not allow the shock bolt bushing to fit it was too small. The problem was probably due to some heavy powder coating in that area or the spacing was a little off when the arm was welded. For me the easiest fix was to face off the bushing in the lathe I removed about .030" off the face and it fit just right. If you don't own a lathe and run into this problems you will need to try and chip or grind off a little powder coating on the arm where the bushing fits. The other arms fit fine.

All in all the install went pretty good and everything fit. I am going to test it in the dirt today and I will give my opinion on the ride after using it.

For me the small issues I had were not a problem but I wanted to give an honest report. The over all fit and finish of this kit is really good and I would based on the install buy it again the ride will tell the rest. I also found Zbros friendly and helpful on the phone.

Mike

·
Vendor
969 Posts
Great review mike! The pics turned out perfect I think. Sorry bout the excess powdercoat, that is something we have been made aware of in the past and recent arms as well as future arms won't have that issue. Can't wait to hear how you like the ride!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ride was much better but I need to go back to the sand to get a real comparison. The first ride had it pushing real bad in the corners so we checked the tire pressure and they were really low about 5 pounds. I inflated the tires up to about 10 pounds and it was much better. I removed both sway bars so I have to get used to that. Today’s ride was on hard packed gravel roads with some pot holes not a real good test especially since I had them set it up for sand. We adjusted the shock setting and played a little with tire pressure and it really made a big difference. We ran out of time before I could do some more tweaking the adjustments but I will do some more in a week or so.

I have not run this thing much in the dirt so it will be better to ride it in the sand to compare. The off-road park near my house is setup for motorcycles and quads and is too narrow for my RZR so we ran on the gravel logging roads around the park. They have a lot of narrow bridges that I just won't fit on and the trails are all one way so I can't turn around and go back without causing a safety hazard.

I lost all the tippy feeling I used to have with the standard suspension you could still roll it plenty easy but nothing like before.

The off-road park near my house is supposed to add 60 more miles of trails that will fit UTV's and Jeeps. I heard they are supposed to start next year we will see I hope they do. The park is in a great place and it is all free they have some really neat trails for quads I really wish I could fit but even when the RZR was standard width it did not fit on any of the trails very good. There is one rugged step trail I can ride if I can make it past some barriers they put in I think I can make it through but we ran out time before I could try.

I have a couple questions.

When I adjust the shock valve clockwise will that stiffen up the ride?

What tire pressure should I run with the stock tires in hard packed ground?

Thanks Mike

·
Vendor
969 Posts
Again, good post! Sounds like your willing to take the time and play with the adjustments to get them dialed in perfect. Tire pressure is something that varies from person to person but like to run 10-12psi in the hard pack. Turning the compression adjuster clockwise will indeed slow the rate at which the shock compresses giving it a stiffer ride. Good luck and keep up the good work!

·
Registered
24 Posts
just ordered a rzr ZBROZ Racing tie rod upgrade kit and cant wait till it gets here !!!
i was lil confused bc it said C brackets = the heim joint clevis? idk thanks for any imput!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts