Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to try to do something to cut down on the amount of heat that comes into the bed. I tools some duct insulation and put it on the bottom of the bed. The insulation has a sticky back and I used some 3m contact spray as well. I will try it out this weekend and see how it does.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hope it works. I have melted a cooler on the passenger side over the exhaust. I wrapped the headers but have not had an opportunity to test it yet. It doesn't matter what speeds I run, it gets damned hot.

·
Registered
185 Posts
That first photo is a little hard to understand.

I assume you took off the bed and flipped it upside down, then put it back into roughly the same spot on the RZR.

I took several photos of my 2011 RZR4 when I make my cheapo Heat Shield. Do you care if I post the photos in here?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nightmare, that first photo is the bed upside down. You can use themis you like . Will take a few more this weekend when I run it. Will let you all know howit goes.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I know my bed can get pretty warm, but not hot enough to melt a cooler! I have a 2011 as well, I wonder why the difference. Hearing that scares me a little because I usually put a plastic gas can on that side of the bed on long rides...

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I know my bed can get pretty warm, but not hot enough to melt a cooler! I have a 2011 as well, I wonder why the difference. Hearing that scares me a little because I usually put a plastic gas can on that side of the bed on long rides...
I just set my can on a peice of 3/8 plywood.

·
Registered
757 Posts
If that insulation stays on that would be quiet a bit simpler than my solution but if it don't work out. here is how I solved my heat problem. I've had it on since September I've been though a lot of mud and a lot of pressure washing since then and I had it off a few days ago and it seems to be holding up quiet well

http://www.rzrforums.net/rzr-s-specific-discussion/59645-heat-problem-cargo-bed-conquered.html

BTW: don't know what type of trails you ride (high speed or more rock crawler type) I've found that if I stay in low gear it keeps the clutches engaged when your off the throttle therefore keeping the air moving and blowing out a lot of that heat Don't know for sure but I think that is part of our heat problem

Hope That Helps

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I got an RV vent cover...same material and stuck it to the bottom of my cooler. It does help but it still goes to water pretty quick.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My rzr4 bed got extremely hot. Hot enough that it started melting my lock n ride cargo box. I bought the heat shield from UTV.com for $134 and it works like a charm. Problem solved.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
My rzr4 bed got extremely hot. Hot enough that it started melting my lock n ride cargo box. I bought the heat shield from UTV.com for $134 and it works like a charm. Problem solved.
I've got the same thing WITHOUT the logo, under $10. Works great. No more oven in the bed. Just cold beers. :beer:

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've got the same thing WITHOUT the logo, under $10. Works great. No more oven in the bed. Just cold beers. :beer:
Care to share yours chipper? Under $10 sounds great. Mine hasn't melted anything but it gets crazy hot. I don't like touching the bed...

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Care to share yours chipper? Under $10 sounds great. Mine hasn't melted anything but it gets crazy hot. I don't like touching the bed...
I actually made this in HVAC class one day being bored. It's just thin duct work, you can pick up a small piece at lowes under $10. The X bent into it just keeps it a little stiffer. I used tin snips to shape it up a little. It did great and no heat was in my box.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ran mine today and the bed was a lot cooler. I could touch the bed and it was a lot cooler that the area under the bed. I works out well for me and seem to stay on well. After a few rides we will see how it holds up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts