Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody bought these shocks. I did, and have had nothing but problems with the front. They have NO rebound dampening on them, no matter what I adjust. On total extension of shocks there is no rebound so it make a loud clucking noise, Sounds like the front end of the RZR is going to completely rip apart. Sent them back to Fox for warranty and they said they were perfectly fine. Had PEP take a look at them and he said its a major design flaw, PEP is actually plugging up some of the holes on the bypass part of them. also said they have the largest Shims in there possible to over come all the holes in the bypass. Hoping for a good out come. Has anybody else had this problem.
Wish I could post a Video
Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
I thought that the Fox RC2 was not an internal bypass shock.

Chris
The orange lettering on the reservoir matches up with the IB variation of the RC2

·
Registered
748 Posts
Are the springs colored different or that just the pics? A friend got the new shocks like you have and I have the regular rc2 gold body design. Mine are way better than his and he says his are stiff. From what I was told from the fox rep, the black body rc2 shocks are from only fast riding across the desert non stop.

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
I have had the RC2 s on for 2 years now and they work very well. My shocks have a 3 adjustments rebound included. My understanding is that all RC2s had rebound
Do you have an older set or recently purchased new? .
The only time I have had mine clank on extension is when the ride height or preload is to much

·
Denver, CO - 303-400-0205
2,120 Posts
The RC2 shock now has two variants. One is internal bypass, one is not.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have the gold body (non-IBS) and even they are made to run hard, maybe not across the desert hard, but maybe they are?? When I run at 99% they feel great. When I start to chill at 85% they are a lot more stiff than OEM Fox IBS. I am still playing with adjustment, but I dont expect them to get a whole lot better. That said, at the 99% level they are great. Just wish I raced all the time.

But to the OP, mine do not bang back out. Rebound dampening seems about right and it changes with clicks as I would expect it. I agree with your assessment that something sounds not right.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not to be mean, I don’t know your experience level, but you know where the rebound adjuster is correct?

Sent from my iPad using RZRForums.net

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
I would love to see more info on the RC2 shocks on this forum . It seems not to many have them and with Yamaha and the fact the RC2 's are a great option for the RZr it would be good to get more Fox RC info here

Can someone start a thread to this subject / RC 2 new info ....I dont understand the site good enough .

Thanks

·
Registered
748 Posts
The rc2s are much better in every way compared to the stock ones. There is so much adjustability. Just takes a little to get used to when figuring out the settings. The center adjuster with the flat head adjusts the bottoming out, like whoops. Big nut is for hard hits like not seeing a curb (just to easliy eplain it) and shock compresses super fast. Lower on shock rebound, stops the bucking and return. Lots more to it but this is an idea of how the shocks are adjusted.

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
I agree.... and I would love to hear more people's settings with these shocks ...I can say I can obtain great slow to medium speed trail settings and also very good rock crawling setup...but not the best when in high speed dune / dessert , also I have updated my RC 2.5 factory series with Shock Therapy springs in the front ....a little lighter than FOX offers in there set up ...the back spring set up work well for me and also according to Shock Therapy.
it depends on 1 or 2 passengers and warm up time ...who can add to this with experience with these shocks not traditional IBS FOX ...look forward to a new quality thread !

thank you

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
I have been running the 2.5 RC2's (non IBS) since day one on my xp1000. I run them in dunes, desert and Forrest roads. They an outstanding shock with multiple adjustments...Low Speed Compression, High Speed Compression, and Rebound. Anyone looking for specifics ask away and I'll do my best to answer from my knowledge and experience I have with them.

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
Hi Dragon XP

I would really like to know what settings you are running for your dessert / dune or both
I am not satisfied with the setting i have been using for dessert
I have a 2018 XPT 1000 with RC2.5 non IBS and my machine is about stock weight with factory wheels and tires . I weight 200 and my wife is 130. I now there are alot of variables but I would still like to hear your clicker setting please.

Thank you

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
Hi Dragon XP

I would really like to know what settings you are running for your dessert / dune or both
I am not satisfied with the setting i have been using for dessert
I have a 2018 XPT 1000 with RC2.5 non IBS and my machine is about stock weight with factory wheels and tires. I weight 200 and my wife is 130. I now there are alot of variables but I would still like to hear your clicker setting please.

Thank you
I run mine around mid point on the settings, plus/minus (High and Low speed) as I change per terrain and if I have a passenger. I log the numbers/ clicks in my phone as I change per outting. For the dunes I'll stiffen them up for G-outs and jumping. Yes they are not as smooth through the chop and slow speed terrain but not bottoming out the rear at speed.

Machine is set up slightly heavier than stock...cage, full doors, Simpson Seats (Twisted Stitch), car to car & intercom and PCI Raceair.

I can pm you my number if you want more info.

·
Registered
200 Posts
dwin - Any update on your adjustment? I just installed RC2 IBP's, and damn! Full droop at speed, it feels like somebody's hitting the top of the A arm's with a freaking sledge! I thought the front clip was going to tear off....I could see the hood rattle everytime the front end left the ground. $4,000 for these, and I'm afraid the front shocks are going to tear themselves apart! Super harsh! No way this is "normal"! I've messed with the rebound, but the bang isn't going away. Questioning my decision now. The rear seems to be fine. But that "Kaa-Thunk" in the front is bad for my nerves!

·
Registered
200 Posts
FWIW, I spoke to Fox today regarding the serverity of these shocks at top out. Turns out there is a forthcoming fix for owners who are experiencing this issue. It was explained to me that the current negative spring is riding on an aluminum guide, and it is this guide that is causing the issue when the shock goes to full extension (top out). Their engineers are in the final approval process of a new negative spring set up for the front RC2 IBP's that is going to run a beehive spring instead of a straight spring, which in turn will eliminate the aluminum negative spring guide currently used. I was told the updated negtive spring will be available in about a month. Apparently, not all users are expericing this, but it most affects those of us running larger wheel & tires. The extra weight magnifies the top out "bang", for obvious reasons.

In any event, I was greatful to learn there is an update being worked on. I was also reassured that it was fine to continue running the shocks until the upgrade is released, and that no internal damage was being done to the shock.

Except for the top out issue, these shocks were amazing in gnarly whoops last weekend. IBP's were soaking up stuff that I was curling my toes on approach, and the RZR just motored right through no sweat. I have to be careful now to not to let my suspension confidence overshadow my abilities!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a set in Phoenix at shock therapy yesterday trying to figure out what all works best. My car is a 2012 XP 4 900. We'll figure out settings as we go along

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
I have had rc2 (not ibs) fox shocks on pretty much every rzr I have owned. 900xp, 1000xp, xp turbo and now my rs1. What I have found is out of the box from fox they need help. Spring rates need tweaked, front rebound is much too fast even almost full slow, and the upper front tender needs to be 2" longer. That being said once re valved and sprung for your specific application they are on point and super predictable. Obviously after buying 4 sets of these shocks over the years it's my go to shock for a reason. They flat out work. Lots of adjustment with the rc2 and that's what I love. Only issue is most have absolutely no clue how to set sag, ride height or crossover or any of the other simple settings for that matter. The fox shock setup manual is super helpful on all of this. Correct pre setup goes a long way. Is what I'm getting at is know your shock and know exactly what each adjustment does and how it will effect the shock b4 you start adjusting things.

I will also add I run adjustable limit straps on the front to eliminate shock knock at droop. I strap them up 3/8 of a inch at full droop. I have spent years coming up with my setup and now I can send them to my shock tuner and tell them the exact spring rates and valving I want. I also spent a pile of money with a few well known shock places and in the end I got it in the butt with no lube. One of those no lube instances the shocks came back so bad I didn't feel safe to even drive the damn thing. So I can't stress enough to do your homework b4 you she'll out you hard earned cash to a shock company with fancy stickers and adds on YouTube.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts