Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old battery went bad and was extremely dead, the last time I went ot ride it I had to use a quick charger to even start it when i wanted to drive it. So I purchased a battery, had it on a charger for three days, put it in the RZR and now when I turn the key, nothing no power to anythinng. Took the charger and put it back on the battery and there is a good charge on it. I checked all of the fuses in the panel under the dash and they are all good.

I did a search out here for something similar and really cannot find anything. Is there someone out here that has seen this before? I really appreciate any help that you can give....

·
Banned
1,182 Posts
Check your wiring! Sounds like you have missed one of the power wires? Volt meters work well for this or a simple light to test the circuit will help!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well with it being the just the battery that I replaced, I have two positive cabels and one negative....stock 2008 RZR with nothing extra....hmmm

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not checked the voltage tonight....I do not have anything to test it with but I will tomorrow. The gauge cluster does not power at all

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I made sure that the battery was hooked up right so I double checked it and my dad had showed up today so I had him check it also....it happens where I can do something like that...LOL

As for the Chassis fuse, I do have a 20A in there and it looks to be good. Now I have read a few things out on the internet about checking the starter relay behind the battery...could this go bad?

·
Administrator
50,250 Posts
Yeah I made sure that the battery was hooked up right so I double checked it and my dad had showed up today so I had him check it also....it happens where I can do something like that...LOL

As for the Chassis fuse, I do have a 20A in there and it looks to be good. Now I have read a few things out on the internet about checking the starter relay behind the battery...could this go bad?
It could but you should still have voltage to the speedo ???put a new fuse in and check it again ,

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So it still should be something on the firewall then....I will re-check all the fuses again but they were good though. Anything else under the dash to check?

·
Just kidding!
10,752 Posts
There is also a fusable link betwwen the fuse box and battery.I'm not sure where but it showes it in the manual.It should be close to the battery.Make sure you are checking the chassis fuse.There are some spare fuses in the box.It shows it being a 20amp in my manual.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for your input...I am going to double check the fuses again tonight and ensure al cables are connected correctly. I will report back....

Thanks again

·
Registered
999 Posts
Use an Ohm meter to check the fuses dont rely on the fact that they look good.
They can look good and still be broken rather than burnt.
You can pick up a cheap ohm meter at Harbor Freight that will work perfectly for these type of issues.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Use an Ohm meter to check the fuses dont rely on the fact that they look good.
They can look good and still be broken rather than burnt.
You can pick up a cheap ohm meter at Harbor Freight that will work perfectly for these type of issues.
Yep that is where I am headed today at lunch to pickup that very item....

·
Banned
1,182 Posts
Okay, you know the battery has power, so start there and work out on each side! Think of it as Hot and cold and you need both for the shower;) Now go to the first connection and check with a light tester (You can make one with a Light Bulb with two wires, one to the outside and one taped to the middle contact) and see if the "Water" is flowing! Then go to the next connection and so on! I think if it is not a blown fuse it is a lose ground wire! Harder to find and just as important! If you go from the battery out you have to find one place where on one side you have power and the other not!

·
Registered
880 Posts
"now when I turn the key, nothing no power to anythinng"
Might be worth checking the wires to the back of the key switch!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Most likely a fuse, but dont forget to check your ground wires as well

1 - 20 of 25 Posts