Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some new Afco shocks and springs from Makin Trax.
Steve advised me to install 200 pounders on the front, and 250's on the back.
Now the ride is SO rough, that I can't stand to even use my quad (08 50").
Steve is presently (or permanently) unavailable.
What does someone recommend that I replace the springs with. I am sure that the new Afco shocks are just fine.
I do slow trail riding, and climbing over stuff. No high speed or jumping - ever.
Thanks a lot.

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
how much preload are you running?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you very much, guys.
I can't wait to try it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yep...no pre-load. Steve has a sticky on how to set them up. Pre load is not used.
Where do I find this sticky. I am having the same issue. I believe I have two turns of preload. What is that 1/4 or 1/2 inch?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Just back off all the preload-- just enough to keep the spring from moving between the locking rings or nuts (whatever you call them)... You will see a hugh difference.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just back off all the preload-- just enough to keep the spring from moving between the locking rings or nuts (whatever you call them)... You will see a hugh difference.
I'll do that right now. Thanks.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'll do that right now. Thanks.
OK, I just checked my preload, again. I have zero preload set on the springs. Preload is set with the vehicle jacked up and the tires off of the ground, correct?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Correct Arlan. As long as you have the suspension in full droop the only compression on the spring is pre-load. On my AFCO MT2's I had to compress the spring slightly on either the F or R's, can't recall, to install the spring perch so one set had a small amount of preload with the adjustment perch fully backed off. On my Silvers I can get all 4 shocks at zero preload with the adjuster. I found that adding about 50 lbs preload in the front (1/4") and 75 in the rear (3/8") was a good balance between ride quality and ground clearance. I carry a bit of extra weight in the rear cargo box so I was losing a bit of rear GC with zero preload but the ride was really cushy. With the above described preload the ride is a bit harsher but I drop my tire pressure about 2lbs to regain ride quality. Don't be afraid to play with it a bit but try only about one turn adjustments until you like it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts