Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have myself in a pickle and before taking it in to a high dollar repair shop, I'm hoping someone may shed some light on this subject. I have a rear axle stuck. I have viewed tons of videos, bought several tools and have tried all of the known tricks to get this to "pop" out with significant force. Today we decided to bite the bullet. We snatched one side of the RZR to a large Grizzle pulling in one direction and my F150 chained to a welded bracket on the axle cup and NOTHING... I hit this so hard the 6th try that the chain ended up completely trashing my tailgate when the weld let go.
Guys, I understand something being rusted, stuck, seized or whatever we want to call this but I honestly thought we were ripping the cart in two with the last attempt. I'm talking about slack in the change and driving off with the 150 to hit it will all the force we could.
Now with all of that being said, we aren't amatures to mechanics, we may not understand the proper way of removal but I believe it is supposed to "pop" out.

PLEAS shed some light my direction as I'm at Wits End!

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, Large 700 Grizzly puling it opposite direction. Bracket welded across the cup, chain attached to the bracket and F150

·
Registered
776 Posts
The key to removing a stuck cup is making sure you are pulling straight.
Ive fabbed up my own tool which has yet to let me down on 6 occurrences now.

Im willing to bet you werent pulling straight with a f150..

Where are you located?

·
Registered
140 Posts
While not the best idea when I had a axle stick I used a strap to do a controlled roll onto the side just not all the way and got as much liquid wrench into the joint and let it sit like that over night and that helped free it up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with pulling straight and not from an angle and yes we were very particular with this as well.
As far as tools tried, we purchased the set of axle pulling tools which inset inside the cup to use with a slide hammer, qalso tried the 2 vise grip and slide hammer technique. I did find another video this evening that seems to have helped out alot of folks in my situation. I will try this tomorrow to see if it helps and report back. It's the vid where he makes a 36" slide hammer with 3/8" all thread screwed in the back of the vise grips which will be clamped and duct taped shut and using a 10# weight on the "slide hammer"

Columbus Ohio area

·
Registered
776 Posts
Kinda wish that said Columbus Indiana. LOL

Im from the Indy area but travel to Columbus IN to pick up vehicles atleast once sometimes up to 3x a week.
If you were a bit closer, id come pull it for ya. I have confidence. hah

With that being said, Can you wiggle whats left inside the diff?
You have about 2 or so 16th worth of play in and out also? Or is it solid?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Hate to say it, but after shock loading it with the force of a truck, you may have tweeked it to the point where its never coming out. Like LinkedXJ said, it has to be pulled perfectly strait

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey everyone, I have myself in a pickle and before taking it in to a high dollar repair shop, I'm hoping someone may shed some light on this subject. I have a rear axle stuck. I have viewed tons of videos, bought several tools and have tried all of the known tricks to get this to "pop" out with significant force. Today we decided to bite the bullet. We snatched one side of the RZR to a large Grizzle pulling in one direction and my F150 chained to a welded bracket on the axle cup and NOTHING... I hit this so hard the 6th try that the chain ended up completely trashing my tailgate when the weld let go.
Guys, I understand something being rusted, stuck, seized or whatever we want to call this but I honestly thought we were ripping the cart in two with the last attempt. I'm talking about slack in the change and driving off with the 150 to hit it will all the force we could.
Now with all of that being said, we aren't amatures to mechanics, we may not understand the proper way of removal but I believe it is supposed to "pop" out.

PLEAS shed some light my direction as I'm at Wits End!

Thanks in advance!!
spray a product called "free All" s couple of times waiting a few hours between sprays, like the others said make sure you pull straight (90*) from the diff. If it's rusted in this stuff should do it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This morning I had two intentions afer watching a youtube video last evening where the guy makes his own longer slide hammer using 10#'s of weight vs the traditional 3#. I actually used 15#'s. I also used something I learned about years ago which Im sure is similar to whats metioned above. This spray is called Kroil-(if I speeled it correctly) and it's the "creeping oil". You spray it, go back in a couple hours and spray again and try removal in a few hours or let it penetrate over night. It is supposed to "crepe" through the rust to lossen it over tiime. I only had about 15 minutes of the lubricant and slide hammer today and still nothing. I think we are loading it tomorrow or Tuesday and taking it to a shop that works on ATV's to get an estimate and I'm sure its going to be dollars per hour as no one really knows what they are up against until they have tried their ways of removal. Then I'll ask for the worst case scenario. The nice thing with all of this I have little to no money invested in this at this point. It's a 2016 with 1065 miles on it. I won it in a raffle

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not sure if it is possible but what about removing the other side and using a punch to go through and hammer it out. Seen it done on a 1K not sure if this will work for a 570. Just a thought

·
Registered
155 Posts
Does the end of the axle have any kind of retaining clip? Some cars have this. It is supposed to spring into a groove and then just compress into the groove in the axle as you remove it. I have seen the clip get caught up and wedged into the spines before and cause problems. If you have to hammer on it too hard you could crack the case. Does this happen often on the Polaris axles? Sounds like a poor design or lack of proper coating or lube on the axle if the extreme rusting is a problem. Poor quality steel or something.

John

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wow that is crazy! I broke both my rear axles at the dunes while water skipping over the weekend im hoping mine come out easy on my turbo lol.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Rears are much easier to get to and remove on a turbo.

Once you get one out, you can knock the other out from the open side.

·
Locomike
59 Posts
At this point I would pull the diff and attack it on the bench.
After your F150 trick I would at a minimum replace the diff seals.

·
Registered
776 Posts
F150 trick lol

Sorry, that definitely made me giggle.

Keep us updated on what gets discovered.
Either going to be good after someone gets ahold of it correctly or you tore some stuff up. Either way, keep us posted.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts