Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im looking to buy my first machine. Looking at what seems to be a really good shape 2016 turbo. Has 36 hours and 380 miles and im able to pick up the ride for 11,5k. I have done some research and seen where they did beef the turbos up in 2017 and fixed the cooling issues. Wondering if i should stay away from the 16s, need some feed back from some owners. Seem like a awsome deal on a clean low mile ride.

·
Registered
256 Posts
There were some issues with the 16 but also some advantages. Just depends on your riding preference. For woods, hill climbing and rock to me the 16 is perfect due to lower gearing. If your a sand guy or fast rider then the 17+ are better suited.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do like to ride in some sand but would not be my everyday run. Probably would be mostly trail rode majority of time. Do like a fast machine though a lot of new models turbos out of my price range unles they have tons of miles. Abgracing you own or have experience with the 16s turbo has it been solid?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yes I have a 16 model. Picked it up used when it was a year old. Had the choice between 17 and 16 and went with the 16 for riding here in Tennessee. Got 2000 trouble free miles. Have done all the upgrades. I did not get the free fan upgrade but found a great deal on one. I’ve never had any issues except voltage regulator. Like I said I don’t have experience with this model in the sand and the over heating issue. But sounds like a great deal you found.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I have a 16 model. Picked it up used when it was a year old. Had the choice between 17 and 16 and went with the 16 for riding here in Tennessee. Got 2000 trouble free miles. Have done all the upgrades. I did not get the free fan upgrade but found a great deal on one. I’ve never had any issues except voltage regulator. Like I said I don’t have experience with this model in the sand and the over heating issue. But sounds like a great deal you found.
When you say you have done all upgrades. What all have you done to the machine?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I don’t remember all the recalls and service bulletins honestly. The ones I did were the clutch upgrade ( sliders/shims), the taller air intakes and the high flow fan.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If it’s clean and nice go for it. I had a 16 and went to a 17. Definitely feel the power difference but if you are not hitting the dunes the difference would be minimal. Make upgrades as cash allows and have fun with it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nothing wrong with the 16's as long as all factory recalls were addressed. The guy you are buying from should have all the records. If not I would be concerned about buying something without records (service records, recalls, repairs). With the VIN number, you should be able to go to your polaris dealer and all recalls, etc should be in their computer.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The 2016's notoriously had alot of issues. So much that our local dealer doesn't want them in on trade. If they do take it, they take it on a lowball and wholesale it right away. If I had a choice, I 'd pick a different year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys want to say thank you for all your feedback. I have decided not to pick the 16 model up due to the guy wanting a little more money and reading all the horror stories. Rather buy a better machine with the money then get that one and dump a bunch of cash in it to make it run cooler. Living in Florida it gets pretty warm in the summers!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One other question for you guys and i know this can differ due to a lot "how the macine has been maintained". What would you consider a high mileage on a turbo rig? When would you expect to start having to do some heavy maintenance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The 2017-2019 turbos are a better product than the 2016 because polaris engineers corrected the 2016 problems. I ride with two friends with 2016s, and neither have had problems after the recalls were addressed. One of them now has 6900 miles, and the other 5000. I have a 2018 turbo dynamix with 3900 miles, with the only problem replacing to front axles because they were a little sloppy (but that is not a turbo problem). I am hoping to get 10000 plus miles on the motor/turbo, so I do routine maintenance well within the factory intervals. As I mentioned in a previous post, I change the front diff at 20-25 hrs, and the engine oil and gearcase at 40 hrs. I clean the air filters after each trip, and remove the clutch cover and blow out the belt debris. I change the drive belt at 3000-3500 miles as routine maintenance. Dirt in the motor and excessive belt dust in the clutches will cost you a lot of money. Good luck on your new rzr.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 2017-2019 turbos are a better product than the 2016 because polaris engineers corrected the 2016 problems. I ride with two friends with 2016s, and neither have had problems after the recalls were addressed. One of them now has 6900 miles, and the other 5000. I have a 2018 turbo dynamix with 3900 miles, with the only problem replacing to front axles because they were a little sloppy (but that is not a turbo problem). I am hoping to get 10000 plus miles on the motor/turbo, so I do routine maintenance well within the factory intervals. As I mentioned in a previous post, I change the front diff at 20-25 hrs, and the engine oil and gearcase at 40 hrs. I clean the air filters after each trip, and remove the clutch cover and blow out the belt debris. I change the drive belt at 3000-3500 miles as routine maintenance. Dirt in the motor and excessive belt dust in the clutches will cost you a lot of money. Good luck on your new rzr.
Thanks bro for the info, im one to meticulously clean up my rigs as well. Leaning towards getting a new now i have been searching for a while. Hoping to get one of these left over turbo s velocities. Looking like they going for around 19k with the rebates.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks bro for the info, im one to meticulously clean up my rigs as well. Leaning towards getting a new now i have been searching for a while. Hoping to get one of these left over turbo s velocities. Looking like they going for around 19k with the rebates.
You will be very happy with the Turbo S. It does it all. Even though it has only 168 hp and the new XP Pro has 181, the new Pro might beat you in a 1/4 mile drag by a half car length. You will discover that 168 hp will do everything you want it to. Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts