Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i installed my stereo the other day and was riding tonight and it started making a cracking sound in the speakers. it was alot of slow riding so i wasnt getting alot of rpm's. but when i shut the engine off it does not make the sound...what am i hearing? never did this before tonight. the amp i am using is a 440 watt kicker. anyadvice would help...thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i ran a wire straight to neg on the battery to see if it was a bad ground...still does it. if it was a bad ground why did it just now start and why would it do only while the engine is running? could it be a low battery?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Mentioned ground because it could have come loose. Bad ground or ground loop can also cause ignition noise to carry into speaker wires. Does the sound increase with engine RPM?

·
Registered
31 Posts
is you rca's ran close to your power wire? if it is that can couse igniton noise and if they are not change the rca they might be fraed some where

·
Registered
94 Posts
To what wattage and brand of speakers? Distributed to two speakers that is around 220 watts each or about 110 RMS to each, could easily mess the voice coil up if not matched up. Try turning the gains down to drop the amount of power going to them if it is not too late. Are they waterproof?

·
aka: Bad Influence
929 Posts
Check the ground of the car itself not the radio. If the ground for the charging system or the ground for the coil packs is bad it will feed interference into everything else on the car. So pull the coil packs off and make sure the surface it mounts too is clean and free of corrosion or rust and also find the gorund point for the car and remove the bolt and clean the surface it grounds too.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I am leaning towards blown voice coil....but seems a little stange that it only does it when the engine is on.

As far as ground all of the folks are correct it could cause the issue. One thing i would like to point out about what I have seen on our 3 new rzr s is that the ground was done very poorly.

I think it was a 6 awg pigtail grounded from batt to the frame. Where it was connected to the fram the powder coating is not even removed for good contact.

I have changed that on our I replaced the grown with 4 AWG and used a dremel (SP) to remove poweder coating so that the connection will be a good bond.

I do this for a living and so I have spare stuff in my warehouse.

Sorry for the rant but maybe that will help someone out down the road.

Like someone asked already what brand and model speaker are they?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the speakers are jl audio 7.7 marine speakers. i had another rca cable laying around so i hooked it up and it does make the noise anymore...maybe just a bad rca cable.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Understanding it only does this while running I would ground it to the battery. Polaris has a screwed up grounding system on their machines and the battery is your best true ground when it comes down to it. If the "whine" varies while the engine is running your audio cables are to close to other power sources.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts