Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

Need help with loss of power!!!

25K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  bluetoad7 
#1 ·
I have a 2012 rzr 800 50 inch W.E. edition. After riding the other night for about 20 miles I noticed some power loss on the way home. When throttle is floored from dead stop I get a sputter and will only reach only 35 mph. Other than power loss engine seems to be running fine. Any suggestions on the cause? Thanks in advance.

Rzr has no engine or drive train modifications except for DIY snorkels. Engine has apox 500 miles and belt has been wet once but was dried out and has been ran 50 plus miles since with no issues.

#2 ·
Check your airbox?

#5 ·
Dang that is funny. I caught the last corner of a chamous that was well on it's way to being sucked up the intake, realized then that thing actually does pull air right there between the seats, duh???

:)

#6 ·
Thanks guys! It was the airbox. That was my 1st thought as well, but I was out of town and figure I would inquire from the hive here on possible causes. I got back home today and checked it out and found something curious. The pre filter inside the air box for the engine vent was filthy. It's the little black mesh bar looking thing and it was full of moist dirt but not really mud. The airbox itself was fairly clean, except for some dust. I am running the factory paper filter with an outer wares cover, and have outer wares screens on my snorkle tips. Any ideas on how that pre filter inside the airbox got soooo dirty? I don't want a repeat of this issue. Thanks again

#7 ·
The little black mesh thingy is your positive crankcase vent screen and it is gooey with engine oil and dust (perfectly normal). When you clean your outerwears prefilter clean it too. Beware, NEVER try to clean your paper filter with compressed air! I believe this to be the major contributor to the cause of early piston ring failure that Polaris gets a bad rap for. The owners manual clearly states NEVER attempt to clean your paper filter!
Da Blue Toad :redrzr:

#8 ·
What is the reason behind not using compresses air to blow out the paper air filters? I thought this was ok to do if you blow from the inside out and not the outside in. Looking into an aftermarket filter anyways, what suggestion do you have? Preferably something I can continue to use the outer wares with. Thanks!

#10 · (Edited)
When you dislodge a dust particle, any smaller dust parrticle will pass right on through that hole, making its way directly to your combustion chambers. All heavy equipment mfgs stress that the only cleaning that should be attempted with a paper filter is to knock the hard plastic edge on something solid to dislodge layered dust particles. Your Outerwares cover is an excellent choice coupled with snorkles or a K & N prefilter ala the "Grumpy Mod", JMHO.
Da Blue Toad :redrzr:

G
#9 ·
As long as you don't force the particles deeper into the paper, ie blow from the clean side like you said..often though people damage the filter trying to get it clean with compressed air..it's only going to do so much cleaning without damaging the paper. IMO the only time I'll "clean" on is if it's fairly clean of small particles but has large pieces of trash such as grass on it..then I'll lightly blow it off. I wouldn't try to revive a paper filter that's ready to be replaced. Just my .02

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.