Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hooking up an Inferno heater in my 900S RZR. I’m to the point where in manual says to splice oil cooler line and place “T” valve. Then run hose to heater. Question: Do I splice the line coming from the water pump to the oil cooler or do I splice the line coming out of the oil cooler to the head?
Does it matter? Hose coming into cooler or hose coming out of cooler to engine head?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
It's a matter of preference. I chose the oil cooler for these reasons:
1. I wanted to use smaller hose fittings.
2. I wanted the hot water as soon as possible, didn't want to wait for the thermostat to open, which I would have had to wait for if I used a hose closer to where I mounted the heater up front.
3. I didn't want to interfere with the flow of water to and from the radiator.

This thread might be helpful: Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Should I install the ball valve in Hose "A" or Hose "B" ?
Thanks!

should I tap into the hose on bottom right feeding the oil cooler from the water pump or the hose coming out of the oil cooler going to the head?
or does it not matter?
2. I wanted the hot water as soon as possible, didn't want to wait for the thermostat to open, which I would have had to wait for if I used a hose closer to where I mounted the heater up front.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you!
The directions said to tap into the oil cooler line. Didn’t specify which one. Oil cooler on my 900 has two lines, one in and one out. Didn’t know if it mattered. Photo on instructions didn’t look to be a 900 RZR. Thank you for the quick reply. Back at it in the morning. Thanks again !

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I tapped into Hose B. I'm not sure it matters much as long as you make sure that no matter which way your ball valve is turned, water still flows through the cooler hoses.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One last dumb question. I am hooking up the three way valve this morning. Do I have my thinking on coolant flow direction on Hose "B" where I am install in the ball valve. Coolant flow is from the oil cooler to water pump. Is this correct? If so, basically the ball valve when "On" diverts coolant from the oil cooler to the heater core, through the core and down to the lower radiator hose, then back to water pump, then through the engine to the oil cooler and back to heater core. If flow is opposite to what I am thinking, I don't see how it will work? Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Your description makes sense if I’m following it correctly. More importantly, cutting into hose B definitely works. I just did it a couple months ago and the inferno throws nice warm air.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just need to verify that coolant flows from the oil cooler to the bottom of the engine and NOT from the bottom of the engine up to the oil cooler. I can picture me putting in the 3 way ball valve pointing in the wrong direction and shutting off my coolant flow to the oil cooler and burning up the engine.... that would be my luck. I just need to understand what direction the coolant flows.
Any photos of how you plumbed your ball valve? Thank you for all your help.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I don't think it matters which direction the coolant flows. Don't cut into more than one hose. If you're using Hose B, then cut that hose in half, and one half is your "source" for your flow, and the other half is your "destination".
Your coolant flow goes out one end of Hose B, out to the heater core, and then comes back and goes into the other half of Hose B. Here's what mine looks like. The bottom T is valved. The upper T is not valved.

(Instead of cutting my "Hose B" in half, I just removed it and replaced with some pieces of 5/8" heater hose I got from the local auto parts store. I'm just suggesting cutting Hose B in half as away to visuialize it.)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I put the three way ball valve in the oil cooler line you did. When ball valve is on for heater it send coolant from the oil cooler to the heater then back to the heater hose which returns to the pump. Then to the head then the oiler cooler again. I believe it will work.

I don't think it matters which direction the coolant flows. Don't cut into more than one hose. If you're using Hose B, then cut that hose in half, and one half is your "source" for your flow, and the other half is your "destination".
Your coolant flow goes out one end of Hose B, out to the heater core, and then comes back and goes into the other half of Hose B. Here's what mine looks like. The bottom T is valved. The upper T is not valved.

(Instead of cutting my "Hose B" in half, I just removed it and replaced with some pieces of 5/8" heater hose I got from the local auto parts store. I'm just suggesting cutting Hose B in half as away to visuialize it.)

View attachment 661795

·
Registered
37 Posts
wow way over kill sky lab stuff..... my 900 rzr heater is nothing like that with all the ball vavles and splicing ,,you only need two fitting to hook it up they are "y" fittings not "T" the t fittings will make air harder to come out and slow the flow and cause cavitation the "Y" fittings go up near the radiator with the y pointing back tward the motor and a thermostat bypass valve goes back at the thermostat simple way to install it flows coolant all the time no it dont get hot in the cab just fyi the y fitting are sold in pairs but you only need 1

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Mine's been installed for a couple years. Heater warms up quick when I start the car. Haven't had any engine overheating issues. Turning off the valve makes a big change in how much heat comes into the cab in the summer from the hoses that go to the heater. I like it just fine.

You want something different, fine, you do something different. But you don't have to make negative comments about other peoples' stuff that works just the way they want it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I called Inferno and everything is hooked up correctly. Got all the air burped yesterday and heats coming out great. I do like the fact that I can shutoff the heater core in summer months to keep cab cooler. Installing cab enclosure today.
thanks for all the help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts