Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this review was not done on a RZR but the Pit Bull Tire`s are defiantly worth considering for your next tire purchase.

I was given a chance to try a set of the Pit Bull Growler X.O.R.(extreme
off-road) RADIAL tires. My first impression was that they looked like swamp
lites, but with chunks taken out of the lugs. Boy was I wrong! These
tires stick like glue to rocks. The Growler is probably the best all around
tire I have used to-date, and I have gone through a lot of tires over these
many years, trying to find something that would do everything well.

The rubber compound is like no other tire I have felt or used. It is real
soft, sticky and thick. Over big rocks the lugs flex very well while
holding the rocks like glue. Yesterday I did some technical riding on a
rock course about 25-30ft wide and 300ft long of nothing but big sharp
rocks. These tires didn't let me down, they just stuck and pulled like no
other I have used (better than Big horns). The guy I was with has a Rincon
with xtr`s and couldn't make it 2 quad lengths (not a real fare comparison
but that's all that I had to compare to). The guys standing by watching in
the jeeps and other quads were amazed on how well they worked.

Then off to the sand where their performance excelled once again. They
didn't dig as much as I had anticipated, but instead, they just hooked up
and took off with very little tire roll in fast corners. Whereas I had
expected they would dig and dive in the soft sand, instead, they just
floated along the top of the sand and kept going.

On hard pack trails they were just point and shoot. Power sliding around
corners was very easy - just hit it and go. They are also a very smooth
riding tire which is surprising for such an aggressive lug pattern, but then
again, the lugs do flex like no other tire I have ever used. Spanked the
Rincon and the xtr`s again.

Then we hit the mud (which, honestly, I don`t care for) and my buddy
thought his xtr`s were going to out-do me - WRONG answer. The Growlers
did very well in the mud. Yes, they are no outlaw or silverback (which are
dedicated single purpose mud tires), but that being said, as an all
conditions tire, they definitely pull almost as well as a dedicated mud
tire. They clean out without having to pin the throttle; don`t dig to the
bottom and just grab and go.

I haven`t had the chance to ride any gravel roads yet, but the way the
Growlers handled everything else, I would say they are going to be a great
high speed drifter around turns.

On asphalt going up and down my street, they are very smooth. They don`t
wander at high speeds. I ran them up to about 50mph and they handled like
a dream.

I would have to say they are the best all around tire I have ever had the
chance to use. Time will tell on how well they hold up.

I will get some more pics up as soon as I go through them.

the last picture is a 25.5x10 x 12 Growler (not mounted) next to a 27" maxxis Zilla with 5psi.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a front pic

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they are very quiet and the vibration is null (I balanced them). The Growlers are surprisingly smooth for an aggressive tire.

·
De Oppresso Liber
1,682 Posts
Just got my Pit Bull Growler tires and thought I'd post some of my first impressions of them before I mount them on a set of new beadlocks that I have coming shortly.

I have the Growler XOR in 25.5 x 8 x 12R for the front and 25.5 x 10 x 12R for the rear.

My first impression of the tires when I pulled them out of the box was that I was sent truck tires and not S x S tires. The build and feel of the tires is like you would expect out of full size off road truck tires. Compared to other S x S tires, these clearly stand out as a step above. For direct comparison I have the Carlisle All Trails on my RZR and the brand new Polaris stock tires. I've also had the opportunity to see other brands up close while shopping UTVCraps extensive in store tire wall. As I said, I am impressed with the overall build of the tires and the attention to detail that has been put into them. I was skeptical at first of a radial off road tire but having seen the Pit Bull Growler up close it is clear that this is an off road tire built by people who know a thing or two about off roading.

Second thing I noticed is that despite looking bombproof, they weighed about what I'd expect a S x S tire to weigh. I haven't weighed them but the listed weight seems about right. One thing that is notable is the sizing. Compared to my Carlisle All trails the Growlers are taller, closer to a 26" than a 25" but they are just as wide, both front and back, despite being listed as smaller. So it's safe to say that they run slightly bigger than advertised which is good as I thought I was getting smaller than what I was used to and wasn't sure if I'd like it or not. Again, I am very impressed with what I got.

Tread pattern is interesting as there are things on the tread of these tires that you'd expect on full size truck tires and you never see on S x S tires. If you look at the close up pictures of the tread you will see what I mean. The tread itself is also a step above what I'd expected. The tread blocks are tall, as tall or slightly taller than a quarter. The tires are directional so the tread blocks are situated for movement in that direction when mounted. I'm curious to see how they ride on the hardball but in comparison to the Stock tires they look like a smoother ride. As for off road, I have no doubt they will perform well in the rocks as they feel like they are sticky enough to grip without being too soft. I don't do any mudding but my gut impression is that they'd do fine in the mud. The desert trails/sand/silt is prevalent where I ride and my gut feeling again is that they will handle anything I can find. Sidewalls are also worth mentioning as they are thicker than what I've seen on S x S tires. Like I mentioned before, these things look and feel like a full size offroad truck tire thats been shrunk down to S x S sizes.

The other thing I like about these tires is that they are made in the USA and I try to buy American as often as possible. After I get them mounted and run them over all the surfaces possible I'll post my findings.

·
De Oppresso Liber
1,682 Posts
A few more pictures for comparison. On the vehicle is the Carlisle All Trail, then the pit bull, and then a brand new Stock Polaris rim and tire. My observations are that the Pitbull is taller than the carlisle and wider than the Stock. The Pitbull is about as wide as the Carlisle but appears to be a tad smaller depending on how you look at the two. All tires are rear 25 x 10 x 12. The Pit Bull doesn't have a rim/air in it, the other two tires do. I am thinking once I mount the Pit Bull it will fill out a little bit more in each direction(height and width).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I originally had 4 10 wides on my griz have now went to 8`s in the front they work much better than 4-10 (less skating). They handle very well at speed also I have had them up to 72mph (gps) on my griz and they track straight and true. I still say they are the best tire for all around use. I don`t mud much any more but I can tell you this they will hold there own in the pits.

·
De Oppresso Liber
1,682 Posts
OK, I got the tires mounted on Douglas Rockstar OMF beadlocks from UTV Crap today. The pictures below now show the Pit Bulls mounted on a rim and aired up next to the other tires.

First off, the mounted Pit Bull tire is both taller and wider than both the Carlisle and the Stock polaris tire/wheel.

Second, they look BAD ASS.

Some of the changes I have noticed. I have more ground clearance than before with the Pit Bulls. Tire weight between the Carlisle and pit bull tires is very close if not similar. My acceleration and top end speed is the same.

Now, what I am really impressed with is how smooth the ride is. Before, the Carlisle's had a smooth ride on the hard ball and I could cruise at 55+ mph no problem. So after switching the tires out I drove it on the hardball and at 55+ mph with the Pit Bull Growlers, it actually felt smoother than the Carlisle's. I figured the aggressive tread pattern would make for a less smooth ride but it isn't so. The tires are very quite and the ride is smooth on the hardball. It's apparent that their being radial tires is an advantage even with an aggressive tread pattern.

My second test was on the gravel roads and sandy/silt trails. I was still able to cruise at 55 mph on the gravel trails. I did notice a tad bit more drift than I was used to but nothing detrimental given I was on a rutted up, uneven gravel trail at 55 mph. The tread pattern is more aggressive than the carlisle's but the kick up and dust the Pit Bulls created wasn't that much more noticeable. They do kick up a little bit more than I am used to but again, it's nothing major.

The Pit Bulls do grip the terrain, when I doubled back to look at the tracks I could see where the tires had clearly gained traction. In the silt/baby powder they did very well and I was surprised to see that the tread design actually kicks the dust/debris coming off of the tire away from the cab at about a 20 degree angle. So while I think it helps to have the S flares, I didn't find any more or less dust/rocks coming into the cab because of the tread pattern. I didn't feel that the tires sunk or dug in the silty areas nor did I feel like I lost steering control inputs when turning hard. I did notice the huge dust cloud I created but unless you were behind me, it wouldn't matter as the dust was minimal in the cab again.

I will take a ride in the rocks and steep softball size scree hills tomorrow and let you know how they perform going over and up rocky terrain.

So far, I am REALLY impressed with how these tires perform, especially on the hardball. They feel like passenger car tires on the hardball and are not "knobby" feeling at all, even at 55+ mph. The added height I gained is also welcome as I didn't have to do anything other than change the tires out to gain lift while still running a 25" tire.

Did I mention how BAD ASS these tires are?

·
LV RzR Rider's Mechanic
984 Posts
looks awesome

·
De Oppresso Liber
1,682 Posts

·
Knucklehead
502 Posts
It's no wonder they are grippy with all of that siping, this would make them an excellent winter tire also. The downside is a shorter tread life, it will be interesting to see how they hold up. They do look awesome!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts