Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
AKA: blinginvic
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I received the Surepower 1314 Battery Separator in the mail and got right down to business of converting my RZR to a dual battery setup.
I'm using the Odyssey 925 and the stock Polaris battery. The stock battery is my main and the 925 is the auxiliary battery.
I had to purchase two 4 gauge red battery wires (2 feet long each) and one 4 gauge black battery wire (3 feet long). I also picked up some 14 gauge wire for the 1314 ground...I already had some spades and loop connectors. At this time, I have elected not to add the momentary boost switch and LED indicator.
I then fabbed up the battery hold down for the stock battery that was going to be located in the storage compartment beside the stock battery location. I used 3/4" aluminum bar that I bent up using a vice so that it would wrap around the forward and rear seat mounting bars, while eliminating any up and down battery movement. I then bent up a piece of aluminum into a 90 degree "L" bracket to keep the battery from sliding from side to side. Anywhere the hold down brackets touched the battery, I applied self adhesive cork to the backside of the brackets to minimize any potential chaffing. The forward portion of the bracket was tied into the front seat mounting bar using a self tapping screw. The rear section was drilled, then bolted. I also drilled some additional holes in the storage compartment to help drain any water faster.

It was a tight fit getting the wires all connected, but with some patience, it all came together. The 1314 instructions are very good and quite straight forward.

The aux battery powers my LED lightbar, LED whip and 3500 lb winch. The main powers the machine as it came from the factory. I added battery charger cables to the main so that all I have to do is plug in the Battery Tender Jr. to the pre-wired plug. Any new electrical accessories will utilize the aux Odyssey battery.

The one question I do have regarding the use of the Surepower 1314 is this....When I have the main battery connected to the Battery Tender Jr., is it normal that the solenoid in the 1314 switches back and forth to each battery in about 30-45 second intervals? Both my batteries are charged, so I know the switch is doing it's job. After about 5 minutes, the solenoid stops switching and it appears the charging is happening, because the light on the tender is still red. Any one using the 1314 and use a battery charger as well? How's it working for you?

While I was doing this, I also rewired my Power Commander V, Autotune and PCV LCD screen and added a protective flap cover. For the flap cover, I stole my wifes silicone baking thingamabob sheet and cut it to size (hopefully she doesn't notice!!!). I loosened the ECU and squeezed it between the ECU and wall and then re-tightened. I placed a strip of electrical tape over the rubber USB plug to ensure no water and debris get in there now that the rainy season (our winter) is soon upon us.

Here the photos:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for the write up and pics.. my 1314 should be here tomorrow and I have been trying to figure ou a way to hold my main battery in that storage compartment.. this is clean..I have a couple questions for you... where did you get the cork to stick on to the bracket? And how did you mount the sure power? I am looking at this on my phone, maybe ill see it better on the computer!
So hooking up the battery tender to the main battery will charge both batteries? I was thinking it might have to be hooked up to the 1314 to split the charge?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Great looking install Bil ,man i wish my ride was that clean !
I think Bill's keeping a little secret.

He actually has 2 RZRs, one brand new, un-used machine for all the clean pictures and one that he actually rides.:ride:

Vince

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Looks nice , were did you get your 925 ,Im finding them for about $160.00-180.00 plus shipping . Thank for any info.

·
AKA: blinginvic
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just happen to have this cork laying around...I would suspect you get this at most hardware stores. I mounted the Surepower unit on the vertical wall of the storage compartment (on the side closest to the main harness chassis ground) with two nuts & bolts.

I was doing some research, and one idea was to disconnect the Surepower ground (spade connector) so that the charge doesn't go back and forth, but then you would have to charge both batteries manually. I think I will keep it status quo for now and see how it works out.

I wish I had two RZRs....well, actually I do, except the other one is my kids RZR 170!!!

The 925 was actually a freebie from a local online buy and sell. The seller wasn't sure if the battery was good or not, so he just gave it to me...turns out it was never used and the battery was good as new! Lucky eh?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts