Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My build thread **Now with pics**

This will be my build thread. Hopefully remember to update it regularly.
I am starting out with a 2010 Pearl white RzR S 800. So far it is bone stock.I have a good friend whos name is Eric who is helping me with everything from letting me take over half of him garage, use his tools, and also get an extra set of hands. He was a professional stereo builder/installer in his younger years and won many events/trophies for people. He knows his sh*t when it comes to anything audio, fiberglass, and general building things. He owns a very reputable contracting company, so he will be an invaluable resource on this thing. Here goes!
I will do my best to get pictures at things progress.

9/19/12 - Eric installed my new HID's in place of stock location. He got all wiring ran and ballasts mounted. Unfortunately, there is an issue with one the drivers side bulb cutting off after 2 seconds. Will troubleshoot tomorrow.

9/20/12 - Started work at about 3 pm today. With just a little tinkering and testing some possible fixes for the lights, we got everything working correctly. The problem ended up being a lack of power issue. The ballast was noT getting enough power to keep it running because he was testing it with the engine OFF. Cranked up the rzr, let is idle for about 1 minute and bam! The lights work fine and are SUPER bright.
We installed the new stereo system, Infinty 6100M wake board speakers with microphone PA. We got both. We got both Speaker pods (each has 2 speakers) mounted behind each seat on the roll cage. We got all wiring spliced, fixed, and ran along the underside of the rzr following the stock wires. The amp is mounted intside the front hood cubby and will be sealed off the best I can. Pics to come soon of progress.
--The goal for tomorrow will be to finish up everything for the stereo, install some new UTVInc Braces that just came in today. Secure everything and begin re-assembling. The front fascia put back on, install the new to me, stock replacement cage, install the new EMP Cooter Brown roof, Re-install everything over the engine.
Lots to do, but really want to get it all ride ready ASAP. I NEED to go!

Test Fitting Speakers Rear shot

Test fitting speakers front shot

Fitting the amp

Amp side shot

Amp side shot with wires run

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
9/21/12- Picked up the correct size battery today. Should make things much more manageable. Finished getting all wires for the stereo run up front in the engine cubby. Now for the bad new.
The 3 UTVInc braces I got for the front end do not work together.

Front Upper REAR A Arm gusset
Front Upper A Arm Plate
Front Upper A Arm Gusset

The 3 gussets might work alone, but all 3 will not work because the added thickness of the plates combined throws off hole alignment. There is ALSO an issue with the REAR plate and the Upper middle (the plate that spans the front differential). The problem is that the bolt holes are not large enough for the required bolt to go through the 2 added plates plus the original frame section.

My ADVICE for anyone wanting these plates to go with either far front gusset and the rear gusset OR only go with the one center gusset.
Throw LOTS of drilling/ widening holes and modification, I have almost finally been able to fit ALL THREE gussets together which forms a complete box around the front differential.
*note: People who are running 2010 "s", appear to have some bracing in place already. I do not know if this is know or different from "non-s" models. I am just warning people so that they do not make the mistake that I did and buy TOO MANY brackets, because NO ONE said that they would NOY work together. I could have saved myself about 70$ in extra stuff.
I will say though, now there is almost 1/2 inch of metal front and rear of the front UPPER A-arms, and 1/8-1/4 inch on top of the differential, but it's a LOT of work (several hours of drilling and test fitting).
I have a few pics to upload later that might help.

Now, the UTVInc metal seat bases fit EXCELLENT! Very easy install. Very beafy too. I also added a manual seat slider for easy adjusting.

Overal Experience: 3/5 on difficulty so far. The quality of the UTVInc plates are top notch. The directions are a bit lacking in some spots. They are short, not very detailed and leave things to you to figure out, but not impossible. If the 3 plates were better designed to work together, the install would have taken minutes instead of hours.

Anyways, after working for 4.5 straight hours of up and down, test fit after test fit, after test fit, drilling and more drilling, My friend and I had to call it a night and try fresh tomorrow.

Picture of Gusset that goes over the front differential

Center Gusset mounted over Differental

Front A arm plate mounted behind radiator support.

rear A arm plate outer holes

rear A arm plate inner holes

I will add more pictures in posts further down to show problems.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know, I know. I have a few but I was so busy trying to keep track of everything I had to do to make things work, bolts and tools and parts EVERYWHERE. Right now, My RZR is void of all panels, bed is off to be replaced with a new one, cage is off to be replaced, doors are off, wheels off front end in the air and it was 9 pm when we finally had to say stop and regroup in the morning. I will try to do better to get pics today and actually UPLOAD them!, lol.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Good luck on the build I love my 2010 pearl white 800s. In my opinion its the best rzr made.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
8/22/12 - Didn't spend as much time yesterday working. When I got to my friends house, he had already gotten all the brackets in and had put the front fascia on, so I thought we were gonna have an easy kick ass day. WRONG. We had a MAJOR problem with the fitment of the Upper REAR A-arm mount. The bolts on the joint for the steering shaft were hitting the plate, preventing the wheel from turning. We had to once again (for like the 10th time, no exaggeration) pull the bracket out and cut out a 3/4-1" notch into the bracket to all for steering shaft to make a full rotation. So, we did that and slapped it back in and voila! From there we finished putting on the front shell, mounted the the cubby with the amp, tied up all the loose wires. Next we moved on to the cage. We slapped it on and began locating all the bolts we needed and made sure everything was in alignment, and it was. Then we moved on to install the new UTVInc Low Cut Removable Doors. I was doing something a the work bench when I hear a loud bang (something metal) and my friend Eric started to throw out some choice words and said "that's it for today", so we stopped. We cleaned up the garage a little bit and I went home early. Well, later that night, I got a text saying "the cage is done."

Rear A arm gusset installed. This is where we noticed that the plate was making contact with the steering shaft at the joint.

This is a pic of the almost 1 inch notch we had to cut to clear the joint.

Pic of the plate with notch installed. NO rubbing!

Picture of front end all tightened up

Picture of front fascia/clip re-installed

MORE PICS FURTHER DOWN.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
8/23/12- And now we are today. I got over to my friends house early today (10ish vs 1pm) compared to my normal time. Well sure enough, he had gotten a little froggy last night and finished up the side skirts, the main cage and both doors (minus skins) by himself. So I was pretty happy about that, since that made for less work today.
So we jumped right on in and finished up the doors by mounting the skins, which really made the rzr pop. Next we moved on to the new EMP Cooter Brown Top. We had to do a little bit of fighting with the top because the speaker brackets are slightly in the way of the back part of the roof, but we got it on there. Next we slapped on the brand new rzr bed (my old one was chipped and cracked). and installed both rear side panels and the rear fascia, then we installed all 4 flares (which I haven't had on since my first ride!), and last was the rear down cage.
So after nearly a full year, my rzr is FINALLY back together, and looks GREAT. We took it out on a quick spin in the woods and then loaded it up and I left.
And that concluded the last week. What I started a year ago, we finished in less than 7 days. It's amazing how easy things are when you have a sheltered fully stocked "shop" to work in VS. outside in the weather with basic hand tools by yourself. I couldn't have done it without the help of my friend.
The pics are coming, I have to find a USB cable to get them off of my phone.

This is how the RZR was when I got to the house this morning. Cage was mounted and doors were mounted.

Rear pic 3/4 done.

Passenger side door

Front Cage and 1 speaker

Front cage, speakers and roof installed.

MORE PIC IN OTHER POSTS.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Close up of speakers from front

Driver side shot

Full shot of the rear

Close up of rear speakers.

Angle shot of rzr 3/4 done.

Old Bed

Old bed passenger side chipped

Old bed driver side crack

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
New bed! Nice and clean!

EMP cooter brown roof

Driver side Q/T panel installed with bed

Passenger side Q/T panel, flares and bed

Friend (Eric) finishing up back cage

RZR complete, shot of back side

Speakers were hitting the seats when installed

driver side shot

FIXED

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Picture of the P / A system mic that also control the amp/stereo and the 3.5mm aux input jack

Driver Seat with UTVINC metal bases and a seat slider

Slider close up

Slider side shot

Driver seat installed

Installed slider close up

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
9/23/12 - MY OVERALL EXPERIENCE.

Overall, with everything that was done, I would give it a 4/5 for the new braces, 2/5 for the roof, and a 3/5 for the doors and a 1/5 for the stereo. This is a difficulty scale of 1 being the easiest and 5 the hardest.
I ran into a LOT of issues running all three gussets by UTVInc that should have been bolt N go. In the end, we ended up widening 6 holes (4 on one plate, 2 on another) and cutting a chunk out of another because of steering clearance issues.

The cooter brown roof by EMP was fairly easy. They did not come with any rubber gaskets (only metal), which I thought was kinda stupid, so I added 2 rubber gaskets per bolt to hold the roof (total of 8 rubber gaskets).

The UTVInc doors went on much easier this time since we had a non-tweaked cage to work with. The Stainless steel bolts really make the door panels pop, which is very pleasing. BUT, I am having some occasional issues with the drivers side latch not always catching (really random), and the drivers side vibrates very loud where the door hinge meets the frame. t goes away if I apply pressure by either pushing the whole door assembly either out or in. I can't figure out how to fix this issue since all bolts are as tight as can be.

The Infinity Wakeboard systemm just plain rocks. The volume/power is all controlled by the P A system mic, which is fun in itself shouting at people. This system will get DAMN LOUD too. Very easy to hear over WOT. So I got a full marine system that was super easy to install and use for almost half the cost of any premade roof unit sold by the vendors.

The next thing I plan to tackle (hopefully sooner than later) is to get a suspension seat ordered/installed and get another 4 point harness.

Now on to the other 10k things I have to do: get toy hauler finished up, sell more jeep junk, and RIDE!

·
Premium Member
22,918 Posts
Sorry about the gusset problems ill check into it asap .... if you need some help with the door adjustmment give me a call later today ... Johnny 602-284-2430

1 - 13 of 13 Posts