Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew something was wrong Wednesday on my ride to Booker Hot Springs. My belt was slipping & not allowing me to go any faster than 40 mph in high or 20 mph in low. Normally I can go 84 mph in high & 42 mph in low. When I got home I pulled the clutch cover off & blew the dust out with compressed air. The engine seal behind the primary clutch was leaking oil onto the floor on the clutch housing & out onto the skid plate below. I pulled the belt off (part# 3211202) & washed it in soapy water to get the oil off it. My friends who had to wait for me on the ride looked at the belt & said there was no damage to it. I cleaned the primary & secondary sheaves with brake cleaner to get the oil off them & took the Pro XP for a test ride. The clutch was making a horrible knocking sound so I made an appointment to see the dealer (3 weeks was the soonest). I used my YXZ for the rides on Thursday & Friday. On Sunday I was getting curious as to what was wrong with the Pro XP. What would the dealer say if they saw the clutch & belt looked good? Would they say, “Keep riding it & come back when you can show us something wrong.” ? I decided to take it for another test ride. I got half a mile from my house running at 60 mph when there was a very loud explosion & what looked like yellow cotton & black dust was floating in the air. I popped the clutch cover off & the belt (part# 3211202) had disappeared. The black plastic behind the primary was broken & the inner sheave on the secondary had a one inch warp to it. The spare belt got me back home. Now I have a lot of questions. Is this under warrantee? Am I driving a time bomb? How can a belt & clutch look perfectly good & then explode seconds latter? Will it take 5 or 10 belts to go 10,000 miles? Most cars & trucks go 100,000 miles without needing a belt!

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Your belt was junk after being contaminated with oil causing the extreme belt slippage and major belt damage. Your friend obviously doesn't know how to inspect a belt. Lots of videos online on how to inspect one. Why would you continue to drive with a leaking oil seal or did you replace it before the major belt explosion? I can see a warranty claim for the seal and oil contaminated belt but you knew you had a issue and kept driving anyway resulting in the junk belt grenading causing more damage. Unfortunately that's on you. The reason auto CVT belts last so long is because they are oil bathed metal belts .Did your PXP fall under the clutch spring recall?

·
Premium Member
2,378 Posts
@Coleville As sandfreak said if the engine seal behind the primary was leaking oil ...why would you keep driving it ..no doubt that is your problem. I dont think I would tell the dealer your whole story .

Reactions: RenoProXP

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your belt was junk after being contaminated with oil causing the extreme belt slippage and major belt damage. Your friend obviously doesn't know how to inspect a belt. Lots of videos online on how to inspect one. Why would you continue to drive with a leaking oil seal or did you replace it before the major belt explosion? I can see a warranty claim for the seal and oil contaminated belt but you knew you had a issue and kept driving anyway resulting in the junk belt grenading causing more damage. Unfortunately that's on you. The reason auto CVT belts last so long is because they are oil bathed metal belts .Did your PXP fall under the clutch spring recall?
Thanks sandfreak for helping me understand my belt & clutch. I haven’t put the seal in yet. I has hoping the dealer would do that in a couple weeks. In the meantime I was hoping to figure out what the horrible sounds the clutch was making by testing it. To me it didn’t make sense that with the sheaves & belt clean it would still make a lot of noise. It wasn’t slipping, just loud & broken sounding. I wasn’t worried about the belt. I already had 2,300 miles on it. I had no idea they were like dynamite once they have been compromised. You were right. I dug by self a deeper hole by continuing to use it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Coleville As sandfreak said if the engine seal behind the primary was leaking oil ...why would you keep driving it ..no doubt that is your problem. I dont think I would tell the dealer your whole story .
I was still trying to understand the issue. I didn’t drive it very far, about half a mile. I figured if oil is off the belt & sheaves, why is it still making noise? I already went thru Polaris not believing I had sagging springs 11 months ago only to have them recall them 6 months ago after I already fixed the problem. Same thing with the clutch. They recalled the secondary spring & put a new one in mine. But I am still having clutch problems. I guess when I go to the dealer I don’t want to try & explain a funny sound coming from my clutch. I want them to see the problem & fix it.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
FYI... changing the CVT belt at 1000 miles is good insurance. Actually I think that is the mileage in the manual. Just keep the one removed as a spare, if it looks good. The CVT belt on these machines is a consumable, only good for so long, like brake pads or tires.
The painful expense of a new belt is much better than the pain of an exploded belt.

$100+ at Hunterworks.com for a belt.

I hope you get it all sorted out.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Thanks sandfreak for helping me understand my belt & clutch. I haven’t put the seal in yet. I has hoping the dealer would do that in a couple weeks. In the meantime I was hoping to figure out what the horrible sounds the clutch was making by testing it. To me it didn’t make sense that with the sheaves & belt clean it would still make a lot of noise. It wasn’t slipping, just loud & broken sounding. I wasn’t worried about the belt. I already had 2,300 miles on it. I had no idea they were like dynamite once they have been compromised. You were right. I dug by self a deeper hole by continuing to use it.
2300 miles on a rubber band is pretty darn good. You don't need a belt to see what's going on with your primary. You can start it up and watch what the primary's doing at idle and then at different rpms. Just don't get to crazy incase you do have a clutch issue as you don't want to have to be dodging clutch shrapnel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts