Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all... New to the forum !

I just bought a used, clean title 2014 RZP XP 1000...... Tons of Mods, Great Looking BUT it simply will not run right and I've run out of ideas

Starts great with NO knocking or smoking! Has 1,752 MILES on 145 HOURS

But She tops out at 55-60mph, Seems sluggish all the way through the range, occasionally stalls instead of going back to idle and when driving / on the gas, then letting off to coast - when i go to get back on the gas there is hesitation and at times ZERO power - So, originally, I checked the plugs, they were both Black with dried soot and she certainly smells RICH of Fuel.......

So after lots of research, here is what I've done so far ... (To NO avail)

NEW OEM POLARIS AIR FILTER
NEW OIL & OIL FILTER
NEW ALL-BALLS FUEL PUMP
NEW NGK IRIDIUM PLUGS
NEW SPARK PLUG WIRES
NEW SPARK PLUG WIRING & CONNECTORS
NEW BOSCH MAF SENSOR
NEW WELLER PIGTAIL HARNESS WIRING
NEW 91 FUEL
NEW FUEL CLEANER ADDITIVE
NEW ALBA RACE 91 TUNE

Among many appearance mods... Engine wise, It has a full MUZZY exhaust, with OEM Paper Filter + S&B Particle Separator

I am literally at my wits end with this thing....... :(

This is my 1st RZR so i'm Totally bummed - So ANY help would be truly appreciated !

Jon in AZ

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
5,713 Posts
Check Engine Light On? Any Codes?

Checking fuel pressure would be a good place to start, sounds like leaking or stuck injectors. Fuel Pressure is one of very few things an EFI system takes for granted, so if there's not any codes, I'd highly suspect the fuel system.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi all... New to the forum !

I just bought a used, clean title 2014 RZP XP 1000...... Tons of Mods, Great Looking BUT it simply will not run right and I've run out of ideas

Starts great with NO knocking or smoking! Has 1,752 MILES on 145 HOURS

But She tops out at 55-60mph, Seems sluggish all the way through the range, occasionally stalls instead of going back to idle and when driving / on the gas, then letting off to coast - when i go to get back on the gas there is hesitation and at times ZERO power - So, originally, I checked the plugs, they were both Black with dried soot and she certainly smells RICH of Fuel.......

So after lots of research, here is what I've done so far ... (To NO avail)

NEW OEM POLARIS AIR FILTER
NEW OIL & OIL FILTER
NEW ALL-BALLS FUEL PUMP
NEW NGK IRIDIUM PLUGS
NEW SPARK PLUG WIRES
NEW SPARK PLUG WIRING & CONNECTORS
NEW BOSCH MAF SENSOR
NEW WELLER PIGTAIL HARNESS WIRING
NEW 91 FUEL
NEW FUEL CLEANER ADDITIVE
NEW ALBA RACE 91 TUNE

Among many appearance mods... Engine wise, It has a full MUZZY exhaust, with OEM Paper Filter + S&B Particle Separator

I am literally at my wits end with this thing....... :(

This is my 1st RZR so i'm Totally bummed - So ANY help would be truly appreciated !

Jon in AZ
Maybe a fuel pressure problem ? Plugs make me thing that. Maybe too much if that’s possible ? Or fuel regulator ? Did the problem exist before the tuner ?

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
112 Posts
Valve buckets I had mine changed last year dealership charged about $300. Was doing the same thing.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys ! No codes.....
Not running an O2 sensor to my knowledge
I was thinking fuel problem of some kind too - Smells & Feels like its drowning in gas

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks guys ! No codes.....
Not running an O2 sensor to my knowledge
I was thinking fuel problem of some kind too - Smells & Feels like its drowning in gas
Possibly a injector stuck open? Have any friends with that year and model of rzr ? Pretty easy to swap them out for a test.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
The Lone Rzr
2,401 Posts
No O2 on a 2014
Have you done a compression test?
Valve lash check?
Was it running like that when you bought it?
Did you do the Alba tune before or after it was running bad?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just replaced both injectors and it runs the same. When it was idling, I hit the gas a little bit and it completely died on me. No change in how my runs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No O2 on a 2014
Have you done a compression test?
Valve lash check?
Was it running like that when you bought it?
Did you do the Alba tune before or after it was running bad?
I haven’t don’t a compression test. I don’t know what a valve lash check is. It was running like this when I bought it. I did the Alba time after it was running bad thinking it might be an ECU issue.

·
Registered
393 Posts
1. Check your Compression, just good to know.
2. Air is being blocked from getting into the Motor, Black Plugs means No Air. Maybe someone cleaned the Air Filter and put a Rag in the Intake and forgot to pull it out when they re-installed the Air Filter (I think everyone has done that a few times, I sure have).
3. Maybe the Helicopter thing you have is not blowing Air, I think it is supposed to, check that also. Sorry I can't remember the name but it is part of your Air filter and Yes Keep It.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The top speed and stalling issue sounds like clutch issues to me. You’ll have to invest in clutch tools if you don’t already have them. Top speed can be limited if the spider and / or spider jam nut have backed off In the primary clutch. Stalling when returning to idle indicates a potential issue with flyweights hanging up in the primary clutch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Darn - I wish someone in Tucson could help - Smell's so rich...... Sadly, Being new to this I dont know how to compression test, Air Fuel Test or Clutch check :( I guess i will have to take it to my local RIDENOW

·
The Lone Rzr
2,401 Posts
Noooo NOT ridenow.
You better get the manual out and start reading. This hobby takes a bit of know how to get through the day.
Things like checking or cleaning the clutches and even just changing a belt is basic knowledge.
I do agree it might be the clutches or a combination of motor and clutch.
Not sure if 2014 had the misfire code when the belt starts slipping but it should have thrown that code.
This is just my idea,
Since it doesn't have an O2 sensor and it's running so rich there's nothing to throw a code.
The way you describe it running I'm guessing it's really low on compression and can't burn the gas you're trying to put into it.
Without knowing the history of it you could have a dusted motor. The particle seperator could have been put on at a later time.
Trying to diagnose a motor running over the internet is like trying to figure out this new forum on the first day

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Still no codes....
Intake hoses clear, Air filter NEW and clear, and exhaust pipes clear (Took the MUZZY tips off to see)
ALSO... I just took the belt cover off, Belt looks great - I did notice the large Wheel says 'Team Industries' on it
(It was smelling so rich just now once idleing it stunk my whole garage up with fumes)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE : Just did a compression test... Both at 178PSI at Sea Level Rating... I am in TUC AZ at 2,500ft Above, so 178 / 0.928 = Approx 190PSI........ So the engine is very strong..........

QUESTION : Does anyone have thoughts an the O2 Sensor ?? My 2014 XP1K does NOT have a O2 Sensor, just a metal Bung in the Muzzy exhaust... Could this be the issue (I know this RZR had a Fuel Commander on it at one point) Ive read theymixed comments that they do come with one and that they dont

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Havent checked Fuel Pressure yet..... I have a BRAND NEW All-Balls Pump though with new Gas
Next, I am thinking of buying a Fuel Controller from Alba (To go with my Tune they did)
How the Hek does the ECU know what to do with Fuel if there is no O2 sensor???

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
5,713 Posts
Havent checked Fuel Pressure yet..... I have a BRAND NEW All-Balls Pump though with new Gas
Next, I am thinking of buying a Fuel Controller from Alba (To go with my Tune they did)
How the Hek does the ECU know what to do with Fuel if there is no O2 sensor???
The fuel pump probably isn’t the issue, the possible sticking or leaking injector is, fuel pressure will reflect the issue if it exists.

Closed Loop EFI system, it doesn’t recognize what the a/f ratio actually is, it only calculates what it SHOULD be based on preprogrammed tables considering all other parameters that the ECU is monitoring, it’s a fairly common system.

Is your tune flashed into the ECU? Or is programmed via a programmer?

-Give it a second... it had to go to space and back first ( Sent from the lifeline that is my iPhone XS Max )

1 - 20 of 37 Posts