Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Army Signals Retired
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone mount their Rotopax on the front of their 900 or, has anyone ever tried to mount it on the front bumper?

I'm going to be going on a few 3-5 day rides shortly and want to carry extra fuel. I already have one mounted on the rear frame and on the other side, I have my cooler mounted. I don't want to put the pax in the back on top of the engine in case I burn myself down.

I was looking to see if anyone has modified a rotopax mount to fit on the front bumper in the centre on top of the 'hood'.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does anyone mount their Rotopax on the front of their 900 or, has anyone ever tried to mount it on the front bumper?

I'm going to be going on a few 3-5 day rides shortly and want to carry extra fuel. I already have one mounted on the rear frame and on the other side, I have my cooler mounted. I don't want to put the pax in the back on top of the engine in case I burn myself down.

I was looking to see if anyone has modified a rotopax mount to fit on the front bumper in the centre on top of the 'hood'.
Mike,

I am curious as to how your Rotopax mount ended up.

Did you ever mount the fuel container on the front bumper? Do you have any pictures?

Thanks from Beachville

·
Army Signals Retired
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike,

I am curious as to how your Rotopax mount ended up.

Did you ever mount the fuel container on the front bumper? Do you have any pictures?

Thanks from Beachville
Sorry for the delay Stewbud, still trying to get used to the new format on the site and finding things.

So yes, I did mount the RotoPax on the front but not on the bumper. I used the RotoPax mount and actually mounted it right to the removable hood. I only have this one pic of it but as soon as I remove the cover and tarp for the winter, I'll take better pics of it. I went this route because I also moved the winch from behind the rad to mounting it to a plate on the bumper.

Mike
New cube lights on bumper.jpg bumper winch.jpg bumper winch3.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
How much extra fuel does that carry and do you think it possible to mount a 4 gallon tank on the front in the same fashion or do you feel it would cause issues?

·
Army Signals Retired
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much extra fuel does that carry and do you think it possible to mount a 4 gallon tank on the front in the same fashion or do you feel it would cause issues?
This RotoPax is 1.75gal so it weighs just less than 10 lbs. 4gals weights about 33 lbs, without properly bracing the plastic hood, I think that it would bounce around a lot and possibly break off.
I also have a strap like a seatbelt that I put around the Pax and the hood, from underneath, just to make sure it doesn't go anywhere. For this, I also added at the top of the hood, between the two latches, a flat piece of metal strapping to stiffen up the top of the hood.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was thinking about trying to build some kind of front rack that I can strap fuel too because some of the places I ride fuel is not close at all and walking 100 plus miles is just no fun.

Not even sure how far the 900 Trail can even drive on a tank because I am still installing parts on it. I bought it used and have been busy fixing and upgrading. This summer will be the first time out on it to test range.

I had a Honda Rancher which went about 85 miles and I would just take a pair of 5 gallon fuel cubes that moose used to make, but with this setup I have no clue what to expect yet.

·
Army Signals Retired
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking about trying to build some kind of front rack that I can strap fuel too because some of the places I ride fuel is not close at all and walking 100 plus miles is just no fun.

Not even sure how far the 900 Trail can even drive on a tank because I am still installing parts on it. I bought it used and have been busy fixing and upgrading. This summer will be the first time out on it to test range.

I had a Honda Rancher which went about 85 miles and I would just take a pair of 5 gallon fuel cubes that moose used to make, but with this setup I have no clue what to expect yet.
That was my original idea, to have a rack welded to the bumper, but I couldn't find anyone that had done that or find pictures on google. So what I did was my plan B and so far it's working out pretty good. Because I also carry a RotoPax in the rear, the one the hood is for when we do longer rides or overnighters.

My tank is 36L (9.5 gal). On the trails I go on, mostly old rail bed with a little bit of bush and rock climbing and traveling at the speed between 40 - 60 kms, I can go about 165 kms (75 miles) before I'm down to my last bar. I've never pushed past that because I'm not a fan of a lot of walking anymore...LOL.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry for the delay Stewbud, still trying to get used to the new format on the site and finding things.

So yes, I did mount the RotoPax on the front but not on the bumper. I used the RotoPax mount and actually mounted it right to the removable hood. I only have this one pic of it but as soon as I remove the cover and tarp for the winter, I'll take better pics of it. I went this route because I also moved the winch from behind the rad to mounting it to a plate on the bumper.

Mike
View attachment 641869 View attachment 641870 View attachment 641871
Thanks for those pictures.

I where to carry extra fuel. I don't know if the 1 gallon my atv pals carry would be enough for the 900cc RZR engine.

But carrying too much seems awkward wherever I guess at putting the containers.

I better get some miles on before I determine how much gas I need. I have only driven the RZR 20 km. thus far - picked it up from the dealer in the fall.

Thanks agai!

·
Army Signals Retired
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for those pictures.

I where to carry extra fuel. I don't know if the 1 gallon my atv pals carry would be enough for the 900cc RZR engine.

But carrying too much seems awkward wherever I guess at putting the containers.

I better get some miles on before I determine how much gas I need. I have only driven the RZR 20 km. thus far - picked it up from the dealer in the fall.

Thanks agai!
Well if you don't want to mount it on the front, RotoPax also has brackets that you can mount to the roll cage at the back. This is where I keep my main spare.
RotoPax.jpg

Oh and I did find another pic of the RotoPax bracket I have mounted to the hood. On the underside of the hood, I have a flat piece of metal that measures about 8in high and 12in long.
bumper winch4.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
From reading old posts it seems that the fuel gauge don't seem all too accurate what so ever you may want to do a bit of reading and test it yourself. Maybe start with a full tank and drive 100kl and fill up and do the math to see about how far you can get and carry fuel based on such.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mike,

Thanks for more pictures.

I wonder why did you move your winch from behind the bumper to on the bumper?

I have not gotten stuck enough times to have any winching experience.

·
Army Signals Retired
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for that good info Phazewolf, good to know. And you know, every time I fill it up, there are still 2 bars that look empty, until I start driving for a few kms, then it looks full again. When I'm fueling it up, I rock the machine from side to side to see if that helps but...nope.

·
Army Signals Retired
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mike,

Thanks for more pictures.

I wonder why did you move your winch from behind the bumper to on the bumper?

I have not gotten stuck enough times to have any winching experience.
Well having the winch behind the bumper and behind the rad, it was lower to the ground and hard to see where the cable was being winched back in. That and at the end of a ride, it was hard to clean because of its location. Now by having it up and exposed, it's easier to get at when I need it, it's out of the mud and water and when I spoil it back in, I can make sure it's being evenly placed and not getting binded up on itself. Personal choice I guess. I've had to use it a few times, most for pulling someone else out, and that is where I made that decision from.

·
Registered
41 Posts
In my opinion, a fuel can needs to be well secured and protected from impact to be safe to carry. It appears that your front mounted fuel can is partially anchored using the front removable hood. The can maybe protected from a direct frontal impact, but, it doesn’t appear to be well anchored on the plastic hood. if can mounted to the front does leak / spill fluid, vehicle passengers could be directly exposed. A fuel can mounted to the cage should be inside the envelope of the cage in the event of a rollover. Orientation should be such that the fill cap is in vertical position to minimize potential for leaks. A fire extinguisher should be the first accessory all of us should have.
In my opinion, I think a better location should be pursued.

·
Army Signals Retired
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In my opinion, a fuel can needs to be well secured and protected from impact to be safe to carry. It appears that your front mounted fuel can is partially anchored using the front removable hood. The can maybe protected from a direct frontal impact, but, it doesn’t appear to be well anchored on the plastic hood. if can mounted to the front does leak / spill fluid, vehicle passengers could be directly exposed. A fuel can mounted to the cage should be inside the envelope of the cage in the event of a rollover. Orientation should be such that the fill cap is in vertical position to minimize potential for leaks. A fire extinguisher should be the first accessory all of us should have.
In my opinion, I think a better location should be pursued.
Thank you for your very honest opinion, appreciate the feedback.

In the operator's manual and on videos that I have watched, it is not recommended to have fuel in the trunk space, this is why I have one mounted on the hood, where in the event of a spill, it isn't over any heat source like the engine where a fire may occur. The picture I have of the RotoPax mounted on the cage is an older pic, I have sense relocated it to the right side of the machine (same spot) where the fuel cap is now facing up, I just didn't have a newer picture to show.
20190927_133644.jpg
I used to have both pax mounted to the cage but I took one of the brackets and used it for a mounting plate for my cooler.
Polaris Cooler finished 3.jpg RotoPax bracket.jpg
I think that with the added metal plates on the inside of the hood really does add strength to it. I don't travel at breakneck speed while going over rough terrain which in my opinion minimizes the amount of movement to the pax. I've had it on there for a few months now with no issues.

I do have a fire extinguisher mounted on the inside of the cab for fast and easy access. It also stays cleaner and out of the elements.
20190429_192923.jpg Fire Ext.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts