Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All,

I realize there will likely be no definitive answer to this question and it's a matter of opinion for a lot of folks, but just wondering where you would spend $1500 available dollars to get some more juice out of a '09 RZR. Not sure about a turbo, just due to the cost right now. Can I send it away to be bored out with new pistons and some basic head work for under 2K? Is head work alone worth it (port,polish)?

Basically, I don't think the RZR has enough snot to keep me happy after owning an XP850 quad. I may want to buy something new in a couple years, but don't want to wait for this mystery 850 to come out, along with the likely $14K it will cost right now. I can pick up a nice used '09 RZR for just over 8K. Don't think a Commander is for me. Want something small that's got some grunt for eastern trail riding. I'm not a dune guy. Have never even seen a dune.

I've ridden a couple, but don't currently own one. I also have some Polaris Prospector Pro tracks that I'd like to run in the winter. I can say that they consume HP. Don't think the <50 RZR would like having them on the hubs in the current state.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I am no engine modder but I would think that shipping your eng away and having that work done would run you right up around there.
How bout a simple power commander and exhaust system. You could probably get away with something pretty decent for $1000 and something real nice for $1500.
Either that or look into those performance package kits on sidebysidesports.com
They have some good deals.
I also wouldn't be surprised if someone told you to look into an adjustable clutch kit such as the Dirty Dawg performance one(DDP).
With any of these mods your not going to gain top speed really but I'm sure you'll notice a nice difference in acceleration.....

·
Bigdaddy
20 Posts
MY BUDDY PUT ON MUZZYS .AND HAD HIS ECU DONE AND HIS RZR WILL GO ALOT FASTER THAN MINE .WE BOTH HAVE 09 LE. IF I WANTED MORE POWER AND SPEED . THIS IS THE FIX FOR THE MOMEY:question:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Just checked out that KMS,doesnt' seem like it would really fix the prob because you are using the same air box and that is the majority of the problem. I think the thing w/ the more expensive air box is they have the evacuator valve. I like that grumpy K&N mod that goes in the cutout between the 2 seats. That gay between the 2 seats where the intake is is like a frickin vacuum.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I agree with RZRbound, i have a PCV, FMF slip and it woke up the accelleration alot, i havent done an intake / filter system yet i am running a UNI filter in the stock box and it is of course better than the stock paper filter works good. Just in those 2 if you look at rzrhq i got a good deal on the PCV.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree with RZRbound, i have a PCV, FMF slip and it woke up the accelleration alot, i havent done an intake / filter system yet i am running a UNI filter in the stock box and it is of course better than the stock paper filter works good. Just in those 2 if you look at rzrhq i got a good deal on the PCV.
Just got back from looking at a '09 in awesome condition. It is basically stock aside from a cool 2" lift and a Warn winch. Definitely needs something for a boost, but it's not as bad as I remember. She went OK, but it's no XP850. Man would I love that powerplant in an RZR. My 4wheeler is smokin' fast. I just need to readjust my expectations and realize that it is not a 800lb 4wheeler with 70hp. You just can't compare the two. Kind of hard not to though once you get used to that kind of snot.

I just made the guy an offer and waiting to hear back :) Maybe I'll do something crazy and pick it up tonight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.