Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have googled and read on the forums but have not found quite what I am looking for. I am looking for an intake to replace the stock one on my 2012 rzr4 and the one's I am interested in are UTV Inc, UMP, and the D&L. I have not been able to find much comparison between the UTV and the UMP intakes. They look almost identical from what I can tell other than the cap. What are the main differences between the two and how are they holding up to abuse? Are any of you running the D&L and how does it compare to the others? I am primarily going to be riding in dusty conditions. Thanks in advance for any info!

·
Family, it's about time
1,503 Posts
UTV inc and ump are similar. Big difference is the cap. The UTV inc is a sealed system that is great if you are doing many water crossings or are running snorkels. Fit and finish of UTV inc is better.

I have the ump and have been very pleased with it. UTV inc didn't have theirs out when I bought mine or I would have gone with theirs. I have no experience with the dl air box.

·
I am still 16 in my head!
1,947 Posts
Better jump on the D&L, he is stopping building them. I run two of them, and am very impressed with them. Bummed to know he is not continuing production. I will now have to remember to swap mine out if I replace a rig.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Better jump on the D&L, he is stopping building them. I run two of them, and am very impressed with them. Bummed to know he is not continuing production. I will now have to remember to swap mine out if I replace a rig.
I called the guy at D&L, Super nice guy and he really loves to talk..lol I went ahead and ordered the intake from him. He only lives a couple of hours from me so hopefully it will make it here sometime later this week or early next week. He seems to have a pretty nice product for quite a bit cheaper than the competition. I don't need an aluminum canister or anything that looks nice, I just want something that works and I think this will do the trick.

·
I am still 16 in my head!
1,947 Posts
I called the guy at D&L, Super nice guy and he really loves to talk..lol I went ahead and ordered the intake from him. He only lives a couple of hours from me so hopefully it will make it here sometime later this week or early next week. He seems to have a pretty nice product for quite a bit cheaper than the competition. I don't need an aluminum canister or anything that looks nice, I just want something that works and I think this will do the trick.
Give me a shout, I have a surplus of Filters for them. Ordered a number to get a big discount. I too am in Ok. Also, call Don back and be sure to order some extra Lid Gaskets.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Overkill,

OK, so you have a new intake coming. Good for you.

But, you need to set a routine to inspect the canister housing after every dusty ride.

Remove the filter, shake the dust out of it. Look at the inside, it should be pure white. If there are any dust colored spots or areas, pitch it and put in a new one.

Use a damp cloth to remove all the dust on the inside of the canister.

Look through the canister into the boot between the canister and the throttle body. You may see bit of oil where the engine breather hose connects to the boot. Clean...fabulous. Dusty, you need to remove the boot and clean it in warm soapy water.

Look through that boot to the throttle body, does the inlet end (towards the air canister) have any dust in it? No...great! Yes....not good.

Use a clamp to fully depress the gas pedal, or have someone hold it down. Look through the throttle body? Any signs of a "mud" made from dust and gasoline past the throttle plate? No...great! Yes...you probably need a top end job.

If there is any "mud" present, remove the throttle body and inspect the intake manifold boot and the intake ports. If you find "mud"...bad. Do a compression test to see if things are going bad.

I do this check after every ride. Since failing a motor and starting this procedure, I have some dust on the filter, change it about every fourth ride. I use an LED flashlight and a LED lighted video probe to inspect the whole intake system. Don't want another failed motor!!

I'm also planning, this winter, to move the intake canister up to the driver's side of the bed where I used to carry a gas can. This will make it much easier to do my inspections than the canister wedged up under the bed.

Just some thoughts. Good luck!!

Pirate

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Overkill,

OK, so you have a new intake coming. Good for you.

But, you need to set a routine to inspect the canister housing after every dusty ride.

Remove the filter, shake the dust out of it. Look at the inside, it should be pure white. If there are any dust colored spots or areas, pitch it and put in a new one.

Use a damp cloth to remove all the dust on the inside of the canister.

Look through the canister into the boot between the canister and the throttle body. You may see bit of oil where the engine breather hose connects to the boot. Clean...fabulous. Dusty, you need to remove the boot and clean it in warm soapy water.

Look through that boot to the throttle body, does the inlet end (towards the air canister) have any dust in it? No...great! Yes....not good.

Use a clamp to fully depress the gas pedal, or have someone hold it down. Look through the throttle body? Any signs of a "mud" made from dust and gasoline past the throttle plate? No...great! Yes...you probably need a top end job.

If there is any "mud" present, remove the throttle body and inspect the intake manifold boot and the intake ports. If you find "mud"...bad. Do a compression test to see if things are going bad.

I do this check after every ride. Since failing a motor and starting this procedure, I have some dust on the filter, change it about every fourth ride. I use an LED flashlight and a LED lighted video probe to inspect the whole intake system. Don't want another failed motor!!

I'm also planning, this winter, to move the intake canister up to the driver's side of the bed where I used to carry a gas can. This will make it much easier to do my inspections than the canister wedged up under the bed.

Just some thoughts. Good luck!!

Pirate
Hey thanks for all the info!!

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
You are more than welcome...better to read my boring stuff than ruin a motor. Yup, been there done that!!!

Pirate

1 - 9 of 9 Posts