Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife, who is kind of squeamish, wants to go to Moab next spring but I'm not sure she will appreciate some of the trails, like Hells Revenge, or the 7 mile Rim Trail. How off camber is the section of 7 Mile Rim, that's what freaks her out the most. How does the R&T handle the escalator in Hells Revenge? Any recommendations on rides not too scary for her? Oh yeah, someone told me if it's your first time there it is a good idea to hire a guide to assist on some of the trickier sections...is that a good idea? thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
MOAB has lot's of moderate to hard riding areas. The tougher runs are a real challenge. I was able to watch a couple of RZR's go up Hell's Revenge which helped me see the correct line.
Escalator ate my lunch.
Still had a blast.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
2,165 Posts
Hell's revenge is a cakewalk in a rzr, you don't have to do the optional harder obstacles like the escalator or hell's gate...etc. The escalator is pretty tricky in a 2 seat, I've seen guys catch the line perfect and walk through it, but I've seen many wind up on their lid too. I've done it in both a 2 seat XP 900, and my 4 seat Turbo, it's much easier in the 4 seat lol. 7 mile Rim isn't bad at all, I suppose there's a couple parts that could pucker people up, but it's pretty easy. Top O The world and Fins' N Things are good choices too. Kane Creek as an out and back to hamburger hill would be a good one to start with, it's down in a canyon until that point, so there's not much to consider scary.

As far as a guide goes...if you're not familiar with rock crawling, it will help to have someone show you the line over some things, but I wouldn't say its absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
722 Posts
There is only the one section after Monitor & Merrimack on 7Mile that is "sketchy" but otherwise 7Mile is a blast for scenery, My Top 3 go to trails in Moab.

Fins & Things and Hell's Revenge are easy in a RZR... you'll just be avoiding Hell's Gate, Escalator etc, but still enjoyable trails.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hey Gold Nugget, when you heading out in spring?

I want to go again the last week of March this year. Need to check that Easter Jeep week is not happening. Did that once. . . . never again. Unless you like getting stuck behind 100 Jeeps doing 5MPH.

My wife was skirmish as well when she first went with me. I went everywhere I wanted to go in my TRE and then some. Even went up the Pickle backwards. Its supposed to be a one way trail but, some local UT guys in serious Toyota/Jeep crawlers said they do it all the time so I joined their group. Two people in the group had to use a winch. My TRE made it up the very first almost sheer wall that is a drop off coming down the first try.

My wife can't wait to go back.

If your going the end of march, let me know. I'll hook up with you so you have someone to tag along with. Will make your wife more comfortable to know someone else is going with you if you have never been.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
7 Mile is a fun trail. The Merrimac and Monitor trail that intertwines with 7 miles is fun too. I think 7 Mile was the first trail my wife and I ran in Moab. She drove her 800S and then her 900S a couple of years later. If you stay off the 7-10 rated trails, you won't need a trail guide. I would recommend a good GPS though with the trails loaded. I used BobT's Moab GPS tracks with Back Country Navigator on a Samsung tablet the first time we went with just me and my wife and daughter. Fins 'n things and Hell's revenge can be done in a half day easily. Like others said, just go around Hell's gate, Escalator, the hot tubs and some other obstacles. Most likely you'll get to watch some others attempting those obstacles which is fun. My wife also drove Metal Masher but I had to drive her RZR up a couple of obstacles for her. It take a little getting used to how sticky the "slick rock" is. It's almost like driving on sand paper, your tires will have amazing traction and go up inclines you never thought possible. If you've never been in the dunes, it's really worth trailering over to the White Wash sand dunes for a day.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the replies. We are planning on going sometime the first part of May and then head down to Beaver for the jamboree there. I would like to do the escalator but, honestly, after seeing some of the videos of guys scraping and rolling backwards, I don't want to spend the time or money fixing my TRE. It already has plenty of scrapes and scratches but don't want to chance any damage. Guess I'm a lightweight in my old age. If I had a rental I would definitely do it. I know, sounds pretty dumb doesn't it.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I think I was the only 2 seater to do Escalator in our group last time and that was the first and only time I will do it. I did it about 4 years ago in my JKUR, but only because I had an expert local spotter. Been there, did that, got the videos! Hell's gate is MUCH easier in a SXS vs. a Jeep but still very intimidating the first time.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Went to Moab last year, can't wait to go back. Look up you tube "climbing the escalator Robin Chaffin" Lucky someone up top that was local came and spotted me. We rolled 2 in Moab doing crazy stuff, but after always used a spotter on tough stuff really made a difference and was a lot easier. Recommend disconnecting sway bars also. There are plenty on here to ride with and you will want to go back. Also we stayed @ KOA was pretty nice. Crazy how sticky the rock is and can climb anything, well just about haha

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey Gold Nugget, when you heading out in spring?

I want to go again the last week of March this year. Need to check that Easter Jeep week is not happening. Did that once. . . . never again. Unless you like getting stuck behind 100 Jeeps doing 5MPH.
Good info to know, this was about when I was thinking of going. Not sure I want that much company.

·
Registered
143 Posts
We were planning a trip out next spring as well and realized it was jeep safari week. We are going to push it back to the first week in May instead I believe. Are there any good places to stay outside of camping? I sold my toyhauler and not sure I will have it replaced by the time we go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts