Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
I make at least one trip per year out there. Not many trails I haven't ridden, and only one that I didn't really care for. That was Porcupine Rim. Just a rough, rocky ride and not very entertaining.
For a group of first timers, I have a few trail suggestions.
1 - Seven Mile Rim
2 - Fins n Things
3 - Poison Spider
4 - Hidden Canyon to Bartlett Overlook
5 - Metal Masher to Gemini Bridges and then throw in Little Canyon to finish it off.
These all offer a good taste of Moab slick rock, without anything too extreme. There are plenty of obstacles to challenge you on these trail if you feel up to them, but also bypasses for most of them if you aren't ready to tackle them.
If you like Fins n Things and weren't bothered by anything on that ride, then hit Hells Revenge for a real slick rock experience. They are just a mile or two apart on Sand Flats Road, and you can stage in one spot and ride both. Hells has several steep climbs that are intimidating the first time you ride them, and one very steep down hill that you have to go down. (the Dragons Tail) It's a great ride, but there are many areas that could end badly if you aren't paying attention. It's really not a real difficult or technical trail, but if steep climbs and descents aren't your thing, then it's not the trail for you.
The biggest thing to keep in mind out there is that there is so much traction and grip on the slick rock that you will flip before you lose traction in most cases. I've only been out there on my atv so far, so I'm guessing that it will be much more comfortable climbing the steep stuff in my General. A rope on the front is always a good idea if you want to climb some sketchy stuff. 2-3 people on the end of the rope to keep the front end down will go a long way in helping you up steep obstacles if you want to give them a try. Make sure you carry a lot of water with you as it can be hot and extremely dry out there, even in the spring. We typically go out in April, May and October, and have seen temps in the 80's a few times. It's a great place to ride, nothing like it anywhere else.

·
Registered
286 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Absolutely positively must ride Moab trail: Hells Revenge. Fabulous, scenic. The kind of trail that you remember. Not difficult, but challenging!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Several have mentioned the trails across the highway from your campground and many of those are part of the M&M loop which would be good for what you are describing and you will certainly find it in the trail books mentioned.

The one caution I would throw out is to check with the Moab Visitors Bureau about events going on and plan your vacation around those that might interfere with your riding. In particular Jeep week (usually the week before Easter) makes for very crowded trails as does the Rally on the Rocks sometime in May. Have fun.

·
Registered
220 Posts
2018:
April 24 - May 1: Easter Jeep Safari
May 14 - May 19: Rally on the Rocks
I believe Jeep safari is March 24 to April 1 according to red rock 4 wheelers

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hurrah Pass / Chicken Corners was a good start and has some high speed sections. Metal Masher is more rock crawling with a nice creek section at start. Determination towers is one of my favs as its high speed whoops and has some great burmed corners with a creek bed section. Tons of fun!

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Pritchett Canyon for a first time Moab rider??? I don't think so. Bad idea, unless you don't like the person.

We did it on our first trip to Moab but then again we're not typical. All depends on the skill level of the driver. However, Pritchett Canyon is not for the faint of heart or novice rider. I suppose that's why it rated the hardest trail Moab has to offer :wink

·
Registered
59 Posts
You can easily get to Hey Joe Canyon or Rainbow Terrace down to Ten Mile Wash and hit Secret spire on the way back. You can also make it over to the White Wash sand dunes from where Ten Mile Wash starts. Metal masher is great too.

·
Premium Member
16,003 Posts
if you are like me i pull my utv behind my motor home
so if you are staying in moab street legal is a thing to be
granted more wear on your tires and more gas used but that independence of pleasing your self where to ride is priceless
the town of moab is ten miles south of archview on 191 a major busy road
nothing better than going out to ride and stopping at a eatery before you go back to camp
seven mile rim is a really good trail for a starter trail near archview
just don,t do what i did go down wipeout and realise i,d gotta get back up the same way
the arches national park i went and saw them could,nt care less if i ever went back again imho cool looking but unbelievable hot take loads of water, we went with a another couple of members that day in their truck street legal atv or utv,s are not allowed to ride in the utah national parks

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Hwy 191 in it's entirety is considered a single lane highway with multiple passing lanes and yes you can ride from Archview to town as well as the river road east bound on 128 to Onion Creek or south bound to Poison Spider.

When do you plan on being there this spring? ROTR time? Later? Let me know and I may go ride with you.

We just had 10" of snow right before Christmas, as well as some on Saturday evening, that is a lot for Moab. Winter is usually 2-3 months tops and then you can expect sun and spring rains.

You will enjoy all of it! :smile

I also have trailers if anyone needs to trailer to any trail. Could possibly arrange a tow for some as well.

http://www.rzrforums.net/southwest-arizona/467666-not-street-legal-moab-i-have-solution.html

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
if you are like me i pull my utv behind my motor home
so if you are staying in moab street legal is a thing to be
granted more wear on your tires and more gas used but that independence of pleasing your self where to ride is priceless
the town of moab is ten miles south of archview on 191 a major busy road
nothing better than going out to ride and stopping at a eatery before you go back to camp
seven mile rim is a really good trail for a starter trail near archview
just don,t do what i did go down wipeout and realise i,d gotta get back up the same way
the arches national park i went and saw them could,nt care less if i ever went back again imho cool looking but unbelievable hot take loads of water, we went with a another couple of members that day in their truck street legal atv or utv,s are not allowed to ride in the utah national parks
Are you going to be able to come this year? What about Trashpicker and Rotzilla?

I would enjoy having you guys this year! ROTR should be a blast if you can make that time.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thanks for all the input’s on the trails. I will be there for ROTR. Buddy and I are registered for Fin-N-Things on Wednesday and Hells Revenge on Thursday. Based on how well that turns out we will explore some of the trails around Archview or other trails. After watching some of the trails on YouTube I went ahead and put on a full Factory UTV skid plate and A arm/trailing arm guards. This trip is getting pricey and we haven’t even gotten there yet! Once again, thanks for the input and we look forward to meeting a lot of you out there.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Thanks for all the input’s on the trails. I will be there for ROTR. Buddy and I are registered for Fin-N-Things on Wednesday and Hells Revenge on Thursday. Based on how well that turns out we will explore some of the trails around Archview or other trails. After watching some of the trails on YouTube I went ahead and put on a full Factory UTV skid plate and A arm/trailing arm guards. This trip is getting pricey and we haven’t even gotten there yet! Once again, thanks for the input and we look forward to meeting a lot of you out there.
Nice job on the FactoryUTV skid!! They are fantastic! Hopefully we can meet up at the rally! I could go ride the trails up north with you if you would like. We could go try "Pickle"! :devil

21 - 40 of 55 Posts