Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Keep the Shiny Side UP!!!
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for advice to improve diesel mileage on my truck. Its an '06 Dodge 2500 ST 5.9 4x4 with 4.5" lift and 35x13.50x18's on it. It has 26,000 miles on it and I average (checked by hand calculations) 11-13 mpg. I've installed a Edge Mileage Max with mixed results. I've taken into count the large dia tires etc... I've had it at the dealer several times and they just tell me its not broke in yet. I bought 3 identical trucks at the same time, and my personal one just doesn't seem to be doing as well as the others. Its the only one lifted, but I've read of guys that get 20+ with lifted Dodges. Anyway, thought you might be able to help.

Also do you sell N-Fab nerf steps? or similar?

Thanks, Troy

·
Premium Member
10,032 Posts
I'm looking for advice to improve diesel mileage on my truck. Its an '06 Dodge 2500 ST 5.9 4x4 with 4.5" lift and 35x13.50x18's on it. It has 26,000 miles on it and I average (checked by hand calculations) 11-13 mpg. I've installed a Edge Mileage Max with mixed results. I've taken into count the large dia tires etc... I've had it at the dealer several times and they just tell me its not broke in yet. I bought 3 identical trucks at the same time, and my personal one just doesn't seem to be doing as well as the others. Its the only one lifted, but I've read of guys that get 20+ with lifted Dodges. Anyway, thought you might be able to help.

Also do you sell N-Fab nerf steps? or similar?

Thanks, Troy
The lift isn't the main prob. it's the tires.. one of my trucks went from 16 to 9 with those tires,,, that's the price you pay to look good...

·
Registered
319 Posts
first off yeah they need to break in a bit before you start getting those awesome numbers. but also take into consideration that when most guys go big with lift and tires they also do gears too. 35's in my opinion aren’t really big enough to do gears (it would help but that’s a lot of money for a small increase.. now if you did 37’s or bigger I would say it’s a must) but with the 35’s you will notice a loss in power and mileage so that’s part of it. intakes and programmers will 98% of the time hurt mileage, but gain power. the best thing you can do is a nice 4" exhaust (either straight pipe, or something hi-flow like banks/magnaflow/B&B etc.. Exhaust will never hurt mileage or performance and it will drop you EGT quit a bit. I customize cars for a living so this is my forte'... if you have any other questions please let me know.

·
Registered
319 Posts
"Also do you sell N-Fab nerf steps? or similar?"

sorry i didn’t get that?? who are you asking? N-Fab makes some good stuff, they have had some powder coat issues the past couple months...though think they finally got it right. also look into the AMP research boards but your gonna spend some good money. or look into SRC (smitty built) they have step rails similar to N-Fab.

·
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Also do you sell N-Fab nerf steps? or similar?"

sorry i didn’t get that?? who are you asking? N-Fab makes some good stuff, they have had some powder coat issues the past couple months...though think they finally got it right. also look into the AMP research boards but your gonna spend some good money. or look into SRC (smitty built) they have step rails similar to N-Fab.

Oh, I was asking Strictly Diesel who is a site vendor, on the nerf steps, I thought maybe they sold N-Fab or something similar.... I was getting ready to order nerf steps from 4wheelparts.com within the next few days. Also on the Smitty website they list the same N-Fab steps, I've been researching this for awhile:

Nerf Step - Smittybilt

Thinking they must be the same as N-Fab or N-Fab makes them for Smitty...??? You might know more.

Regarding the tires/mileage, I run Nitto Terra grapplers and adding the lift is exactly what the dealers said is the culprit... which I don't believe them on past experiences. These are the first 3rd Gen dodge diesels I've run. I can see a few miles/gallon difference, but not 11, before the lift we've not made better than 13.5 highway. There have been many documented lifted Cummins in Diesel Power Mag building 400 hp and getting ~20 mpg, w/out propane. On the highway my mileage should increase due to the gear ratio difference with the tire diameter and helped the engine run at the peak of the torque curve at 70 mph vs. 55-60...?

Thanks for the help. Troy

·
Registered
319 Posts
yeah the lift itself has nothing to do with the mileage (besides wind drag..lol).. but normally a lifted truck means bigger wheels/tires. Yeah once you get rolling in theory the size (gear ratio) should help with MPG but you also have to account for tire & wheel rotating mass.. and more drag from the larger tire. I agree that you should be getting better than 11 with just 35's but try an exhaust (though its not going to help pick up 11MPG).

and most those trucks in the magazines do every little thing...like gears.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You are driving the next to worse truck configuration for good mileage (only the one ton with duel wheels is worse).

4X4, lift, wide tall tires are mileage killers. When the cummins gets 126,000 miles on it the mileage will increase.

What I recommend after owning 4 dodges with the cummins is to just enjoy the power and put a raw egg under the skinney pedal.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Run your tire pressure at the max psi and that will help.

·
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, I'm doing that now. I wonder if the Nittos just have a lot of rolling resistance too, at 13.50" wide. I think my next tires will be 12.50's.

Checked my mileage yesterday 13.9 mpg which is the best so far. That is highway/city combined, mostly highway. No too bad I guess... just hoping for better. Although Diesel prices have plummeted here, now under 2 bucks, so its not a big issue right now.

I thought there might be some tips or tricks to improve mileage.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Kustom, thanks for the help on this...

Troybuilt, you have some issues for sure.... the lift and tires will kill mileage there is no way around it...

Ways to improve it ( and I see you have done some of this already...)
tire psi at proper levels,
Air filter maintanance.... do you have a high flow intake yet...?
exhaust As stated though it won't improve it leaps and bounds but will help keep exhaust temps down.
fuel filter maintanance... at 26,000 have you done one yet?
Is the speedo calibrated for your tires?!?!?!?!?!?
light foot on go pedal.

Please keep in mind also that, running boards will also add to the fuel mileage problem...
more wind drag and resistance going down the road..

I do not do running boards everyday, but if that is what you want I am sure I can get them...

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you..
If need be please call us, or pm me for any other answers to your questions.

Thanks

·
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Troybuilt, you have some issues for sure.... the lift and tires will kill mileage there is no way around it...

exhaust As stated though it won't improve it leaps and bounds but will help keep exhaust temps down.
light foot on go pedal.

Please keep in mind also that, running boards will also add to the fuel mileage problem...

I do not do running boards everyday, but if that is what you want I am sure I can get them...

Thanks

Diesel6.7, I appreciate the help, its probably hopeless.:sad:

Yea, I've had the speedo recalibrated at the dealer, its close but not quite right. I have figured its off by 7%, and figured that into the mileage calculations. I need to get a better programmer for sure to calibrate for the 35" tires.

Speaking of which do you prefer one programmer over the other? Banks, Edge, Bullydog, etc... How will the tranny hold up with the extra power? I went thru 2 autos in my '02 Dodge and it was bone stock. Which exhaust should I get? I don't want anything too loud.

No, I don't have a high flow intake.

I had the dealer change the fuel filter at 10k-ish so it has been awhile. I'll try and do that this weekend. Is there 2 of them on this truck or something, or just one?

·
Premium Member
14 Posts

light foot on go pedal.

Thanks

Diesel6.7, I appreciate the help, its probably hopeless.:sad:

Yea, I've had the speedo recalibrated at the dealer, its close but not quite right. I have figured its off by 7%, and figured that into the mileage calculations. I need to get a better programmer for sure to calibrate for the 35" tires.

Speaking of which do you prefer one programmer over the other? Banks, Edge, Bullydog, etc... How will the tranny hold up with the extra power? I went thru 2 autos in my '02 Dodge and it was bone stock. Which exhaust should I get? I don't want anything too loud.

No, I don't have a high flow intake.

I had the dealer change the fuel filter at 10k-ish so it has been awhile. I'll try and do that this weekend. Is there 2 of them on this truck or something, or just one?
I like the edge, and bully dog on the dodges, although Superchips makes a great programmer specifically for oversize tires, I would imagine that it can get you alot closer than what the dealer did...

yes , please do the fuel filter, should be every 15k....

The transmission on your 06, although closely related to your 02 is imho, a lot better trans than your old trucks "taken care of" it should last just fine if the power is not turned up to much...

keep in mind as well... more power= less fuel mileage... in most cases...

·
Banned
282 Posts
"keep in mind as well... more power= less fuel mileage... in most cases..."

Well I have an 08 F350 and run a Spartan Diesel 275 hp tune and fuel mileage goes up when you increase horsepower!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Troybilt, I got a '07 3500 5.9L w/373 gears; brand new I got about 750km to a tank. At 20000km I put on a Diablosport Predator programmer, Airraid cold air intake, AFE intake maifold and MBRP 4" exhaust. At 60mph on the highway it now gets over 1100km to a tank...it has 145000 on it now and still has tons of jam and sweet mileage. The top setting on the programmer(with everything else) puts around 450HP to the ground so it'll eat a tranny pretty quick, lol. But if you leave it down around 100HP then you'll be alright.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.