Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced 3 right rear inside boots and it looks like another one is leaking grease. I even had a boot melt. I have areas where I do 45-50 mph for long stretches at a time. Or I might trail ride about 30 mph for 30-45 minutes. These rides are on pretty warm days. The RR inside CV joint gets hotter than a fresh ****** fox in a forest fire! The conclusion I came up with is the motor gets extremely hot in those conditions and the CV joint and being only foot behind the motor that gets all the heat off the motor. The left rear gets pretty hot but not like the right rear. My wife's Sportsman 800 rear CV joints barely get warm but the motor is far ahead of them. Guess I am going to figure out some heat shields or start taking more rest stops. Any ideas or suggestions?

H

·
0 Posts
Could there be a CV joint or differential problem causing the heat? Reason I suggest that is if it was motor heat..I think we'd here about more of them melting..is this common?
Also if it was external heat getting the boot hot enough to melt I'd think you would have issues with surrounding parts...like the shock blowing seals or something?
Cruising at those speeds even on a hot day the airflow would keep the engine heat from being and issue..I'd look for another cause,maybe excessive friction in the CV joint causing to get hot? Maybe try riding it like you are talking about and use a laser temp gun to check the temps of different things in that area...if the other parts,diff ect around the CV aren't getting as hot as the CV then that would narrow it down right?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I live in las vegas ride in summer never melted one , what mods do you have on suspionsion? have you been cleaning out old grease and putting in the right amount of new grease?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No lift kit in the rear. I put in a new Stock axle the first time it happened. Re-boot the old axle and carry a spare as I leave the RZR at our summer place. In three years I would suspect something else would have taken a dump if there was something mechanical wrong with the rear end. It was an after market boot that melted and cant remember the manufacture. I have a laser temp meter but never thought to use it. Believe me the CV joint gets so hot you cant hold your finger on it. If you ride long extended periods at a fast pace check yours and get back to me. Just short, slow trail rides I have no complaints at all.
on edit: I have sold and serviced Polaris ATV's since "87" and never had a problem like this. Have done dozens of boot replacements and clean and put in the proper amount of grease every time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
500km on mine, not overly hard driving and Ive just noticed that my right rear inner boot has a pinhole in it somewhere, after a drive I have a little pile of grease on the bar below...not sure if this is a common problem....I have a 2" lift in mine...anyone else with a lift and boot problems?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Both of my rear boots are also leaking grease and I cant see were it is coming from,I will wipe them clean and in a couple hours there full of grease!! WTF?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts