Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

Michigan trail question

5K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Loose Bolts 
#1 ·
Hello all!

The wife and I recently moved to Michigan and would like to purchase a 900 rzr to do some trail riding up north. The question I have is what width rzr would be best?

If I get one larger than 50" wide, how limited will my riding be? I'm assuming that our riding will mostly be simple trails. I really do see us doing much flat out riding.

Any input is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#3 ·
The problem with the Michigan 50” trails is they are more like 46-48” trails, very tight on a rzr, I took my ACE on many of them and it was ridiculously tight. Stumps and branches in the way, super tight turns. So I’d just go with a wider machine, you’ll find plenty of places to ride it, it will be more stable too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I agree with Loose. Don’t even think about riding atv trails unless you want two small ATVS. I’ve had two-up atv’s and its a pain to get around on those trails.

I have owned a 570 and now the 900 trail. I prefer the smaller sxs so I can haul it in the back of my truck. If you’re going to haul it in a trailer I’d probably go with a 1000 xp. I’ve never ridden one, but I’ve never heard of anyone downsizing. I hear they have a much better ride. Most orv routes are plenty big for full size orv.

FYI. My experience is with riding Baldwin area and eastern UP.

#6 ·
Just thought of something about the trails in the eastern UP. Some of them have gates that restrict anything under 65”. When I go through them with my 900 trail I sometimes wonder when I’m gonna scrape the side. I haven’t yet!

I see the rzr 1000 xp is 64” stock. Just something to think about in that area.

#7 ·
I struggled with the same question but I just couldn't see myself being happy with a 50" machine. I went with a Turbo XP and it is perfect for the ORV routes. I went riding today up in Lincoln Hills, Irons, Little Manistee area. Plenty of great trails in MI to accommodate the 64" wide machines. In most counties in the northern part of the state you can ride the forest roads as well.

#8 ·
I specifically went 50" because Michigan has so many restricted trails and have enjoyed riding them for years on dirt bikes/quads. The Atlanta trail system is the only trail I struggled to navigate due to the machines size. All others I've visited (Gladwyn, St. Helen, Rose City, Mio) the width has been perfect. I have no regrets going with the 50" machine.

#9 ·
Have put over 6000 miles a 64" machine. All in northern Michigan. I would have nothing less than a 64".

#10 ·
Thought I'd update this thread.

I purchased a 2013 900XP LE last weekend. While I was really leaning toward a Trail, it's came down to price. I got a good deal on the XP.

I'm installing a set of pro armour harnesses tomorrow. Maybe this weekend I'll be able to hit up Bundy Hill if the weather cooperates.

Anyone suggest a trail a few hours north of Dundee?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#13 ·
What??? That cannot be right, they might mean less or below 30 degrees... they toss a fit if you’re on snowmobile trails in Michigan in the winter even without snow, they’re real babies about it. I understand it to a point but the trails aren’t marked well. Basically I avoid riding from November - April on any public lands.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.