Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

Michigan Sales Tax/Registration on Used RZR

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  03tjsport 
#1 ·
Hello -

I am buying a used RZR and live in IL, but have a house in Michigan. I know in IL, I will pay my local sales tax rate for my county and get a title on the purchase price. I can't find what they calculate the purchase price on for a RZR in Michigan. I believe the sales tax is 6%, but not sure if they go off the sale price on my private party bill of sale or some new MSRP price. It appears for cars that they actually tax a used car based upon either new MSRP or a common used price.

Anyone purchase a used RZR in Michigan from a private party and can shed any light? I am buying a 2019 RZR, if the year matters.

Thanks,

Tom

#2 ·
I am no tax expert but here is my experience. Having bought a used car in Michigan they base the 6% sales tax on the sale price you pay. When I went to register the vehicle (did this in 2013) I had to pay the tax on the spot (whatever was written on the prior owner's title). This is a honor system, can they audit and contact the former owner? Sure. Registration renewal on the other hand for on road vehicles is based on some depreciated average price.

The only ORV I bought was from a dealer; have not bought used. And again that was based on the price at point of sale. I would imagine used would be no different but never did a title issue for an ORV, only an On road vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.