Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

Michigan ORV Speed Limits

9K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  RZRPLAYER 
#1 ·
It's clear that Michigan says the speed limit for ORVs is 25mph on roads and I periodically see signs on paved roads (obviously not US or M roads, those are clearly off limits) that say so. I'm curious of people's experiences:

1. Does the 25mph speed limit apply to even county roads, unmaintained "seasonal roads" and such?
2. Have you seen the speed limit enforced? Not suggesting riding thru town at unreasonable speeds, but more curious about wide open country roads where vehicles have a 55mph speed limit.
3. Are speeding violations on ORVs treated like automobiles (fine & points).

I'm not advocating doing anything illegal, just curious peoples experiences. I fully support responsible riding to ensure we keep our hobby going. Thank you.

#2 ·
Mtdave~

Unless your ATV/UTV is Michigan State Licensed and Insured by Michigan SOS going over 25mph will you get a ticket! John Q Public will turn you into the law very quickly.. Nobody wants an UTV speeding down the our county's roads. Now upon stating that I will also tell you the Northern Half of the Lower Peninsula of Michigan is "mostly open" to ATV/UTV to ride on county roads. Also the whole Upper Peninsula of Michigan is open to ATV/UTV's on the county roads. There are exceptions. The Southern Half of Michigan not so friendly to Offroaders. There are also Forest Roads and State Forests open to two trackers as long as they stay on the ORV Trails and Routes. Each county and its villages or towns have different laws regarding Offroading. Its the responsibility of the driver to know those laws. Playing dumb will probably get you a ticket. The Grayling area has an Air Force Base inside the county of Crawford that is a "No Go Area". To my knowledge it is Posted so obeying the signs will keep you out of trouble. Different Northern Michigan Counties have different speed limits. Some as low as 20 mph, most are 25 mph except through towns which have lower posted speed limits. Anything over 25 mph could get you a ticket! County speed limits "trumps" the 25 mph State limit.

Yes getting an ORV ticket goes on your driver license.

Safe riding Everyone!

#3 · (Edited)
from an undisclosed location in the UP:

ben coming up here for 40 years. If you are respectful, particularly if you are known, you can basically run auto speed limits and go pretty much anywhere. Staying off state highways is pretty much a “must do”, for the state guys are pretty inflexible. dnr, local, sheriff, etc care more about your attitude. Run some loud around and piss off the locals? You get no leeway at best. Tip well, be polite, wave at the locals, and life is pretty simple.

And stay out of Wisconsin.

Reactions: Arcticzale
#4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I've been fortunate enough to have ridden in the U.P. for many years and have enjoyed every trip. I ask about speed limits after seeing a wide range of behaviors. The risk of driving 25mph on a 55mph County Rd leaves me avoiding traveling many places. However, there seems to be a disconnect regarding the speeds on seasonal roads, many of which double as snowmobile trails. Snowmobile travel is almost always higher than 25mph in these areas. Does this somewhat "universal" 25mph limit apply to trails and/or seasonal roads as well? Are snowmobiles treated differently than ORVs?

I'm just looking to be educated about the law. I'd never suggest speeding and I'm aware there are bad actors out there that cause problems and others that are quick to call the law on others. I'm just not clear when it's OK to ride over 25mph in Michigan (on public land).

#5 ·
I have passed a county cop on a side road and I was going around 45, he never looked twice. But also this year we went from a trail to a county dirt road to get back onto trail. “ the road was part of the trail system”, and there was a DNR officer hiding in the trees. I was fine, the next guy was fine. But the third guy wasn’t so fine. He was playing catch up to not miss the turn. A ticket to the tune of 250$. There were a few house on the road and he was going a clocked 66mph. So I get it. I’m sure the people get sick of the noise and the dust. I would. But man was the DNR a dick!! He did everything short of pull his gun. It’s a damn good thing I stopped at a intersection in the trail to make sure I was heading the right way or we would have kept on going. Then the DNR would have really been pissed. We didn’t know he was after us till he came flying up with lights and siren. If I wouldn’t have stoped there was no way he was catching up to us, not in a pickup truck. He probably would have called in air support. Lol.

#6 ·
btw, I understand the laws of what roads u can be on vary by county.

#7 ·
Good information here. I am in Michigan (Clarkston) and brand new to the sport. Going to look at a few this week. I was curious about how pissy the DNR would be. I have been the St. Helen trails up to Grayling in both Jeeps and dune buggies and we never had any issues. That said we were always going at a "reasonable" speed. Add the RZR and I'm sure the speeds could easily get fast. Thanks for posting!

#8 · (Edited)
binfordtools, I'm curious too. I'm surprised how vague the information is, or at least what I can find. I've ridden Snowmobiles for years and always followed this:

Snowmobiles:
"A person shall not operate a snowmobile: ...At a rate of speed greater than is reasonable for existing conditions... " (DNR - Michigan Snowmobile Regulations)

For ORVs, I've found this:

ORV:
"An ORV may not be operated: ...At a rate of speed greater than is reasonable and proper based on existing conditions..." (https://www.offroad-ed.com/assets/pdf/handbook/mi_handbook_entire.pdf - See Page 26)

While the 25MPH limit IS clear for county roads, it's not clear where all this applies. Where does the "Reasonable Speed trump the 25MPH limit? Seasonal Roads? Marked Snowmobile/ORV Routes?

Welcome to the hobby. While I've ridden Snowmobiles and Dual-Sport Dirt Bikes for many years, I'm reasonably new to the Side-by-Side hobby. Like you suggested, I've found it very easy to obtain speeds over 25MPH on seasonal roads while being well within reasonable limits. This is the reason I'm curious to learn more about the laws.

#9 ·
My rzr isn't a rzr anymore.

After 18 months (COVID) of converting and dealing with Sheriff's and Michigan SOS the rzr turned into a Titled Assembled Pickup Truck.

It has a Michigan Truck Title and legal License Plates & Michigan Registration. It's was converted via DOT parts and has a newly acquired Michigan VIN. It's also ORV registered and permit stickers applied. The original Polaris VIN is still on the frame. The new MI VIN is a decal stuck on the frame crossmember under the hood.

I am permitted by Michigan Law to travel on highways and roads except Interstate Highways. I am also legally able to travel at posted speeds. The biggest most painful problem was the LEGAL EMERGENCY BRAKE install. Separate mechanical calibers on the rear wheels operated by cable. You can not use the original calibers as part of the emergency brake system. Those items that fit on your brake petal aren't legal.

I have drove on Wisconsin State Highways in Bayfield County and Bayfield city. No problems. Never been stopped via cops in Michigan. Prolonged highway speeds 55-62mph doesn't seem to hurt it, the engine temp stays around 178°F. The original belt has 2800 miles on it and seems ok. It's a 2019 900 EPS Trail. Terrabites tires 12" rims, balanced and 18psi.

I believe you have to be a full time resident of Michigan inorder to qualify for MICHIGAN SOS "TR54 LAW"
It's the best of both worlds... 50 Inch trails and state legal highway use.

Oh, it's expensive to do..

Keep your receipts!! You may need them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.