Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Signed into law on 12-31-18. Allows for side by sides to be registered and plated for road usage. Certain equipment must be installed and in working order.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Per Michigan Legislature - House Bill 5639 (2018)

The People of the State of Michigan enact:
Sec. 217i. (1) Notwithstanding any other provision of this act, the secretary of state shall, upon an applicant’s
payment of the proper fees and submission of all documentation required by the secretary of state, issue a vehicle
identification number in the same manner as provided in section 230 and a certificate of title to an assembled vehicle
that satisfies all applicable requirements of this act, if the assembled vehicle contains all of the following equipment:
(a) Headlights. As used in this subdivision, “headlights” includes 1 headlight on each side, and high- and low-beam
headlights.
(368)

(b) Front and rear turn signals.
(c) At least 1 taillight. If the vehicle is equipped with 2 taillights, both taillights shall be in working order.
(d) Registration plate light.
(e) Brake lights.
(f) Horn.
(g) Bright light indicator.
(h) Windshield wipers.
(i) Windshield washers.
(j) Brake equipment as required under section 705.
(k) Safety belts. This subdivision only applies to 1965 and newer model vehicles.
(l) Safety glass windshield. The windshield required under this subdivision shall not be made of plexiglass, shall be
of a sufficient size to protect the driver of the vehicle and passengers, shall be free of any cracks or obstructions, and
shall be made of a transparent material.
(m) Except as otherwise provided in subdivision (n), adjustable outside rearview mirror on the driver’s side.
(n) Outside rearview mirror on each side of the vehicle. This subdivision only applies to a truck with a half-ton or
more capacity.
(o) Bumpers. This subdivision only applies to a passenger vehicle. The bumpers required under this subdivision shall
be between 14 and 22 inches above the ground when the vehicle is not in 4-wheel drive.
(p) Tires. The tires required by this subdivision shall have 2/32-inch tread, shall not have exposed cord or tread
separation, and shall be approved for use by the United States Department of Transportation.
(q) Exhaust. The exhaust required by this subdivision shall be in good working order and shall not produce excessive
noise. If the original design of the exhaust included a tailpipe and resonator, the exhaust shall include a tailpipe and
resonator.
(r) Differential gear.
(2) The department of state police shall conduct a safety study for the period beginning on January 1, 2019 and
ending on December 31, 2020 of vehicles for which a vehicle identification number and certificate of title may be issued
under this section. The safety study shall include all of the following:
(a) The number of traffic crash fatalities occurring on public roadways that involved 1 or more of the vehicles
described in this section.
(b) The number of serious injuries sustained in traffic crashes occurring on public roadways that involved 1 or more
of the vehicles described in this section.
(c) Any other relevant safety data gathered during the period of the study.
(d) Any safety recommendations that the department of state police believes will help increase traffic safety for the
vehicles described in this section.
(3) The study required under subsection (2) shall be filed with the governor, the senate majority leader, and the
speaker of the house of representatives no later than April 1, 2021.
(4) As used in this section and subject to subsection (3), “assembled vehicle” means 1 or more of the following:
(a) A vehicle that is built from new or used materials or parts by a person not recognized as a manufacturer.
(b) A vehicle that has been altered or modified to the extent that it no longer reflects its original manufacturer
configuration.
(c) A vehicle that has had its body replaced with a different style of body unit from another vehicle.
(d) A vehicle that has been assembled from a kit.
(e) An off-road vehicle, regardless of whether the original manufacturer’s certificate of origin specifies that the
vehicle is an off-road vehicle.
(5) As used in this section, “assembled vehicle” does not include either of the following:
(a) A military surplus vehicle designated by the federal government as off-road use only.
(b) A gray market off-road minitruck.
(c) An all-terrain vehicle that has 4 wheels and is equipped with a straddle seat.
Enacting section 1. This amendatory act takes effect 90 days after the date it is enacted into law.

This act is ordered to take immediate effect

·
The Lone Rzr
2,223 Posts
They didn't leave much out
Looks like full glass windshields and wipers are going to be selling quick
DOT tires
And differential gear

·
Registered
309 Posts
Wow - too much stuff required. It should need no more than a street legal dual sport motorcycle. The windshield, wiper requirement is too much.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow - too much stuff required. It should need no more than a street legal dual sport motorcycle. The windshield, wiper requirement is too much.
I agree somewhat. A lot of hoops to jump through, then trying to get a decent price for insurance adds to it. As nice as it would be to have it road legal, I don’t see myself going through the trouble or expense. Maybe if I lived closer to work and could use it for commuting.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I did this all once a few years back (2014), it sucked and cost me tons of money. I enjoyed adding the modifications but dealing with the DMV was like driving a nail slowly into my head. The entire process from when I first applied to actually getting the new plate took 7 months. I found a good cop to sign off on everything so that went well. I had all the parts on in a few weeks so that was easy too. I used a hand crank windshield wiper to save on funds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah...the “differential gear” thing rules me out. I ride exclusively in the U.P. anyway so not being street legal isn’t much of an inconvenience. Hopefully it works out for others though.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yeah...the “differential gear” thing rules me out. I ride exclusively in the U.P. anyway so not being street legal isn’t much of an inconvenience. Hopefully it works out for others though.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

We have differentials right?

Because otherwise the kits are $150-$300, plus windshield, (washer fluid dispenser too i think), mirrors, and DOT tires.

Im super excited about this if its that simply. Im looking at Street legal kits right now

·
Registered
55 Posts
I never heard of UTVs being checked for 'differential gear's during TR54 inspections when Michigan used to register prior to 2015's ban. We have a differential with gears in it . . .

·
Registered
293 Posts
the hardest part could be finding affordable insurance. As stated the rest isn't too bad. I think the differential part is a non issue I believe since all sXs have one

·
Registered
8 Posts
My guess is the differential thing is to thwart people from registering go-carts and quads as street legal. Most sxs’s have a differential. I wonder if any money from Mahindra is behind this bill to allow the Roxor to get plated? They are a huge company with very deep pockets and the Roxor is being assembled in Michigan.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I’m happy this is legal again, BUT it stills seems ridiculous to have so many requirements compared to other states. While I can go buy a stock motorcycle that will go 200 mph and I’m not required to wear a helmet. Wtf?!

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is super news! Congrats to the bill's sponsors.

PA240 and the state's opening of the northern lower helped but still very restrictive. Not to speak of trying to ride across fed land.

Where's the best place find out when the plating process is ready? I honestly have no idea.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Where's the best place find out when the plating process is ready? I honestly have no idea.
It takes 90 days from when law was signed and it has been signed. So less then 90 days from now we should be able to get legal. You need to take your machine and TR-54 paperwork to a police officer to inspect. Then take your title, insurance and TR-54 to Secretary of State. I don't know when you can start doing that. I'll have my kit installed by the end of February and will start calling SOS and local police department for more info.

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/TR-54_38480_7.pdf
https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1585_1587_1588-25476--,00.html

1 - 20 of 148 Posts