Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

Michigan 50" trails or Not

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  DownriverRZR 
#1 ·
I have a place in West Branch, Michigan and have a couple ATV's where I ride on my land and venture out on the trails nearby and to St. Helens. I am ready to step up to a SXS and am in the process of research not only the right machine for myself but what I want to ride on. I am at that juncture many have gotten to and that to get a machine which can ride on the narrow 50" trails or open it up on the routes and larger width venues. I enjoy the craggy switchbacks and plentiful 50" trails yet on the downside to get a 50" SXS makes for a cramped ride, I suspect. I am 6'4" and have yet to sit in some of the narrow trail machines yet anticipate the space limitation may get old real quick. I really like the space in the new crop of 64" SXS's as well as having more choice in machines. While I can ride my machines on the county roads north of West Branch to get to the trailheads, 2 miles away, the wider routes in the area are few until I get to the St Helen motor sports park and then inside the park, there are many 50" trails but a fair amount of wide trails and af course the sand hills. I plan on traveling with my new machine(s) with a covered trailer so can avail myself with the various trail systems and open area parks through out Michigan and the UP. In Oakland County where I live a new ATV/UTV/ORV park opened up, Holly Oaks which looks intriquing and I am aware of a large park around Jackson and of course the Silver Lajes Dunes and several others all of which are designed for the larger width machines.

I would appreciate it if riders who faced this same predicament on selecting a machine for the 50" trails or Not chime in with your story, how you ended up and advice.

PS. In my limited research, I have seen a slight movement for creating wider trails and/or converting some of the narrow trails into wider ones driven by the explosion of the SXS market. Anyone else seeing this? If this perceived trend continues it could be a significant factor in choosing a 64" wide machine.

See less See more
#2 ·
So Michiganian here. I would just go 64". I went the 50" route and tried riding on 50" trails; the machines are too long and not nimble enough like a quad. Also the roll cage makes the vehicle like a brick going down tight trails hitting just about every tree branch. Tried it once, will not do it again. I recently converted my ride to 55" wide just to ride better on sand and improve cornering stability. Learn from my mistake, just get the 60" + machine. This based on Michigan 50" trails.

#3 ·
I completely agree with the previous post. I live in SE Michigan and my first RZR was 50” so I could ride everything available. However you soon realize the Michigan trails were designed for ATV’s and are often a real struggle in a trail RZR. I sold my 50” and got a XP4T and it is so much better for MI. I can ride the routes or the dunes way faster and more comfortable as well. You will not regret going wider!

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.